[WIP][Server] Imperial Legion (Faction)

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by Nicb1, June 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doud

doud Well-Known Member

stuart98, Crembels, Nicb1 and 2 others like this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Actually I wonder back to your first point, instead of preventing vanilla + Legion shared, can't you just write some wizardry to prevent both types of fabber being selected at once? I mean that is the only edge case where the build menus would be a pain from what I can think of?
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Yes we can probably do that but I can already see the "I can't select my fabbers together" complaint from people in-game :p
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. cdrkf

Maybe a mini mod for the mod then? (that way those using it will know of limitations before hand)... Though I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit :p
  5. killerkiwijuice

well after the mod is released we could look into that but for now I think we're going to stick with the lobby thing :p
    Nicb1 and cdrkf like this.
  6. cdrkf

7. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Sorry for the lack of updates. Recently I've just been trying to sort out some life stuff (Should all be good soon), so I havent had too much of a chance to work on as many models as usual.
    @KillerKiwiJuice is also gone for about a week.

Recently we've been debating on the texture's to use for this faction. In the end we decided to go very close to vanilla with just a subtle metal texture to it. Thank @mgmetal13 for the awesome textures :)
    (Below is a side by side comparison of the basic legion turret and the vanilla basic turret.)
    [​IMG]

Today @Crembels just finished up some concepts for our T1 naval so I will be looking at turning those into models soon. (As usual a lot of the time the final model ends up looking a bit different to the concept.)

(Naval T1 Scout/Raider)
    [​IMG]
    (Naval T1 Destroyer)
    [​IMG]

And lastly I wasn't planning on posting this, but here's a recent WIP model of the Earthshaker T2 tank. It consists of a hammer in the centre which will impact the ground and cause a shockwave similar to that of the old commander landing FX. I must stress this is WIP, but criticism is still welcome.
    [​IMG]
  8. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Love the concept of that tank but please make sure it doesn't do damage to your own units. So this will sort od work like a boom bot that doesn't die when exploding?
    Nicb1 likes this.
  9. cdrkf

Thanks for the update!

All looking superb :) My only thought is a 'hammer' is kinda 'old skool' for futuristic robots... I don't think the model or basic idea needs to change, maybe just the animation:

What I'd like to see is the 'hammer' changed to something like a 'plasma tube' firing mechanism, that has a light (assuming a particle effect) that runs up and then down again when firing (a bit like some of the older 'warp coil' effects from star-trek), like it's building up a plasma burst to create the shock wave...
    Alpha2546 and Nicb1 like this.
  10. Nicb1

That's actually quite a good idea. Originally I was deciding between some kind of projectile weapon pointing downwards or a hammer but couldn't come up with a good idea for the former. I'll see about implementing your idea, thanks for the suggestion :)

@Ksgrip you need not worry as we do not plan on having any of our units cause damage to friendlies. The exact way in which this tank will work is still being talked about, but currently the idea is to have it be very aoe oriented and dealing low to average amounts of damage to surrounding enemy units, whilst having a lot of armour (whereas the Purger boom in T1 bots is more direct and a lot more damage since its a suicide unit much like the existing boombot).
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

hmmm ... bit skeptical about this one ... could be OP ...
  12. Nicb1

Was mainly concerned about the unit this one is replacing being too similar to the existing vanguard and wanted to try something different.

I'm sure that we can get this balanced, but if that ends up not being the case then we will revert back to the original unit we had.
  13. cdrkf

Don't worry about balance too much- remember the balance between two factions doesn't have to be symmetrical. This could be legions best T2 tank, whereas the Sheller is the king for Vanilla for example.

I like the idea of nice differences like this- actually if you think about it this unit will probably be the *ultimate* t1 swarm deterent, whilst being pretty week vs T2 units due to the need to get in close. I like the idea :)
    Ksgrip and Nicb1 like this.
  14. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Balance is really easy to achieve to certain levels and I can guarantie you this won't be difficult because pf what you have just observed. As it was detailed the faction is supposed to be op but really slow so this could be a perfect defense unit that gets near comms for protecting duties.

As I have already said, for anything related for code implememtation I'm here to help. That regards Ai, balance and some other basic stuff.
  15. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Just realized i had not commented about this video. Dude, this projectile effect is absolutly what i was expecting to get in vanilla and you bring it in the most beautifull way. Congrats for pushing the limits :cool:
    timp13 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  16. killerkiwijuice

Thanks. I also added a bullet casing effect (bullet shells fly off the barrel) although that was made after this video.
    doud likes this.
  17. Nicb1

Ah thought id post this as well. The model for the Tola anti orbital defence. It should be ingame fairly soon :)
    Im quite proud of how this model turned out.
    [​IMG]
    EDIT:
    It will likely be a beam type weapon for those who are interested.
  18. Nicb1

Just finished up the model for the T1 Air Factory. Kiwi added a few details to it such as the pipes and antenna.
    Not ingame yet, but it will be soon.

When not buildings the lathe arms open into the position shown in the image below and the platform in the centre lowers itself down (In the image below it is at full hight). When building the platform lifts up and the lathe arms move into an upright position.
    [​IMG]
    stuart98, kayonsmit101, ace63 and 5 others like this.
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Is that air factory... building a thunder?
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

It's bringing the thunder :p
    Raevn, stuart98 and Nicb1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.