Uh... Performance Drop?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, February 21, 2014.

1. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I think that the huge performance drop is caused by AIR. The game does feel a lot smoother, until we hit a lot of air usage, then it goes down to slideshow.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

ou're basically running two times the PA screen so performance drop is understandable, hope that optimisations will bring this to a more playable level.
  3. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I doubt he's using PIP if he's comparing performance to last patch.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I know my performance will never be the greatest until I get my new computer. I've always struggled with performance.

The issue is, 61250 had AWESOME performance.

When 61450 came out, performance went back down to what it was a patch or two ago. Worse than it was in 61250 or whatever was before 61250.

Really annoying.
  5. dinokeymaker

dinokeymaker New Member

I'm having the same issue as brian. I think I'm getting the worst performance since November last year. At the beginning of the game the fps are 120 (Monitor hz cap) or 60 with PiP enabled, but the performance start decreasing soon to a barely playable level.
    Maybe the clue for a good performance with this release is having a graphic card with a good amount of dedicated memory, not the power of it's GPU
    My PC is equipped with a i7 920 with 6GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 570 with 1280 MB dedicated memory, and although the GPU was walking workload, memory was almost 100%

Add a pair of screens maybe they can help

PA1.jpg Pa2.jpg
    P.S. Forgot taking a shoot showing the GPU load on the game, but the total GPU memory taken at that moment was around 1500 MB
  6. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

5 fps, jesus. How big is that system? With that kind of horsepower you really should be getting better perf than me but it doesn't seem to drop below 15. That is estimated just by eyeballing so probably not that accurate. But certainly not 5.
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I've noticed a performance improvement, actually. At least, that was before I started using dual-screen PA.
    Corang likes this.
  8. dinokeymaker

dinokeymaker New Member

It's a 3 planet system. Starting lava planet radius about 600, and two moons radius 200 (moon and earth biome). Also I must say the IA was spamming units (fabricating and patrolling) as there's no tomorrow
  9. kohlerfc

kohlerfc New Member

I have definitely found that end game seems to be more a performance drop. This my be simply do to my lack for ram 4GB :(. Early game I was getting 40 - 50 fps on medium settings.

Computer specs are
    Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz, 4GB Ram with R9 270x 2GB. Just upgraded my graphics card(for this game) will be upgrading my cpu, mobo and ram soon.

I think the reason for it crawling along end game might PA just be smashing my cpu and ram due to the amount of units.
  10. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I have 12GB of ram and a 3GB GTX 560M. I think performance has dropped slightly from wednesday's patch for me, and it is now sitting somewhere similar to what it was before then. Not a whole lot of difference between these past 2 updates, honestly, and I didn't do any rigid testing, so it's hard to say how performance now compares to what it was before.
  11. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

This might be asking for a little much. But I too experience a consistent FPS drop overtime as the game progresses and my units do their area patrol and units are created and destroyed

I am seriously wondering if those patrol loops units are creating are getting stuck in the memory and causing the FPS drop.

I guess I would ask if you can figure out when your FPS starts to drop considerably and i'll try to match it and see if it is related to the number of units that are on the field at one time or overtime.
  12. dinokeymaker

dinokeymaker New Member

I also think there should be a problem of residual orders in memory, because I have tried to destroy my 150 hummings on patrol, without an improvement in performance, far more than 1 or 2 fps. So it seems that the performance drops overtime...
    Or maybe the problem is in play against three AI? But I assume that the AI should lags the server more than me... don't know
  13. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I have had 2 separate games slowly grind to a halt. And I destroyed a lot of units to improve performance, however it didn't happen. I'm almost positive that unit's are not getting "destroyed" but saved in memory to be recalled later. The fact that those humming birds you destroyed are not causing a performance increase is just a by product of them not actually getting destroyed but place somewhere out of sight.

I heard from one of the dev's saying that a destroyed planet that lands on a planet isn't "destroyed" but placed inside of the sun to be recalled later. I'm not sure if units do the same thing or not but It might explain the grinding.
  14. BooberSmack

BooberSmack Member

Not to be flying a kite here, i have a almost 4 year old laptop, thats kicking this game on high settings.
  15. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Well I see "okay" performance also but on a good system, maybe it's the operation system that is the problem here or? Windows 8 here.
  16. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

In build 61250 my frame rate dropped back to early alpha levels. (6 - 10 fps) in the current build 61450 I'm getting 40 fps when it's full screen and 60 fps when it's in windowed mode. It will be a good day once you get your new computer.:)
  17. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Are your drivers up-to-date? I would take a look at UberProbe Performance Upload Thread would help uber a lot if you were to do that and the player base.;)
  18. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

There is a marked drop in performance. I am using an nvidia 8500dx video card and I have been running PA for the past 2 or 3 months at 10fps. After the patch and making no changes what so ever to my configuration the new patch is hovering at between 3 to 5 fps.

Something got messed up in the recent "optimization".

And yes my drivers are current and all other possible causes have been addressed.
  19. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Good day?

You have no idea...
  20. varrak

varrak Official PA

Those of you seeing a performance drop, would you mind uploading profile captures on this thread? Also screenshots of all the performance huds from pressing ctrl+p).

Profile captures are generated with ctrl+f11, and are saved in the appdata folder under your username (on Windows).

The more data we get the more we can do to fix this...
    aevs, lokiCML and Martenus like this.