[WIP] Gross Economy

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by wondible, February 16, 2014.

1. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Release Thread

Screen Shot 2014-02-15 at 21.03.00 .png

A status bar mod that emphasizes income and expense so that they can be visually compared. I've never found storage to be very important - It's basically binary (empty or full), but it gets most of the resource UI space. Income and expense - and the relation between them - are more important, and I'm a visual person.

I've also borrowed a piece from another mod idea I've got. The tick marks and net amount is expressed in "basic fabbers" (10/1000), so it tells you more directly what you can do to spend or spare your economy.

Things I want to think more about:
    - One reason for this was to make it easier to tell the difference between increased demand and lost production. But with automatic scaling, there is no real reference point.
    - I'm still toying with the right time window for the min-max indicator. (horizontal white line)

So far it appears partially compatible with Economic Efficiency - the additional center box will remain if both are enabled.

https://github.com/JustinLove/gross_economy

Since PAMM totally rewrites modinfo.json, I've checked in a formatted version. You'll need to copy or rename the file you're trying it out.
    Last edited: January 31, 2015
    dc443, kayonsmit101, lokiCML and 4 others like this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

That's pretty nifty.

I highly recommend that you make sure it's fully compatible with Economic Efficiency. These two mods would be amazing to run along side each other.
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Looks like this would conflict with the Economic Efficiency mod, right? Nice to see so many new mods being worked on right now!
  4. wondible

I use a pretty tight selection for the two resource areas. It replaces the main sections from EcoEff, but leaves the center box. I'd have to get really fancy to do more than that, probably requiring an explicit check for the other mod to try and operate around it's percent values.

Another thing I keep forgetting to add is highlighting of the limiting resource.
  5. cptconundrum

Cool. So does it keep or remove the big eco efficiency percent numbers? At this point I can't imagine playing without them. I would download and try it out, but I'm not at my PC.

It's still ok if there is a conflict. More mods available is always better!
  6. trialq

trialq Post Master General

From a glance it looks like just re-implementing the percentages eco efficiency does would be simpler? I'd be interested to see how you integrate if you want the percentages to stay.
  7. wondible

In it's present state, it only leaves the center one.

Screen Shot 2014-02-15 at 21.02.09 .png
  8. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

9. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I assume this isn't in PAMM yet?
  10. wondible

Few more things I want to look at; I suppose I could follow the game and put it out as beta. In any case, PAMM will closely correspond with a [REL] thread.
  11. wondible

I'm starting to look at highlighting the limiting resource. Are people more concerned with the the one that has the worse ratio, or the one that is actually limiting build rate?
  12. wondible

During the course of work I decided that I wanted the actual build limit. Below, notice that the energy ratio is far worse, but metal is highlighted.

Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 21.43.03 .png
    I'm highlighting the energy icon separately when it's negative, to point out that radar is down.

I also translated storage into the same "basic-fabber-seconds" used for the net display so I could squeeze the number under the storage bar.
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Since economic efficiency is now defunct, why don't you merge the features of it into this mod?
  14. wondible

I experimented with coloring the demand with some numbers based on Economic Efficiency. I didn't like the way it broke up the bar. I've got an experiment with the color in the background, but I'm feeling that it keeps the data bars from standing out.

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 21.09.28 .png
  15. cptconundrum

This is really just an information overload to me and looks pretty distracting. It's good that we have options, but I will probably take a shot at fixing eco efficiency when I get a chance unless someone else gets around to it first.

*Edit*
    Looks like proeleert might already have fixed that mod.
    Last edited: February 23, 2014
  16. wondible

I tried making the demand bar a solid variable color, but I felt I was looking color more than data. I'm trying out coloring the net amount, but it still suffers from the problem of breaking up the bar.

Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 09.58.19 .png
  17. wondible

Trying to make the bars the most prominent element. Moving the icon to net has actually made it stand out too much.

Screen Shot 2015-01-31 at 12.41.14 .png
  18. wondible

More bar, less icon

Screen Shot 2015-01-31 at 20.02.51 .png
  19. wondible

Vertical flip. Trying out a log scale (optional)

Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 08.26.07 .png
  20. wondible

Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 21.40.34 .png

New presentation that will hopefully make income visible. Still need to try it out in some actual games and see how it feels; might be too big.