Anybody watch this Forged Alliance channel on youtube?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, May 25, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

link

EDIT: check the end of thread. I updated.
    Last edited: January 14, 2016
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I spent like a minute watching a bunch of transporters unload to some really dull music. What's the hook?
    Clopse likes this.
  3. tatsujb

@cwarner7264 epic gameplay, you maybe should have moved on to the second video in the playlist. it's way more "energetic" if that's what you're looking for.

Yet towards the end of the first you see some of the most epic pro-league gameplay ever when a t3 cybran player reroutes his entire Loyalist army around the back of the map using immobile mobile :) stealth generators all along the path and perfectly right outside the other player's visibility.

Utter genius.

I also love this other bit where in a 1 on 1 on [​IMG] blasted rock

the two players are down to their last simultaneously on both of their own corners of the map a clever uses of fire beetles (boom bots) is made and it stays down to the thread 'till the very end.

you should really give these videos a serious second go, just sayin :)

to explain the first couple minutes : it's a match of a high-rise underdog (keyser) versus a long time veteran and current throne holder (zockyzock).

Keyser is really doing fine albeit Zockyzock is using repetitive drops (often including functional stealth vehicles ) around the entire map, dwindling keyser's resources and ultimately winning him the game.

It's beautifully executed. Absolutely top of the line play but understandably not the most fun clip in their library.

They did have a thought for us and speed it up and it's classed fith in the countdown so...
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  4. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

I am now.
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

So what you're saying is that it could use some commentary to explain to us less clued-in in the FA competitive scene rather than just music? You seem pretty on top of it - you should offer them some voice-over commentary Tatsu.

I appreciate my first comment came across as abrasive but the point stands - open commentary like that you just provided is what stops that being a cliquey bit of showing off and turns it into a useful video and consequently a channel I'd consider following :)
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  6. tatsujb

Oh gosh are you kiddin??

I'm DYING to! Just you wait untill my end of year partials are over! :)

I had LuXun over at my place once we almost did a dual cast but he said we'd do one as soon as he has good internet.

admitedly the channel I linked is destined towards top players (or at least players who really know what's up), these clips are cut and assembled by the pro league on FAF (C.F.), and their prime talent isn't necessarily honey-voices. As such they are mostly interesting if you already know at a glance what you're looking at.

Even though Gyle (popular faf caster) right now is turning into a God for the people watching him (I am subscribed and a patreon donor as well) for me and any pros his casts are often a pain to watch as he often finds dandelions to marvel at while the play of the century is happening a couple feet or on the opposite end of where he's looking at. :rolleyes:

it's okay though. he more than makes up for it with buttloads of hillarious wordplay and a voice that rivals morgan freeman.
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  7. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

As a non faf player I just thought the first few drops were more bad awareness from the opponent rather than good moves. So I stopped due to someone not telling me what was so good about it :p.
    stuart98, zihuatanejo and cwarner7264 like this.
  8. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

That's the thing about gameplay, it really isn't watchable unless you know what's going on. And even good commentary doesn't really help because there's just so omuch going on, a caster can't possibly convey all relevant information at once. That's the thing about eSports. I can understand a football game even though I don't play, or basketball or whatever (baseball less so!), or at least you can get the gist, but videogames can be so complicated you just haven't got a chance.
  9. tatsujb

see that's the thing.

people often forget about the mobile stealth field generator that's it's one of the very very rare units who's ability isn't shut off when boarding a transport. as such the drop even within radar vision, is not detected.

(second thing people forget about that unit : if you load it in last it doesn't count as a slot and overlaps with another unit, allowing you to drop 7 units counting it)

And it's also a tendency when we see full vision during a replay to assume a player's doing really bad when really his vision of things are very different.

I realize the commentary is missing. what can you do?

they made this series for pros and among that scene it has great success thus far.

and keyser is fuckin amazing :
    [​IMG]

heck I played a tourney with him back when he was only 1400, back then he looked at me as his equal.

From there i kinda spiraled downwards and he skyrocketed (CURSE-U SCHOOOOL!!)
    Clopse likes this.
  10. tatsujb

11. jables

jables Uber Employee

Good to see it still going strong :) FA is still one of my all time favorites I've gotten to work on.
    squishypon3 and tatsujb like this.
  12. tatsujb

why thanks yeah we have a big community on youtube.

Sheppard (on youtube theForgedAllianceColonel) makes two types of videos, tutorial for absolute beginners and finding the most "special" or unique moments in simulated projectiles and leet play.

Gyle is our pride. He has a golden voice and is sent the best teammatch replays. His casts are a delight.

two to get you started. I have more fun watching these three channels than any other type of casts or livestreams.
  13. tatsujb

this is TA4life :
  14. tatsujb

not same playlist but same channel. Really fun seton's play to watch and on top of that Point of View - style video.

Last edited: October 24, 2015
  15. dom314

Literally just watched this one xD.
    tatsujb likes this.
  16. tatsujb

not too shabby eh? hope you could tolerate the accent. these guys are from afghanistan I think.
    dom314 likes this.
  17. dom314

Love the accents. There was a german sounding one in there too I think? Pretty cool game though.
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

personaly i am watchin gylecast and brink of insanity for the most part
  19. tatsujb

huh. didn't know you watched FAF casts. I really like both casters. Do you play at all?
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

no, i simply got tired of the powergaps between tiers and the inclusion of HQ's finaly pushed me over the edge to leave the game behind from playing it .. before that i mostly played cybran in the late gpgnet days

i however still enjoy casts heck i even watch starcraft casts even though i don't like playing the game ... watching and playing a game are 2 different things ..