What defines thread hostility? (Able commander controversy aside)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drewsuser, July 12, 2014.

1. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

Two threads recently locked (you about what), and a stinger thread removed entirely... Where does a thread cross the line? Most of them were just questions about design decisions by Uber. They were not that hard to answer at all either! Does any criticism that puts Uber in an awkward enough situation given the ban hammer?

TL; DR : Explanation behind locked threads other than ambiguous "It was too hostile" replies?
    akwasop, aevs and stuart98 like this.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm all for rule that no threads can be removed except spam one or one that contain clearly inappropriate material. If some topics related to game got deleted it's make forums looks really bad because people who didn't notice deletion and unable to see reasoning of it going to create same topics again and again.

If devs don't want to have certain topics discussed they obviously can lock everything and it's their right, but this have to be made publicly because all "invisible" intrigues always cause a lot more problems than solve.
    Last edited: July 12, 2014
    lokiCML, Jaedrik, cdrkf and 4 others like this.
  3. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

4. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

Yes, I realize this and have read the rules multiple times, but when people get mad, their reactions are imbued with that emotion.
  5. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Being mad isn't an excuse for being a jerk.
    gtf50, Jaedrik, websterx01 and 5 others like this.
  6. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

I don't know if just deleting threads is such a great idea when they are those of active community members voicing heated concerns about a game they obviously care alot about. I think the community should see these threads and try to make a meaningful conversation about such things if possible. There are community moderators who should be the first responders and help steer conversations before Uber intervenes, IMHO.

Some of my first posts about the game were about my being totally pissed off about something I noticed in the game that I misunderstood. SXX was cool enough to engage me in conversation and helped me understand what was going on. I think it would be wise to give your community moderators a chance to do their thing and keep the community together before smashing planets and sanctioning active community members.

the point is that your community moderators care about the game and about the community and recognize the difference between a troll and a really impassioned player who is just angry about something he or she cares about.
    nhac and akwasop like this.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Can you provide an example of what would have been deemed an acceptable approach to the most recent topic?

Mike
  8. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I just get really annoyed typing out a detailed response only for the thread to be deleted before I click "Post Reply".
    drewsuser, squishypon3 and tehtrekd like this.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

"Hey Brad, I know you don't want any more threads or hatemail about the new commander, but I just wanted to have a little question.

I really have loved you guys with this game, and I'd support you to the end, but is there any chance that you guys at Uber are making a completely seperate commander for the charity? I won't be mad if you guys stick with what you have now (Though a lot of others probably will) I'll just be pretty disappointed, y'know?

I really like that you guys want to help a charity, but I just feel the commander you let out was a bit unfair to me and to many others, I really do hope you guys make another commander, heck if it's just something that'd take too much time I'm sure one of the members of the community would be happy to make one for that specific reason!

I bought the 200$ Cosmic edition for those commanders, Progenitor being one of them, and honestly it'd feel pretty bad to have the exclusivity taken out (Even if not technically). I'm not one for knee-jerk reactions, so I wanted to see what you had to say about it.

Thanks, hoping for a response!

SquishyPon3 :D"

Something like this maybe? At least I'm hoping so.

(This is a PM btw. :p )
    cdrkf, DeadStretch and cptconundrum like this.
  10. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Brad, stop avoiding the question. Being a jerk is being personal in an argument. What we are doing is being passionate. Why the hell are threads with questions Uber doesn't feel like answering due to possible flak being removed and/or locked?

If someone is being a jerk to you, you have the God-given right to punch them in the face. What happened to suck it up and move on?
    siefer101, cdrkf and akwasop like this.
  11. Geers

Geers Post Master General

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault
    websterx01 and squishypon3 like this.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Be honest, we all know the answer, it'd devolve into straight up hate.

Something like that really wasn't the best thing to bring up in the forums about, the sole purpose could be seen as just trying to stur up trouble, we all know that if it wasn't locked, a lot of hateful words would appear soon afterwards.

I'm attempting a nice little PM personally. :p
    cptconundrum likes this.
  13. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

These aren't troll's threads that get locked these are community veterans posts that get locked/deleted. People with thousands of posts and actively engage in community events. These people know what they speak (for the most part) and locking/deleting posts will ONLY fuel their anger, and "hostility." Now by creating this reply I basically give up my soul on this community so I'll leave it up to you to decide if this is hostile. I have not demanded anything nor told you how to do your job. I never said "wow these devs sure are jerks, I'll just stop playing all-together!"
    lokiCML, cdrkf, DeadStretch and 3 others like this.
  14. aevs

aevs Post Master General

With all due respect, I don't believe stuart's second thread (or at least the OP of the thread) was purely nonconstructive. Much of how virtual goods hold value is the result of artificial scarcity, and when a previously limited virtual item (or a very similar one) is made more freely available like this, it will devalue the originals. Exclusivity is a status symbol people are willing to pay a lot for, and taking that away from them after the fact will likely rub people the wrong way. Stuart clearly has a problem with this.
    Do I think the reaction is totally justified? Certainly not the way the first thread was written.
    Do I think a reaction like that should have been expected? Probably. I wouldn't blame anyone for being a little upset about it, and I'm not surprised that someone got more than a little upset either.
    The second thread OP I didn't see a problem with.
    I also don't think your comment about this being in the PTE is entirely relevant, since the skin is already for sale in its current state regardless.

(I'm not a kickstarter backer and I don't plan on buying any commanders from the in-game store, I'm just throwing my seven-or-so cents in as a third party.)
    lokiCML, cdrkf, DeadStretch and 3 others like this.
  15. mered4

If someone is being a jerk to you, you have my permission to punch them in the face.

Fixed it for ya. :p
    akwasop likes this.
  16. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I messaged brad. His response was that the Able commander is not a re-skinned Commander and it's just a "cool commander created for a great cause."

Stuart and I dug into the game files and the Able Commander is just a reskinned Progenitor.
    kothanlem, cdrkf, cmdandy and 2 others like this.
  17. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Actually somewhat related to this, but the PTE stands for "Public test Environment" one could wonder why things that aren't ready to be publicized are allowed in? Especially given that it is already for sale, if it was just in the files that might be more of a grey area but if it is available to purchase,.

Sounds like exactly what was said during the Delta/Invictus Debacle, at this point I think we might be using different definitions for the same words here...

Mike
  18. mered4

Vague answers and half-truths are what has driven our wonderful country into the ground.

Will someone please stand up and say 'I take responsibility! Ask me why!'?

It's a value often neglected these days in parenting. Man up and own up to a mistake, and fix it.
    Until someone with authority here says otherwise, this decision to skimp on the work for some charity money is a serious mistake.
    cdrkf, DeadStretch, Nicb1 and 2 others like this.
  19. freelikegnu

freelikegnu Member

It might have been a good idea to have involved the community in designing a Commander for the charity. Perhaps allowing that as a bonus perk to early or extremely supportive backers or even have a contest open to every one?
    mered4 and brianpurkiss like this.
  20. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Risking getting off topic, here's images of the Progenitor and Able commander side by side.

The only difference is the skin.
    stuart98, lokiCML, gtf50 and 2 others like this.