WPMarshall's 1v1 'Into The Beta' Tournament

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wpmarshall, October 2, 2013.

1. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

Do we have any official opinion on Fair planets to play on? or will it be what the two players agree on?
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Sod it, I've registered. I reckon I'll be able to find the time!
  3. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

See you on the battlefield!
  4. fergie

fergie Member

I am also interested in this info, as of right now I only have 4GB of RAM so playing on a system with 3+ planets really isnt an option for me.....though I have more ram in the mail, I know it wont be here for the first round
  5. Murcanic

I would say unless a new update comes out changing interplanetary warfare we should play on 1 planet systems as no stalemates can occur then :) unless of course your commander dies from you killing the other commander as the game counts that as a draw. but we could always say the first one to explodes loses :p
  6. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I think until quarterfinals we should use single planet systems with scale 2 (maybe 3). I'm not entirely sure how random generation works since the latest patches. Could someone fill me in on that please?
    Murcanic likes this.
  7. kingjohnvi

kingjohnvi Member

I have only been using random systems. Right now, a randomly generated system appears to always have 2 planets of whatever scale is chosen for the planets (as you can simply press generate new system if you don't get a scale you like). The larger the scale, the larger the planet and corresponding amount of metal. Based on my experience, scale 2 planets range from very small to small, and are usually suitable for 1v1 maps. However, I have found that most scale 3 planets are also suitable for 1v1 matches, as they range from small to medium size, though they could be large enough for 3 or even 4 players in some cases as the generation is random.

Personally, I have found that metal is very rare, proportionally, on scale 2 maps, and is somewhat more common on scale 3 maps. As a result, games on scale 2 maps are somewhat more dependent upon the luck of the starting position. If you start with more metal nearby, it will be yours. Scale 3 allows a little more wiggle room to try and find additional metal before you are surrounded and destroyed, and seems to have better balanced overall starting locations.

In my opinion, we should not use anything below scale 2 or above scale 3, that would make for very poor 1v1 matches.

Personally, I also think we should use scale 3 planets over scale 2 planets, as we would have fewer restarts and fewer wins based upon luck, as opposed to skill, and it would also prevent the optimal rush strategy that is currently being implemented and dominating games on small maps. Of course, as the tournament director, it is entirely up to you.

We can also require that people not take their commander off the starting planet to prevent the current "I'm floating in space between planets and therefore unkillable" situation from arising.
    Last edited: October 9, 2013
  8. luxun17

luxun17 New Member

With the current optimisation of the game, scale 3 planets are pretty hard to run for some computers.
    I'd really rather to play to some scale 2 planets to avoid lags.
  9. Murcanic

I've had many Scale two games where I spawn right next to the other person and there is very little metal... leading the game to be won by the one who com rushes best... I'd rather scale 3 single planet also with the new gen system it loads the planet you spawn on both on sever and your computer before the match begins The green light in top Right hand corner will appear and that tells you all the players have genned the planet :)
  10. luxun17

luxun17 New Member

Yes i saw this loading improvement it's very good, but it changes nothing to the lag in late game. :)
    I agree scale 1 planets looks to be rush com only, however scale2 planets looks more like you can use your com offensively from what i saw.
    I definitly understand a good number of people would rather scale 3, but choosing scale 2 can be a "generous" way to allow more players to take part and have fun into the tournament.
  11. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Scale 2 is fine. But not random generated. Just make a medium
    Sized scale 2 with decent metal placement.
    fergie and luxun17 like this.
  12. wpmarshall

At what radius does scale 2 become scale 3? You could always hit it right on the mark or take 50 off for a 1v1 planet?
  13. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

14. Clopse

620 radius moon. That's 21 for us still using the imperial system. :D.
  15. wpmarshall

*Stands to attention*

"Yes Sir! I'll get right on it Sir!"
  16. wpmarshall

As soon as I'm back from University this evening I'll have a little play with the editor and finalise a size.
    Clopse likes this.
  17. wpmarshall

Last few hours for sign-ups!
  18. wpmarshall

Aaaaaand we're off! The game is a Afoot!
    Clopse likes this.
  19. Clopse

congrats, how did the map work out for you last night?
  20. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

wait what? we are playing with a foot? 0.o