2 months to release and the game feels like pre-alpha and is a letdown. Please delay the release.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by larse, October 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

They're already on a very shoestring budget to make this game. How will they pay to extend development that long?
  2. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

And how do you know that they don't have money to continue development after next 2 months? What's your source?

Oh - and: releasing unfinished version of the game can bring much more harm than good. See: Mechwarrior: Online. Sword of the Stars 2. It basically kills community, as people (and/or reviewers) try initial version - see it's garbage - and never come back. So you cut all of the possible sources of income from future DLCs/Expansion packs. Sometimes pushing bit above initial budget can be much more beneficial for profits than throwing unfinished game out on a market.
  3. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

December.
    Even if it was end of january, I wouldn't believe that the game would be remotely near completion.

The point is not to make Uber realize anything, but casually discuss what could happen if.
    wilhelmvx and kalherine like this.
  4. drunkpeewee

drunkpeewee New Member

It's already on steam, I don't know how sales are going but everyone can contribute money as it is. It's likely sales will bump through the Christmas period regardless of beta or full release
  5. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I guess the problem is Uber hasn't said anything about what state they're in, and whether they think they will make the December release. I think everyone is pretty concerned the game can never be finished in a good enough state for December, but we haven't had any word from Uber over what the plans are and if development might be extended.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  6. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

There we go. So I don't see any reason why should you be concerned right now about "How will they pay to extend development that long?" when Uber said exactly nothing about that. Nor anyone of us knows how well (or not) did the Steam Early Access went.
    heyiisrandom, Quitch and bradaz85 like this.
  7. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

If you know anything about Uber, they don't tend to say ANYTHING unless it's a concrete response to something they have a definite answer to, or are making an important announcement. So "they haven't said anything" on its own isn't a reason for worry.
    drunkpeewee likes this.
  8. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I can confirm that. Look at SOTS 2. It's an awesome game, but it got released 6 months to 1 year too early. THe result: Very low scores that keep everyone away even when the game is polished, lots and lots of people that demanded refunds, bad reviews and worst of all it crippled kerberos (the company that made it) who are now forced into making low cost Indie games just to get by and continue to patch it. I'm all in for pushing back the release date, if it can be afforded, because I have seen the results of forced releases and what it can do to a game and the company that made it. If there is one bonus to not having a publisher: this is it.

Grimseff, bradaz85 and shootall like this.
  9. comham

comham Active Member

Kickstarter release dates have been flouted before, I wouldn't be surprised if it took till a few months in to 2014 to see PA finished.
  10. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

I think the problem is that they choose to write this game from the ground-up. Hell, to make a finished polite game with all the proposed features from the ground-up, even a big software company would take years.

I think they extended themself too much. For example if they'd choose to use an engine such Unity they would have be able to focus on the game itselft only.

At this point, I believe they should not add any new features to the game, but instead they should just try to make a good and a fun game out of what they already got. Then maybe add new features only with patches after release.

What I would love for example, is if Uber could implement the same graphics used for the trailer. If if watch a video gameplay and the trailer I see two completly differnet styles
    Last edited: October 27, 2013
  11. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

Oh... not this BS again.
    Seriously... that's getting boring.

Unity! An ultimate answer for everything every time.
    Dude, if they'd use engine as poor in capabilities as Unity - they wouldn't be able to do half the things they're doing now. Forget about planetary warfare, forget about replay system, forget about dedicated rendering engine, forget about...oh... why am I even doing this list?
    PA wouldn't be PA if not the engine they wrote for this game. Unity might look attractive if you're new to game industry, but it's very limited engine in many ways, unable to reproduce everything promised to the community in kickstarter campagin.

I, unlike you, have faith in decision Uber made opting for their own engine. They - unlike you - are industry veterans with years of experience in building strategy games, so they're more than capable of choosing right tool for the job.
  12. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

wow,
    this thread is depressing :(

Ye of little faith,
    You underestimate the skills and intellect of the developers and the community.
    I'm sure between both Uber and the people whom contribute to assisting in the Development (Modders and community members who assist in getting people into the game) we'll get this title into a state where its worthy of everyone's appreciation :p
    LavaSnake likes this.
  13. maxpowerz

Also i would like to state
    UNITY is CRAP
    I know I have a developers copy of it (Unity 3D) :p its not designed for this style of title.
    It's main focus is rendering 3D in WEBROWSER'S or the IOS platform, using it as a stand alone engine is totally worthless unless you have no programming skills and need a SIMPLE drag and DROP game creation studio :p
    LavaSnake and skywalkerpl like this.
  14. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Little faith? I wouldn't bet on divine intervention for the success of a computer game. Usually ancient gods are not very good with modern technology...

(Personally I don't expect PA to be a good game in this year yet, balancing alone usually takes at least one months to get in a state that can be called good. But who knows. I only want acess to the server finally so I can mod the game to reverse some of the silly things we've now got. Like remove all current orbitals on the verdict of "who thought THAT was a good idea?". ;) )
    bradaz85 likes this.
  15. maxpowerz

I Believe in intellect .. lol
  16. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

What new features are left to add? I can only think of unit cannons (if that counts) and possibly a mini map.

The game lacks units, balance and polish. None of these are worth sacrificing.
  17. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Most of the actual lengthy tedious groundwork has already been done by now, so future development is probably going to keep speeding up
    gabooo likes this.
  18. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

Hm.. where to start?
    - Gas Gigants
    - Galactic warfare (including missions system)
    - "interface allows you to control massive armies spread across multiple worlds with ease"
    - Multiple screen support
    - Modding capacity making it possible to create new game types.
    - Various post-processing effects (recent addition of HDR is surely welcome)
    - Integration of lore in game
    - Ice asteroids
    - Tsunami waves
    - Amphibious units
    - Space Platforms
    - Option to choose commanders and commander-specific features
    - Geothermal plants / liquid metal processing mines for Lava planets
    - Re-activating features on metal planets / repairing metal planets.
    And so on.

These are just from very quick search through PA kickstarter page.
  19. unconsumable

unconsumable New Member

Dunno, but just imagine the game will be out soon, given that they dont have a huge marketing budget, how would you advertise it to your friends to get them playing?
    right now it would be alot ahhs and uhhms, maybe a few "potential" inbetween. And then imagine some paid critics do this, which regularly play games and compare PA to games that have millions spend on polishing alone...
    The only people that are accepting such a "could-be" likely already paid...
  20. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

I'm hoping Uber proves all the naysayers wrong (including Chris Taylor, no offense to him).
    Uber knows what they promised. Uber knows their finances and their release schedule.
    I am sure that they understand game sales more than any of us armchair critics.

Yes, the state of the game on release is very important.
    I'm pretty sure a Total Biscuit video can rake in tons of buyers, assuming it's in great shape when he does his review.
    There are a ton more features yet to make it into the beta, but nobody really knows what they have or have not built and just not released to us.

A lot of those "features" are very unique ones, with very unique mechanics.

Personally, I would feel a lot more confident about the state of this game if the major issues had at least some sort of visible progress.

- Scale
    - I-can-see-everything-view (that I'm not calling a minimap)
    - Multi-window
    - UI built for 100,000 unit armies.

p.s.
    In terms of sales, Xmas is a hoooooorible time for a niche game to be released.
    - New consoles.
    - Steam winter sale
    - AAA titles are coming out.
    - People are caught up in holiday festivities

I think everybody needs to just need to take a chill pill.
    Grimseff, LavaSnake, sur5or and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.