Uber's Labs what a Paid for Mod Marketplace? or Whatever it's Called

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by lokiCML, June 16, 2014.

1. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Edit: fyi, this thread was intended for a more general audience but it was moved to mod discussion instead of general discussion.

The purpose of this thread is to find out what the current thought is on purchasable mods and the reason behind it. Also to outline the process that would occur based on previous developer comments as well as the community.

Application-Review process:
    1. The mod's quality must be at a professional level.
    2. Prior to the application being submitted the mod must be feature complete.
    3. Mod/Code review which would be done by Uber in order to make sure there are no malicious mods either attentional or otherwise.
    4. Application and processing fees in order to stop spam and pay the reviewers salary. (Also could include some kind of green-light process for community involvement.)
    5. If accepted by Uber the mod author would have to sign the mod marketplace agreement.
    6. Price is set by Uber and marketplace is curated by them.

Prior thread located here. (Developer comments are not to be considered official Uber policy. Merely thoughts in the prior thread.)
    Last edited: June 19, 2014
  2. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Moving to mod discussion.
  3. lokiCML

Well, that defeats the purpose of this thread. I was trying to aim it at a more general audience not just modders.:)
    Last edited: June 16, 2014
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I'm not really sure what there is to discuss here at this time, I mean, Uber's prior comments basically lead up to "We will be in full control of the system" and I doubt they'd be ready to talk about it yet.

I know at this stage I don't really have anything that I could add to such a conversation at this stage that I haven't already brought it the prior thread.

I think it will be a good topic discussion, once we have more information to work off of.

Mike
  5. lokiCML

Well I wanted to check current temperature on the issue. In relation to the purchasable custom commanders in the armory. May this thread rest in peace not serving its purpose before it even had a chance to.:p
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Not having any official information on it, I would think if it wasn't touched on recently, it might be a later priority.

Which to me would make sense, a mod database really needs a functioning game first. Also, because a mod database really benefits from a longterm crowd, compared to features in-game that benefit ASAP.

But don't get me wrong, mod support starting now is important because mod hooks are important to troubleshoot and sharpen ahead of "full initialization".
  7. lokiCML

By mod database what do you mean?:confused: I was thinking long line of section in the main menu where you'll find mods. A super-majority of them would be free and like %1 of them would be paid for. Each mod description and a rating (with some safeguards of course). There could be different places for paid-for-mod and free ones. You would either purchase one or click on a free mod and it would be downloaded and installed into the game. I was thinking more conceptually than actual implementation.;)
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I doubt Uber has the resources to code review mods like that and I also don't think it is required.
  9. lokiCML

First and foremost all this is to ensure a quality product for the purchaser. On the resources aspect I really can't say but they could especially after release of PA. It would demonstrate due diligence on Uber's behalf as the arbiter and curator of the mod marketplace. A code review might not be required but it certainly wouldn't harm them. In the long run it could be beneficial.

Edit: also they could use a automated code review process. that would lessen the need to manually review the code.
    Last edited: June 19, 2014
  10. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I can't give you guys definitive answers at this point really as we are still debating how it should work and seeing how it evolves. Code reviews are unlikely due to time constraints but security is important and that's a potential way to help on that front.

I would expect paid mods to be a smaller percentage of what's available but this is all new territory. We are still building the infrastructure to make all of this happen.
    archcommander likes this.
  11. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Personally not a big fan of paid mods. I feel that modding communities are a special thing that came out of PC gaming and we are so lucky to have a rich community with so many mods on many games not just this one. If we start charging for mods, I think we will loose the quint essential reason why people make what they make in the form of mods. It would turn games into a pay fest micro-DLC's where people would make mods just simply to make money, rather than just for the simple fact they love the game with such a passion, that they spent time and effort to make it better for everyone else with some really interesting and unique ideas. It just boggles the game down to micro transaction mess in my opinion.

If people want to make mods, then great, fantastic, that is absolutely awesome, but if you want to get paid for it too, then just simply don't bother if that is really the only reason why you want to make a mod in the first place. Paid mods open the floodgates to the wrong direction of the gaming industry which we already have with day-one DLCs or DLCs just in general already. One could argue this is how people could make it in the industry, but really people could use the content they make anyway, regardless if a mod is a paid one or not, look at epic games with their $1 million make something unreal contest. That is a prime example of modding done right, the moment people start charging for mods, it'll change modding forever and I don't want that, this is one thing that separates PC gaming from consoles in the best possible way. Please don't destroy that guys.
    zx0, LavaSnake and sierra159 like this.
  12. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

If you want my resppnse: I don't really agree with the fact that a mod should be purchased as the amount of time and work that goes into the mod is much less than into developing a game and engine it will run on. But I have no quarrel with people trying to sell their mods I just wont be buying them.
    Therefore the mod marketplace should be set up in such a way that free mods should be segregated from pay ones. Additionally having a rating and review system is a must IMO as well as a report system so malicious mods and ripoffs can be filtered away.
  13. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

Depends on how it is done and who is doing it (in relation to time) but yes the expense would be high (as it would be a full time job for someone).