[Updated] Afterburner makes PA freeze 1 second every 2-3 seconds

Discussion in 'Support!' started by exostenza, February 26, 2014.

1. exostenza

exostenza New Member

Edit: Well I just tried a bunch of random things and figured out that PA does not like MSI Afterburner running as when I quit it the game runs smooth as butter and when it is running PA is a freeze/hang fest.

Anyone running the latest 14.2 beta? The game is completely broken for me as my frames say 60fps but the game stutters hard to the point that it is a slide show and even just the ui before starting a game is extremely unresponsive.

Win 8.1 Pro X64 - 7950 1200/1600 - 8GB 2133mhz - 3770k@4.6ghz
    Last edited: February 27, 2014
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Lesson: don't run beta drivers.
  3. atlas974

atlas974 New Member

Same problem on win 7 64 with AMD 14.2 driver , used to get solid 60+FPs now i get 6-7 FPS......
  4. Daddie

Daddie Member

Somebody needs to run beta drivers in order to find problems, that is why they are public...
  5. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

AMD's "beta" drivers are basically finished, but a month early because that's how long it takes Microsoft to run them through WHQL.
    bradaz85 and SXX like this.
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

No it's not, they're public to allow people who need early access to the hotfixes or who want the latest performance enhancements.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Unfortunately it's true and Microsoft don't care about OpenGL so there is high chances same drivers will be released as stable.
  8. exostenza

exostenza New Member

Over the past 2 years I have definitely noticed that the beta drivers are not only as stable as the WHQL drivers, but most of the time the WHQLs are the late certification of the previous beta I was running. I definitely run more beta drivers than WHQL and have had little to no problems where Planetary Annihilation is an exception not the rule. All my other games on this driver run flawlessly.

Thanks for the confirmation.
  9. v4skunk84

v4skunk84 Active Member

Running 14.2 with no problems.
    Did you guys uninstall the old drivers first?
  10. exostenza

exostenza New Member

Yes I did... I wonder what the difference between us is.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Let's say AMD drivers installer sometimes don't cleanup properly, e.g leave settings remain of old drivers in registry.
  12. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I've also got the AMD beta drivers and seem to be having no problems.
  13. exostenza

exostenza New Member

Ok well I just did a clean install of 13.12 with DDU and the game is still broken. This is very odd as my OSD says the game is running at 60FPS but it freezes for a second every 3 seconds or so. I don't really know what to make of it. Clearly something is messed on my end, but I don't know where to start.

Edit: Well I just tried a bunch of random things and figured out that PA does not like MSI Afterburner running as when I quit it the game runs smooth as butter and when it is running PA is a freeze/hang fest.
    Last edited: February 27, 2014