A non-programmer question about version-numbers

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Schulti, June 13, 2013.

1. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

Hello,

i wonder whats the version number is about.
    0.49xxx -> why is it "49"? and not, let´s say 35?
    And whats about the last 3 numbers ("455" in the last built)?
    Why isn´t the next built from 49303 49304?

Why are these numbers so or who said so?
    It´d be interesting if someone could it explain to me.

Thx
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Just a guess: the next number up is the next build.

But, it's not the next build that gets released. I suspect that each tiny change is given it's own unique number (because of version control and nifty tools that let you revert changes back automatically).
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

4. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

Ok, thank you.
    Good to know.
  5. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

Since it's just a check-in count, version 100001 is going to be higher than version 98765, so putting a "0." in front of the internal versioning (e.g. v0.98765 to v0.100001) is going to confuse some people when we hit the extra digit. I'd recommend just sticking to the numbers as presented by the client ;)

For all we know, Uber may change the numbering at some point to something more conventional anyway.
  6. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Firstly that preceding zero doesn't exist anywhere I've seen.
    The current in-game watermark is v.49455, v. being short for version I assume.

Furthermore, the current number represents ~2 years of check-ins across numerous projects.

Based on the build number and timing of recent Alpha releases they're currently averaging <500 check-ins per week at what is imagine a pretty hectic time.

So given the code-base will calm down, with features getting bedded down and the bugs requiring more time hunting than actually writing the code to fix them, there's YEARS to go before they hit 100,000.

By which time the game would have "gone gold", and they'll probably have long abandoned the build release nomenclature in favour of a more familiar versioning number system.

e.g. Major.Minor.Build
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I'm not sure we need to change to another build id system. This one as the nice property of us being able to figure out if a specific check-in is in the build. Version doesn't really mean anything anyway and the old school major.minor type thing was for when we did far fewer updates to the game.
  8. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Sure. Your current approach makes perfect sense to me.
    But then I work with repositories too and am accepting of change from the norm. ;)

Edit: My hybrid proposal/speculation would put you currently at 0.1.49455 (i.e. pre-release.alpha.check-in)
    Beta: 0.2.xxxxx
    Post-release: 1.0.xxxxx
    Big new feature: 1.1.xxxxx
    PA 2 ( ;)) 2.0.xxxxx