You have obviously bad Community management.

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by starsauron, August 20, 2015.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I've used capslock this week more than I have in the last three months. I don't want to make yelling a habit but some people...

Good thing I never became a teacher. I don't have the patience for that crap.
    radongog and Gorbles like this.
  2. starsauron

starsauron Member

Man uber is now more worse than Electronic Arts.
    Electronic Arts allows any mods.
    Electronic Arts allows to bring any units in any RTS made by them.

By RA3 there has been after some month a mod with new units from RA3 Uprising.
    Its OK for them to have by Tiberium Wars 3 a mod that brings units from Kanes Wrath
    and you can play this mod online.

Now disable a mod that brings PA-Titans Units in the Basic game PA,
    makes uber more worse than Electronic Arts.

There is a mod that Brings Universe at War Units and Factions to the game Starwars Empire at War by Petroglyph. They have no Problems with that too.

There is a mod that Brings Goblin and Elf Faction from Battle for Middle-Earth II: to the game Battle for Middle-Earth I, playable online.

There are so many Mods that Bring Warcraft 3 to the Game Starcraft 2.

Its unethical to disable Mods that bring own content to own games. Every other company allows that.

With this decision Uber Entertainment achieved totally the money greedy, don't care community award.
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

You don't have a great handle on ethics, do you?
    Bsport, ace63, stuart98 and 3 others like this.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

No. Just no. Uber is not worse than EA. Certainly not because they're not making it easy for people to essentially steal paid content.
    stuart98 and xanoxis like this.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

This thread obviously have bad subforum section belonging management.

xanoxis, stuart98 and tunsel11 like this.
  6. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

I think Uber walked into this one by giving it to KS backers for free when really it should be everyone who had to pay. Yes that doesn't afffect me, I don't mind personally but I see no obvious reason any groups would be entitled to a free copy of PA:T.
  7. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Nobody ever would be happy. If you give it away for everyone, Uber has no money and can't make more of PA. If you give away game to specific group, not all, that group will complain. If you dont give it for free for anyone, people say its a scam and money grab of course.

Most sane idea would be probably making tiers of discount, like 85% for 90 EA, 75% for 60 EA and 66% for rest. But I really doubt its possible and Uber would probably do that if Steam would allow.
    Gorbles and stuart98 like this.
  8. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

That blank stare of your friends and co-owners of your company the moment you presented that new business case. Priceless.
    (Sorry, I couldn't resist, no really I couldn't)

After all the discussions I had now, I don't believe that not giving PA:T as present to the Kickstarter, would have caused any less of an upset. The arguments would have been different, but there are plenty of other reasons left.
    MrTBSC, Gorbles and stuart98 like this.
  9. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

Yes but there wouldn't be more people upset either and it basically achieved nothing but cost Uber potential money. I might like Uber's work but at the end of the day you care about your customers and listen to them to make even more money, and if doing so didn't help them in this case and I can't say I support giving stuff out for free to anyone who kickstarted the game. Again, I like Uber's work but I realize I'm their customer and not their spoiled child who must have everything.
  10. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I happen to think that the outrage would be significantly less profound. But, I think I'd rather have people complain about business ethics than look for things to complain about in the game; not pointing out bugs and what-not could help sales versus not mentioning Uber Entertainment and pointing out the bugs.
  11. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

If I had the money I'd be spending it all on popcorn. Why watch Stargate when you can watch people debase themselves for free on the internet?

Hilarious.
  12. Gorbles

Does anybody else see this thread on the forum index and assume it autocompletes to Communism?

I keep on getting disappointed when I click on it :(
  13. X39

X39 New Member

the same stupids who flamed before would still flame plus a few people who did not understand anything because of lacking communication skills of UBER PR

now you got ton of EA customers being upset because we are treated different then KS whilst 30k paid WAY less then i did
    that people who got the game at 5$ discount get the extension for the same ammount like i do is also not doing positive to the situation

in the end either PA:T is a scam for the EA or the EA itself was a scam which should make EA guys like me even more angry as the price was justified by "we dont want our KS to get upset by giving it away for less blabla"
  14. Gorbles

Still failing to grasp that concept of risk. Have you even read this thread?
  15. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Treated differently isn't the only argument, at least not what I saw. If Uber had charged everyone you had Kickstarter and EA backers being upset because they paid upfront and now need to purchase PA:T again, It doesn't matter if this is a valid argument or not, the fact that they perceived it this way is enough. I don't see how this would have lead to smaller upset. Even if they lowered the price to $10 (since you get additional money now you can lower the average price) wouldn't help anything.
    The other option Uber had would have been not selling it at all. But it should be clear that then none of the changes that came from PA:T and were back ported to PA would have ever been made. Just for the simple reason that there is no budget when you not at least sell something.
    elkanfirst likes this.
  16. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

I'd put it down differently. On Kickstarter if a project doesn't get funded, no one pays a dine. The money transaction for PA happened only after PA reached its goals. And since it smashed all the optional thresholds, backers had a reasonably feeling of not really risking that much of their money (well, so I suspect that but I'm not a backer so...).

On Early Access on the other hand buyers are invited to fund and *purchase* a product with the promise that it will reasonably be realized. Also Uber got like 4 times more from EA than from KS. And on EA there is no refund, the product is technically pre-sold, and people reasonably expect it to be delivered at some point (personally I've never been in a hurry to see it completed, 'cos development takes time).

