Winners don't "gg" - mind your manners ...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Shwyx, August 3, 2014.

1. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

... and get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers.

Hi there. I realize I'm mostly preaching to the choir by writing this - most of you guys are veteran RTS players, with a history not only in TA and SupCom, but also in WarCraft, AoE, StarCraft and all the other great games of the genre. Still, there's something that's been bothering me, and the forum is the only channel there is to spread the word - so here it goes:

I rarely see "gg" used properly in Planetary Annihilation.

GG - short for "good game" - has traditionally been used as an acknowledgement of defeat in RTS titles, most prominently in StarCraft, SC:BW and SC2. It's basically only typed by the loser of a game at a point where defeat is inevitable, and the winner usually responds in kind - with a "gg" of his/her own. This tradition was/is so ingrained in the (professional) StarCraft scene that it's considered rude of the winner to preemptively "gg", and korean SC progamers even faced disqualifications / losses / fines upon improper use of "gg".

Now obviously PA isn't StarCraft, and traditions always evolve and change. But so far in PA, I have almost never seen "gg" used the "right" way. It's become more of a mechanical motion upon victory, most often used by the winners of a match / fight (the chat system doesn't help, btw, immediately placing the loser in the separate spectator chat). Worse, though, is that it's often used as a taunt, where the superior player will "gg" the moment before a planet collides or an SSX salvo finishes the game.

So ... I'm hoping to see "gg" used properly more often, as a show of sportsmanship, and a way for the losers of matches to properly and gracefully end a match.

Thanks for reading.
    ozonexo3, wilhelmvx, stuart98 and 2 others like this.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

GG in StarCraft means admitting defeat.

No where else have I seen it used that way.

Basically, I think you're using it the wrong way.
  3. kazzymodus

kazzymodus Active Member

It also means admitting defeat in DotA, however, winners saying it prematurely is not considered rude. In pro plays, there is a script though that will end the game after gg is called by the losing team, basically a forfeit option. So saying it as the winners first would lose you the match regadless.

Also in SMNC, gg called when the game is already over, and sometimes when defeat is completely and utterly inevitable, so it's not really taunting as it is... being fast.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well I don't think it's a terrible habit.

sure it doesn't hurt if everyone says it, but if it's only ever the winner saying it, then we're pushing the wrong tradition that will perhaps poison our community.

I think the OP is right.

If not at least waiting for the looser to say it first, you should wait until the very end to say it so that you're not cutting off the guy who intended to say it but wasn't fast enough.
    wilhelmvx and Shwyx like this.
  5. nguk9

nguk9 New Member

Quite agree with him sometimes there are absolute no match and the winner say gg without any reasons. In a no match nobody have fun so don't understand gg. But most of the time players said gg because the game was close and intense. So your post is not really worth for me because you are speaking of a minority.
    apocatequil and cdrkf like this.
  6. kazzymodus

kazzymodus Active Member

If you start saying it for the sake of saying it, it loses all meaning. If you like saying it because you mean it, go ahead, but enforcing it doesn't really make people respect each other with two letters.
    improvised1, cdrkf and BulletMagnet like this.
  7. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I say it whenever I've had fun. Victory conditions aren't a factor.
  8. duncane

duncane Active Member

I've only been on the net since 96, but as far as I recall GG means Good Game and can be used by either the winning or losing side. It basically it means "Good game" or "I enjoyed this game regardless of who won".

So basically.. NO GG for you.. ONE YEAR
    squishypon3, cdrkf and BulletMagnet like this.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

This is a whole new level of grammar nazi-ing.
  10. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

If the game is as good as over then does it really matter?

I'll call gg if someone just pulls off something skillful.
    I'll call gg to be sarcastic at someones fail
    I'll call gg if I'm about to win
    I'll call gg if I'm about to lose
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

A victor saying gg in my mind says 'it was a good fight' I tend to say wp in the event I beat a player who made it very difficult. I don't really see it as an insult if someone who beats me calls gg at the end before me. I've also heard good players use it when something has gone very wrong early game.

