Unit Cannon ingame

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killzone5017002, July 3, 2014.

1. killzone5017002

killzone5017002 Active Member

Well the unit cannon is finally here! its just...a little bit.....broken

I guess its a start...

Attached Files:

damnhippie and ozonexo3 like this.
  2. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I love the out of order sign on it.

What I would love to know of this is Uber's way of either hinting at some upcoming breakthrough, or them screwing with us again. *cough*ant*cough*
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. killzone5017002

Makes me wonder why they would even work on the wreckage if they are not working on it at all, that is of course if they already did not have it haha.
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Can confirm, built my base on it haha.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Yeah. It was added two builds ago. Or was it three?

They show up on moons on very rare occasions.

However, there needs to be some balance, otherwise if someone spawns close to it, they'll have a big advantage due to reclaim. Assuming it is reclaimable.

That being said, it would be fun to have reclaimable bases show up near spawns.
  6. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it shouldn't be, otherwise they would have to make it so you don't spawn to close to it.

But I hope they add a bunch of reclaimable stuff to metal planets, they are metal after all - and metal extractors everywhere is a big no no, so why not.
  7. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

The files have been in PA for ever. However it's only recently that they were added to the moon generation.
    aevs likes this.
  8. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

As far as I remember it behaves more like a piece of terrain more than anything. Discolouration when nuked is the same as if it was just ground or a mountain, it's targetable but doesn't get damaged or reclaimed IIRC. The criteria to make them spawn are in one of the PTE threads, I can dig it out tomorrow if you want, just let me know.

I think it just has to be a specific biome and a specific planet size, I could get it to spawn consistently a build or two ago.
  9. killzone5017002

Wow, ive never seen it until today!

I wonder if it is more common now, this was on an earth biome so maybe they spawn on other biomes than the moon?
  10. killzone5017002

I would most definitely like to see that thread. Thanks for the info.
  11. aevs

aevs Post Master General

You can check the biome files to see the criteria for its placement.
    It is a brush, not a feature, and is therefore part of the terrain (not reclaimable, etc).
    The brush has been in the files for quite some time. Apparently a few changes were made to it when it was added to those biomes, one of the changes being the out of order sign (I'm assuming it's new, hadn't checked before).

Possibly a coincidence:
    When it was added, there were also changes made to the brush bending code. For a short while in the PTE, brush bending did not take into consideration the terrain's height. By the time it was pushed to live, this had been fixed, and brush bending seems to have been improved significantly. Not completely certain of that, but from the looks of it, the terrain may be getting some work done on it...

Also, Stonehenge should have a chance of showing up in the mountain biome now on planets larger than 699.
    But you didn't hear it from me.
  12. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Neato. I wonder if the wreckage is a sign of unit cannons as map features for players will use, or if it's just a sneak preview of what's in the works.
    killzone5017002 likes this.
  13. killzone5017002

Now that I think of it, it would be pretty awesome to have all kinds of terrain features that have different possibilities of spawning, from rare to common. I;m sure they will add a load of terrain features though once they get around to it. I am gonna go and try to look around for those files.
  14. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Here's what stonehenge (called mountain henge in the files) looks like in game, by the way:
    [​IMG]

It appears to be considerably more rare than the unit cannon wreckage.
    warrenkc, eroticburrito, SXX and 5 others like this.
  15. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm really liking the increased terrain variety.

There's also a temple on the lava biome in the game files – although I've never seen the temple in game.
    igncom1 likes this.
  16. killzone5017002

That's amazing!!! How did you manage to get it? I'm surpised no one took a screenshot and posted about either structures.
  17. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Stonehenge has been in the game files for quite some time; the build it was added I did post a screenshot of what it looked like (though I hadn't seen it in-game)
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

ancient ruins? nice!
  19. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Actually, there have already been several posts about the unit cannon wreckage o_O

Yup; stonehenge, moon ruins, desert ruins and jungle temple have been in the files for a while, all unused except the moon ruins, which appears on every moon.
    Stonehenge and the moon ruins are the only ones that appear in-game right now.

I think you're mixing up the lava biome and the jungle biome there; there is no lava temple in the files, just the jungle one (that I decided to use in my mod because of how awesome it is).
  20. cmdrfirezone38

cmdrfirezone38 Member

I'm confused. I thought the unit cannon was something we would be able to build on our own, not find. Can you clear things up for me?