There may be many readings about the difference between KS and EA. I won't say you're wrong Quitch, but it's obvious that thousands of other people have a different opinion than yours. Would you go that far to state that they're all wrong? I hope not.

What pissed a good part of EA customers is that PA has never been completed (and this is also exposed to subjective readings, no doubt). What disappointed me in the specific is that PA has been retired from sale after not even a year while Uber promised a long term project and no further payment unless for additional contents.

And that's the point for many. Uber introduced in PA:Titans things that belong to the core game, like a proper tutorial (apparently still broken by the way) at the price of a full game. Of course people feel fooled.

At Uber they're not stupid, they know how to realize amazing products and PA:Titans is undoubtedly a good game. It looks magnificent I'm not questioning that. They surely know how to make their math as well, and it doesn't need to benefit their customers after all. But that doesn't mean that customers need to accept everything that comes from Uber. Plus there is not "customers", everyone is a single individual, with their own personal perspective.

What I fail to understand is how some of you guys keep denying that Steam customers feel fooled by how Uber handled the Titans update. Or that others might have different views than yours.

That's a bit inelegant. And worse, the more you reject an idea, the more it comes back kicking you in the butts.

On the side of this, I wonder if PA:Titans will have a lifespan even shorter than PA:vanilla, and if we'll be asked to pay once more for other patches.

So you see, someone might think that throwing money at Uber doesn't necessarily benefit the customers base, and keeping them to their promises it's actually a honest thing to do. Therefore it's not surprisingly that many will refuse to support Uber in any future KS or EA campaign.

You can't really get angry with them. It's their own money after all.
  17. Gorbles

Once funded, a developer could still take off with the backers' money.

On Steam, this is literally impossible, because you're paying directly for a product that gets added to your account instantly.

I don't know why I have to keep repeating this in the same thread.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  18. tracert

tracert Member

AFAIK Uber said there would never be huge titan units in the original game and that there is nothing in Titans that was promised to be in the original. I agree an interactive tutorial should have been included.

It's only full price if you've never owned PA.

What promises has Uber broken?
  19. starsauron

starsauron Member

In my Opinion the worst is, that still after 2 weeks there is no official statement.
    Anyway there are a lot of other true indie developers and they will get support they need.

What promises has Uber broken? Early Access promise any update will come for free, so beside the new units titans, this stuff must be for free for PA owners too.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I don't think anything Uber can say would calm down the issue. Thing is there are two groups of people that are angry: people who are just unhappy about not getting stuff and people who basically just want to see the world burn.
    Any attempt to talk to the first group would just stir the flames with the second group, as they will twist any word they don't like around in whatever way they please. They don't really care for reason. I am not accusing anybody in specific of being like that, but it is obvious it's mainly those people who really make the situation as bad as it is/was. The first group could be talked to, but the 2nd group prevents any talk at all by just screaming hatred around the moment anybody tries to say a reasonable argument. (I came to this conclusion mainly after many posts I made to calmy discussion the issues in some places quickly resulted in insults thrown at me instead of reasonable arguments)
    Ofc there are also people on "the pro uber"-side who're equally problematic and start to discuss with the 2nd group in a hateful manner, not trying to deny that.

So to calm stuff down the best thing is: Say nothing so the real problem makers leave due to boredom. This means some genuine unhappy supporters won't get their apology either, but the damage from keeping this discussion up would just be too big.
  21. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

I agree with you that there are people who can't reason, or don't want to.

Sadly I find this peculiar attitude a bit everywhere, also on people who support Uber in anything Uber might do. I totally understand that some of you guys really like PA at a degree to not being able to discern when Uber had done a good job, and when they didn't (mainly marketing and timing).

All those aspects related to PA have been discussed endlessly. So if someone didn't change their own mind yet, unlikely they will any time soon and that pretty much kills any hope to achieve any constructive dialogue. That's why I've learned how to ignore some.

For example, some of you might consider @bsergent a troll, but actually he explained calmly and neatly his own reasons. His posts are excellent by grammar and perfectly logic. One can disagree with him entirely, but it's hard to deny that he tried hard to communicate with the community in here.

Not many had dedicated so many efforts trying to get Uber responding to their questions.

Thousands of people feel fooled by Uber and denying this simple fact isn't making them disappearing, nor their reasons fading away. Issues one refuses to address, usually come back at some point.

See for example how the campaign for Human Resources ended up. At Uber there are people with great talent, who perhaps deserve better. But in the end Uber itself it's just a company, and the ultimate purpose of companies on average is to profit. There are several ways to do so, and perhaps Uber could do a bit better, and doing so achieving a better loyalty across their customers.

Dunno, I'm not a marketing guru. I've just seen how many got pissed at PA:Titans.

About the broken promises, there are few, and have been discussed already. To me one of the most relevant is that PA was supposed to be a long lasting project, and instead after not even a year it has been already killed. Now if I want to stay up to date with the community ('cos PA is mainly multiplayer) I'll have to buy a new game at full price (discounted only for a limited period of time). But I've bought it already at full price!

You can have your own reading and if different than mine I'll just that: "I've a different opinion of that", and I'll still respect yours. Why it's so difficult for many in here to respect others' point of view? That's not very mature.