Upcoming Update: New player experience and a bit more...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, December 2, 2014.

1. jables

jables Uber Employee

Hey all,

We’ve wrapped up the Fall sale over on Steam, and heading toward one of the biggest sales of the year on the Winter Steam Sale. During these two sales, we are getting quite a few new players in the game. With this in mind, we will be spending December concentrating on the new player experience!

This will be a first pass at updating tutorials and general menu flow to make it more intuitive for new players to get into the game as well as make it easier to get info from Uber to players.

What does this mean for you as a current player you ask? Well we’ll do a pass on overall bug fixes and polish throughout, as well as more balance tweaks! We have been listening and taken a look at overall map size for ranked maps. We like the response the current 3 have received, but are looking at some larger maps for the next round and will be adding 2 more Ranked 1v1 maps to the pool. We’ll look at adjustments based on feedback on the 3 current maps, as well as other smaller changes to help help push the metagame to a better level. Based on player requests, we’ll be re-adding the ability to select secondary color and custom landing spots. Oh and then there’s this little thing we’ve been working on…

[​IMG]

:O

We will get more information when we have a better idea on release date for the Unit Cannon, but it should be hitting PTE soon for balance testing.

We’re planning on getting the main update out by December 18th, though Unit Cannon may take a bit longer depending on balance tweaks needed (please keep in mind that we are Pacific Time Zone, so those in the rest of the world, may be getting this late in the night or on the 19th your time).

As usual, I will post more details to keep you updated as we move toward the 18th!
  2. xankar

xankar Post Master General

*Xankar screams with 'Uber' joy at the sight of this post!

Now about those asteroids... ;)

P.S. I think my cannon is better.

[​IMG] :p
    Last edited: December 2, 2014
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Unit cannooooooon! :D
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

[​IMG]

┬━┬ノ(▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ノ) not this time Table
    xankar, Alpha2546, jonasmod and 9 others like this.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Can you talk about the actually mechanics you guys are thinking about for the Unit Cannon? As I'm sure you can imagine it's something the community has spent a lot of time thinking about and discussing and instead of going through all those motions yet again it'd be nice to have a bit more of a "relevant starting point" for the upcoming discussion storm.

Mike
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Color me amazed, it's alive.

But please tell me we will see some more substantial balance changes that are not just tiny tweaks. There are a bunch of areas that need attention.

like the energy/metal balance and the fact that we have no wrecks right now.
    emraldis, yrrep, stuart98 and 6 others like this.
  7. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

It would be very interesting how the unit cannon works, like how far is its range? how will units drop onto the enemy planet? does it require energy to use? how do you use it? just load and it starts firing...or click the planet you want to bombard?
    Planktum likes this.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well he did say we'd at least get to see it in PTE before the 18th, so it'll be a nice testing period. Though I'd also enjoy information on what is planned.

Will it only shoot out dox/some other custom new bot, what are its range limits? Moon to planet only, or both? What's it's expected fire rate, how many units per pod, cost, etc?
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

[​IMG]

Aw, Kiwi beat me.
    Last edited: December 2, 2014
    Alpha2546, stuart98, Maldor96 and 4 others like this.
  10. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Amaze. Balls.
  11. Yaegz

Yaegz Active Member

Yay multi planet games will not turn into stalemates. Also, please add a little polish to the leader boards and ranked before it gets put on the backburners. Namely, make Uber league exclusive and give us more info on our progress! Thanks I love you, buh bye.
    cola_colin and cptconundrum like this.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

13. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

Badass cannon inc!
  14. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

@jables - I would love to see another pass done on visual effects, weapons, explosions, lights, etc. Can we expect some improvements in this area any time soon?
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

WAT!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
  16. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

My lord that's pretty!
  17. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

[​IMG]
    UNIT CANNON BOYS!
    stuart98, corteks, Bsport and 3 others like this.
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Unit cannon coming at all? They are not going to believe this! Hell, I don't even believe you. I can't even believe you. I couldn't care less, but that is...

Wow. This is literally, the least expected thing ever. So, let me get this straight. Offline and servers. Then Ranked 1v1. Then Mapmaking. Then Ladders. Then Unit Cannon.

Do I hear savegames a la replay loading!? DO I HEAR savegame-replay-loading?? Where is it, where is it... Calling it update after next, calling it now, will rub yo nutz in it if it happens...
    Gorbles and emraldis like this.
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

@jables official bringer of all the best news!!!!
  20. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

The new player experience has been my biggest gripe with the game for the longest time. Thank you based Jables.
    stuart98, pieman2906, Zainny and 5 others like this.