What did you learn from the Commander of the March Tourney?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, March 15, 2014.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Last edited: March 15, 2014
  2. midspark

midspark Member

No more naval planets until it's fixed.

T2 air rush is still viable, even against T1 AA bots
  3. zombiefan564

zombiefan564 Member

That I need to get t2 navy up first or face the wrath of the Leviathans.
    Also note: Spawns need to be more fair :)
    godde likes this.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Last edited: March 16, 2014
  5. nanneraircraft

nanneraircraft New Member

Well its seems the maps need to be more thoroughly looked at to make sure they're fair. And too me I feel its whoever gets t2 first wins :/. But it was still a lot of fun and I got two wins! Can't wait for the next one
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

*T2 Air

Although it's more along the lines of whoever takes out the other guy's T2 air factory first wins.

T2 air is still OP. Completely ignore ground based T2. Just rush T2 air and kill the other guy's T2. After that, you've essentially won.

Discuss this problem here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/lets-talk-about-peregrines.57929/
  7. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Navy is too slow, need more HP and build slower. There is no feel that this is massive ship with few guns. My game on navy map looks like spam of navy, tousends of ships, in infinite war fighting in same pleace. Its faster to tech up, build nuke than fighting with navy.

Also land units are too slow. Just moving land units is boring, because we need to wait a lot of time until they get anywhere. Game is usualy dynamic and fast when distance between players is small. When this distance is bigger then everybody is building PD, walls, t2 and nukes.

I think even Point Defences will not be so OP if units just move faster. Right now they are soo slow that they usualy die before they get in fire range.
    In supcom there are 2 types of land units. Assault and artylery (ignore AA). When enemy build PD, then you can take it out with artylery. When enemy has artylery, you can conter them by assault units. And assault by PD.
    In PA right now, there are only assault units on T1, so T1 can't do too much with PD. Artylery is on T2, but this takes time, a lot of time to tech, and then to move these units to enemy base.
  8. godde

godde Well-Known Member

9. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Ranking's on unofficial Ladders for Tournament Players after the tourney.

2014-03-16 01_20_29-Tournament _ Your Website.png
    Quitch likes this.
  10. Quitch

Overall I was relatively happy, played a lot better than in the last two tournaments.

I learned I need to be more careful about what I'm clicking, in game two I built an army of combat fabbers instead of sniper bots, so the game was over the second my opponent showed up.

I did much better at harrassing my opponents and scouting, but I need to do more. My harassment units die and I never see it, though without a better PC I can't really track them in PIP. Meanwhile I scout, but I need to scout more. Even more than that, I need to react better to scouting, pressuring them if they've gone all eco, and in game five I scouted my opponent's T2 air, but totally failed to react properly to it and lost the game because of it.

Most importantly, I need to sort out my opening. I think I opened differently in every game and I really need to decide which one works best.

I need to work on my boom. I just T2 on too small a scale most of the time. I've fixed this in naval, but my ground game definitely needs work.

Also, I should look at T2 air again. Ever since the death of the gunship rush I've been shunning it, but that Peregrine presence is just so useful. I don't agree with Stuart that it's essential, but it's really handy to have and I should push it harder and faster.
  11. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

12. Quitch

That'd be handier with ELO ladder ranking in place of the ELO score ;). Some interesting disagreements between the two though. I admit, I have more faith in the IRC (TrueSkill) ladder.
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I learned that there will never be a tournament not on a Saturday. Lol.

Seriously though, it is nice that this game has this kind of backing for tournaments, even in beta.
  14. unimatrx

unimatrx New Member

I learned that just because i hear a big boom, it doesn't mean my commander is destroyed
  15. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Yeah it's basically a flip of the switch now to choose the seedings for the tourney based on one of the two ladders.
    So it all comes to a decision on what ladder to use. Both have their merits and their flaws but that's for an other discussion.
  16. Quitch

I can't say I learned this, but the tournament really drove home what a vast power difference there is between T1 and T2. There really isn't much use for most of T1 at the moment, and turrets aren't entirely to blame, T2 is just too useful not to rush I think.
    cptconundrum and Murcanic like this.
  17. Quitch

Well ELO is known to be flawed because it assumes a normal distribution, which isn't true. There's no reason to use ELO in a world of Glicko-2 and TrueSkill unless you want something simple to implement.
  18. Quitch

I learned that, actually, yes I do need the Auto Factory mod, and uninstalling it before the tournament was a mistake. It was reinstalled for round six.

I also learned that clopse likes rugby more than PA.
  19. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

Yea it means half of your base is gone too :D
    stuart98 likes this.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I suck at navy maps.
    I just need to play better in general.