Vanilla Planetary Annihilation Hangs and Terminates on Splash

Discussion in 'Support!' started by riddle78, June 24, 2016.

1. riddle78

riddle78 New Member

To be as clear as possible; I am running the original,vanilla version of Planetary Annihilation,not Titans. No mods. Got it? Get it? GOOD.

I have bought Planetary Annihilation a good long while ago,but stopped playing for an extended period of time. I think it was because I found it utterly impossible to invade an entrenched planet. This was before the Unit Cannon. Anyways. My problem is thus; When I try to launch Planetary Annihilation,the program simply halts,forcing me to take the automated prompt's suggestion to terminate the process. It does so on the initial splash that you're greeted with when telling Steam to launch the game.

I really want to play Planetary Annihilation right now,largely because of a few fanfics I'm reading. How can I fix this problem? What further information do I have to provide,if any,to facilitate this?

Attached Files:

2. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

3. riddle78

riddle78 New Member

Alright,log and DXDiag report attached to the initial post. What else do you need?
  4. mikeyh

Very outdated driver and not a lot of RAM:
    • Driver Date/Size: 4/16/2010
  5. riddle78

riddle78 New Member

Any indication of what this driver is for?
  6. mikeyh

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
  7. riddle78

riddle78 New Member

I've updated my drivers,and the problem persists. Any further ideas?
  8. mikeyh

9. riddle78

riddle78 New Member

The relevant files have been purged from my laptop,and the problem still persists. My computer meets the halfway point between minimum and recommended amount of RAM. To reiterate; The game hangs and tanks at the initial splash,while the game is attempting the initial loading. I will admit; The laptop I'm using is fairly bad,but it's all I have,and I lack alternatives. It's an HP Pavilion dv6,in case you're wondering,and in case it helps.
  10. mikeyh

11. riddle78

riddle78 New Member

Unfortunately,the first step of the linked instructions has me absolutely lost,because it is assuming that the user knows something that isn't the absolute basics. The downloaded package has nothing even remotely along the lines of a "Normal AMD Cleanup",which is apparently the first step I need to do.