[WIP] Megabot (Help found.)

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by squishypon3, April 22, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Oh, hello again people of the forums! I have decided to start work on a nice little mod pre-server release. Of course this will not actually be able to work until the server is released but it would be nice to have a little head start! I have already begun coding/balancing a superunit/megabot but a problem lies ahead of me. I have absolutely no idea how to bone objects in Blender! Specifically because said objects are already groups. I have used 3Ds Max before but it was quite a while back and now I'm stumped because of 1: New program, and 2: Because forgetful mind is forgetful. If there is anyone who thinks they could help me attach bones to the model it would be hugely appreciated! You'll get a gold star :) Oh.. and of course- credits and such! ^^ :p

Megabot.PNG
    My original, horrible, attempt at rigging it.

Megabot2.PNG
    The model compared to the Delta Commander.

(In case people are wondering, I have the original model :3 How you make ask? Well, I actually bought the game on steam but originally the steam launcher would not play the game for me and so I needed to use the Uber launcher, now when the Steam support eventually worked I started using Steam's, allowing my old Alpha game to collect dust.. I was curious and it turns out I was correct! It is within it's files still- Oh how relieved I am that I don't need to remake the model... :) )

Also, if you're up for the job please respond below! Help is appreciated, greatly! Also anyone else is welcome to chime in for the sake of chiming in. :p
    carlorizzante, hallis68 and tatsujb like this.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Would you mind sending me the files for the trailer commander? It should be in as "imperial_commander" or some such thing.
  3. squishypon3

Heh, already tried. The trailer Comm was the second thing I looked for, turns out, the file's there but sadly.. There is no .papa nor .json files inside (nor any other files for that matter) really sorry D:
  4. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Oh nice, happy that you decided to undertake the task of modding experimentals into PA.
    I would offer help, but unfortunately I don't really have any useful skills like modelling or coding :(
    So i'll just hang around and occasionally express my opinions about random stuff (Suggestions/Criticisms).
    If I do happen to develop any decent modelling skills in the near future I'll see if I can create something interesting for PA.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

6. Omniroth

Omniroth New Member

Howdey - just finished an Adv. Dip in Game Art, including rigging, and currently have some nice free time laying around. Was taught in Maya (not 3ds max) unfortunately, but if you're able to send me the file in a .obj or .fbx format (3ds max has an 'Export' option that will allow you to save the model and bones out in one of these formats) then I should hopefully be able to rig the whole thing for you and send it back in a day or less.

I just remember how this kind of thing can takes a week of solid pain when you're new to the program, and happy to help you skip that if you'd like. Let me know (best reached at lexdwills@gmail.com).
  7. squishypon3

It would be greatly appreciated! But at the moment I'm actually working on making the model more visually appealing, at the moment it's very lack luster since it was a first-pass model by Uber anyhow. Here's an example of some work, shoulders atm:

MegabotWork.PNG
  8. Omniroth

Omniroth New Member

Np, let me know when you're ready. Also looking awesome btw - very much like the mech-warrior style shoulders.
  9. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Looks pretty awesome can't wait for server code so we can use this guy.