[REL] Two Color Icons 1.4.1 / Brighter 1.2.1 [82369]

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by wondible, June 6, 2014.

1. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Mostly works with 86422 (Titans), but there are new UI icon instances (e.g. combat alerts) that are not patched.

Two mods - regular and brighter (see below)

Two Color Icons

Shadow strategic icon shader to make the outline team secondary color, white when selected.

- https://github.com/JustinLove/two_color_icons
    - http://wondible.com/pa/two_color_icons_v1.4.1.zip
    - PAMM

Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 21.16.42 .png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-03 at 21.50.59 .png

(screenshot is from my dark display; actual results may be closer to the brighter version below.)

Changelog

Version 1.4.1

- Fix a file not found (which apparently wasn't too significant)

Version 1.4.0

- Special case outline to black if primary and secondary are exactly equal

Two Color Icons - Brighter

For people like me with dark video systems (PA#4150), who can finally tell orange and red apart.

Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 21.01.31 .png

- https://github.com/JustinLove/two_color_icons_brighter
    - http://wondible.com/pa/two_color_icons_brighter_v1.2.1.zip
    - PAMM

Changelog

Version 1.2.1

- Fix a file not found (which apparently wasn't too significant)

Version 1.2.0

- Special case outline to black if primary and secondary are exactly equal

Attached Files:

Last edited: August 20, 2015
    andrehsu, Quitch, mishtakashi and 9 others like this.
  2. wondible

I've been seeing some dark-dark combinations. I brightened the outline 20%; 50% made the selection highlight hard to distinguish.
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. wondible

I've haven't seen a bad (illegible, your sense of taste may disagree) color combination in several games. May still be out there, but it's way better than the default. Released to PAMM.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I'll try this out, let you know how it feels. At the least it will make things easier to see.
  5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

AFAIK this is compatible with all icon mods that don't mess with the shaders. This includes Transicons.
  6. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

:D YES :D

why have I not seen this earlier? oh wait... exams..... :oops:
  7. stonewood1612

So far so good, except for GW. I think the 20% increase shouldn't be applied in GW. I was playing as purple and my ally's icons looked pink. Also my units have a white border, that is just slightly darker than when selected.

So if you can make it so that the 20% increase doesn't happen in GW I'll be even more pleased.

I was waiting for this mod since like... when the game came out at first?
  8. wondible

I was surprised it didn't exit.

The problem is that it's a file override, and I doubt game mode is provided to the shader. Since shaders need a full restart to get changes, I don't think memory files would work, even if I wanted to step into the minefield of unmountAllMemoryFiles.

I haven't been playing much GW because of the coherent crashes. It's possible that a different effect for selected would make sense.
  9. stonewood1612

It didn't crash a single time! :D

Maybe the selection effect should just turn the whole icon brighter (instead of making the borders white)? When I was playing GW, my icon borders were pretty much white, when selected they were slightly brighter. Bright enough so that I noticed it. But dunno if other people would have noticed it as much as I did.

So I played a normal game vs some AIs and I must say that purple really shouldn't benefit from the 20% brightness increase, it makes it look pink in disgusting way...

So I don't know if you can only apply the 20% brightness increase to a specific color (combination), if so leave the purple.

Other than that, I love this mod already!
  10. wondible

I was actually thinking about making the body darker, GS tends to have fairly bright colors, so this should be a visible effect.
  11. stonewood1612

Well that's what I meant in other words, have the icon be darker normally, and the whole thing turns brighter when selected.

or maybe they should glow... :rolleyes:
  12. wondible

Note to self:

PTE has changed gl version

68253 made logical changes to icon shader.
  13. wondible

Update Two Color Icons to version 1.1

- bring GLSL version in line with game
    - incorporate highlight glow effect
    - remove depreciated modinfo fields
  14. wondible

Two Color Icons 1.2, Mod the icons in the player list panel to have the secondary color outline

[​IMG]
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  15. wondible

Make a Two Color Icons - Brighter version for dark video systems; removed the separate brightening of the outline since colors aren't as big of an issue for me.

[​IMG]
  16. wondible

Two Color Icons 1.3 - Remove extra brightness on outline color; it was probably needed because of my dark display. See alternate Two Color Icons - Brighter mod.
  17. wondible

@lyrid discovered that the brightness issue is gamma correction. I actually over-brightened a little for legibility, so now I'm debating whether to stay with that, or go for color accuracy. I did some unrelated testing on a large-player server and got a color pair that was slightly distinguishable in the UI player icon, but pretty much the same in the in-game icon, so that's a vote for accuracy.
  18. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

I'm pretty sure that this mod breaks the player list for team games. This seems to happen when playing with either the AI in single player, or human players in multi-player. In both team game modes, all you get is what is pictured below. It lists the second team as AI and disconnected, and your team is not listed properly either. This happens whether the team is shared, or not shared.

upload_2014-11-10_12-23-58.png

As soon as I turn off the mod and start over, I see the full player list as expected:

upload_2014-11-10_12-29-1.png
    wondible likes this.
  19. wondible

Two Color Icons 1.3.1 - Fix broken rendering of shared armies and spectator alliances

Brighter 1.1.0 - as above, plus switch to gamma-adjustment for color correction
  20. wondible

Two Color Icons 1.4.0 / Brighter 1.2.0 - Special case outline to black if primary and secondary are exactly equal