A suggestion to Uber on how to improve ladder (maps)

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by andreasgg, September 9, 2015.

1. andreasgg

andreasgg Well-Known Member

Dear Uber and Citizens of PA
    I kindly ask you to take the time and read this post so that we together can improve the ladder :) (if you are in a rush or dyslexic, jump down to the bold section)

As you all know by now the 1v1 ladder is not in the place it should be. We are all familiar with the issues that simply ruins a bit of the experience. The list include points such as:

1. Glicko being a bad visual ladder. Partly because is locks down the players rating and does not motivate players to play a lot.

2. The ladder not being scrollable

This points has been discussed up and down and jables has in the three question a day event stated that there will be changes to the ranking system which we are all grateful for.

What I want to address in this post though is another aspect of the ladder. I am talking about the laddering maps in particular. Today we have a roster of around 5-10 ubermade maps that the players have to play over and over. This helps the players familiarize themselves with the maps, get to know the different aspects of them and be creative with starts. This is not too bad, but I still think there is something that needs to be done. I am not tempted to play the ladder simply because (including those two up there) I get so bored with the maps. I for instance got creg 5 times in a row this other day. That is just not funny. I personally think it is terrible that we have a game with almost endless possible maps and still we have to play the same once over and over again. I didn’t play ranked before TITANS because of it. As mentioned over, it is not bad to play the same map some times and familiarize yourself with them, but when it is the same 7 over and over without anything different… you get the point right?

I therefor suggest to you Uber that in addition to your Uber maps there will be a roster of 5 community maps. The maps will not be permanent, but will be voted in and stay on the ladder for a period of five weeks. There will be a new vote every week were the map that has bin there for five weeks are subbed with a new map that is voted in. The maps will be made by and voted in by the citizens of uber aka the community.

Why would we do something like this? It is fine as it is, or? Oh I have so many good reasons, so where do I start?

1. It would make the diversity on the ladder bigger, aka more fun

2. You would always have a new challenge to face, a new map to nail. A reason to come back.

3. The ladder would not only be determined by the skills on some certain maps, but by your skill in general. You would now have to adapt to some new maps from time to time.

4. The experience would not always be the same, as it is today.

5. It would motivate even more players to get in the system editor and make new maps. More good maps= more fun J This is something we need in PA!! This is what makes the game so fun.

6. Lets face it, you (Uber) are not the only once who know how to make a good map. Yes you have some nice maps, but I think the community can make just as good maps and even some better ;) Lets see this maps in ranked. Lets see people battle over fame and honor on them.

7. You would see a bigger variety in the maps on the ladder. Not only one type (small and csg filled/ large and naval dominated/ you get it)

8. You will still have the old legendmaps (forge etc) together with some amazing new maps.

9. [fill in more resons here by posting them under if you feel like it]

So what do you say community? Is this something we want? Ive talked to some players and they all like the idea, and now I want to hear your opinion. What do you thnk? And what do you think uber?
    Show that you support this idea by like or comment. Also tell me if you think it is stupid :)

Andreas G signing out

**** what a post… This turned in to a novel (sorry about that )
    Last edited by a moderator: September 9, 2015
    Remy561, pieman90, elodea and 12 others like this.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I concur. However a redesigned ranking algorithm means a lot of work.
    elodea and warrenkc like this.
  3. andreasgg

You dont realy need to redesign anything for my proposial to work :) you just have to add and remove the winning community maps. I do agree that it needs redesigning, but for now I think this would be the best step to take (and coolest)
    Last edited by a moderator: September 9, 2015
  4. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Anything to stop getting crag 9 times in a row again.

---
    This is a great idea, hope to see it get implemented
    elodea, warrenkc and andreasgg like this.
  5. sevmek

sevmek Active Member

I like your idea.
    warrenkc and andreasgg like this.
  6. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Great idea!
    warrenkc and andreasgg like this.
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I'll remove YOU.

AG, this is a good compromise between random maps all the time and set maps. Great idea!
    stuart98 and andreasgg like this.
  8. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

@andreasurne for president. I like it but does Uber like it and do they have the time for stuff like this? Find out in the next episode of Uber entertainment!
    mot9001, elodea and andreasgg like this.
  9. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

More big maps. Remove crag.
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. andreasgg

This guyes and a lot more can be done through my suggestion! If the community wants bigger maps, guess what, then they are gonna vote for a bigger 1v1 map. And we are not stuck with it forever. Guess what, its gonna be gone in 5 weeks and replaced by anothe epic map (or revoted in again) I love the thought that zetox can be seen on the ladder together with a lot of amazing other maps. How cool isnt that?
  11. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

This is a fantastic idea!
    Uber may think some maps just don't work in ranked so they will have to have some kind of control and restrictions (for example number of planets, size of planets, amount of metal etc). I think it would be a good idea if Uber makes a list or map pack with a lot of maps they would be happy to have in ranked and each person can vote for 1 (or maybe 2? or more?) of them.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  12. andreasgg

It not bad, but I still don't think this is the essence of my idea. The whole point is that it is going to be additional community maps (those 5), and not Ubermaps. This is not about what uber prefers but about what we who actually play the game prefers. Yeh it should be some limits in terms of metal, radius and number of planets (cuz of lagg)

A way to do this would be that Uber gave away the whole responsibility to a member of the community (a mod or whatever) and that person made sure to open threads for nominations and poles for voting. Then this person could just send the winning map file to Uber. That way all that Uber actually has to do is to add and remove aka they are happy, we are happy and the ladder is better :)
  13. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Maybe a similar system to the weekly video contest for determining what maps to use. :D
    andreasgg likes this.
  14. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Each map should get its own video with a special song that you can/must dance to like the people in korea dancing to the sc2 map intro songs during some of the live events.
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. pieman90

pieman90 Active Member

But that might isolate the player base that don't know about the forums. Or just add a thing to the leader boards where you can vote on maps.
    No
    Just make it appear less often, I hate it but not enough to want to remove it (like styx), but more big maps would be nice.
    stuart98 likes this.