The point is the rules mentioned in the op are related to statecraft. I'm a veteran rts player with my online experience from ta (played warcraft offline before that). The way the community uses gg is in line with my experience from ta, sup com and spring and imo is rarely if ever used as a taunt or insult.

Tl:dr don't impose a different community rule set on pa.
  12. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

Unnecessary rules are unnecessary. :rolleyes:
  13. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

I was a Starcrap 2 player and I like Destiny don't say GG when I lose. I just leave. See in that game when you leave without sayin GG your a "rage quitter"! Doesn't matter that the other guy does a 8 gate immortal/sentry all in, your suppost to say "gee that was a really close I almost had you lol gg" every time that happens! Well **** all those guys I'll say gg when I actually think its a gg! and **** the guys that whisper you after game just to say "gg"!
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I've never really said GG before the game ended as a winner first, however after the game I'll say it first. To me it means- well... good game, it means it was hard, you fought for it, and at times it looked like you were about to lose! But you brought it back.

I hate premature GG, I'm talking WAY early, it feels like they're just cocky (it's even worse if they win having said that)
  15. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

It's a matter of etiquette.

For me, a winner pre-emptively calling GG seems a bit arrogant which is why I personally don't like saying GG until after the game is over. Winners calling gg after the end of the game has been determined is fine IMO.

Losers call gg when they are about to lose, yes and then the winner may reply, but I guess it's just my dislike of arrogance and cockiness which seems to be rife in competitive games -

- This is why I do not use PA stats unless I am forced to in a Tourney - I play for fun, not for points or bragging rights; it's the way I was brought up.
    ozonexo3, Shwyx, elodea and 2 others like this.
  16. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I don't concede a "gg" unless the game played was actually, y'know, Good.
    igncom1, stuart98 and squishypon3 like this.
  17. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

The thing is, the "gg" by the winner is considered rude like a "i know you have no more chance, and obviously I am able to see it, but you not" - its a matter of interpretation, because after all, the ONLY think he says is "good game" - if you read more into it than he says it is 100% your very own problem.
    And i say even in SC2 gg partly when im winning, because there are a lot of people who just think "well i lost so obviously it wasnt a GG" - i had such a mindset of my own for long time. (even though i hid the "it was bg coz i lost" behind "it was bg because my enemy cheesed/was a lamer / kiddo etc.")

Just read what it says. Good game. Nothing more, nothing less.
    elodea and cdrkf like this.
  18. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I don't mind pa stats really, I tend to leave it on and I usually try and play people better than myself. What I find frustrating is many 'top' players turn it off a lot of the time to avoid losing points. End result is my ladder rank is way below where I should be based on ability. I think it's silly of people to try and manipulate it like that really. As for a winner calling gg before end, that depends on the circumstances... If your opponent walks his com towards a large group of infernos without support then I'd probably say it not out of being cocky, just because it's inevitable. I certainly don't mind in the reverse situation if I make a desperate final play. I agree with squishy saying 'noob gg Haha' type of thing early game is just rude.

I also don't mind good players talking it up a bit, as long as they're respectful of other payers.
  19. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I usually say GG whenever i feel like it, it doesn't even have to mean anything. Like Zykey said for example. I think these rules are bullshit 2 da max. like solitary cheese said Unnecessary rules are unnecessary. If your making them into etiquette people will do them autopilot instead of actually thinking of it. I think its also rude if you take bullshitrules from other games to this game just so you can continue your autopolit etiquette. GG doesn't mean anything in the game, the commander explosion is the only thing that means something here.
    igncom1 likes this.
  20. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

I'm and old gamer. ive played games since the Atari 2600.

Ive never understood the concept of GG. its not a good game if i lose, its that simple, It has nothing to do with being bad mannered at all.

I usually just type. Im out!.