[TUTORIAL] Creating a new unit from scratch

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by killerkiwijuice, January 3, 2016.

1. themax267

themax267 New Member

2. themax267

themax267 New Member

I have two critical questions which I can't find the answers to. First off I've basically been trying to replicate the hover tank and spinner aa vehicle animation models in order to figure out how to make my turret move. Do I have to animate them or do I just have to put the bone labels inside of my anim_tree file with the correct axis orientation. Also for making a hover animation is that done by moving the bone_root or do I have to animate a new bone?
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

You can use existing animations, but the position, rotation, and size have to be exactly the same. It would be easier just to make a new animation, in the rare case of hover animations as described below.

Bone root is always 0,0,0. The part of a unit that makes it hover is actually defined in the unit spec. Check out the hover tank, it should have something that says hover: path in its animation section. This animation can be easily reused.
    stuart98 and themax267 like this.
  4. themax267

themax267 New Member

Okay thanks that's pretty straightforward. So do I have to animate my turret as well or does the game just move it by itself when I give it which axis to use for aiming in the anim_tree? I want to have the turret base move independently of the turret gun. So it would be the turret's base or stand first rotating to the direction of the target, then the turret gun adjusting the pitch.
    Last edited: February 14, 2017 at 12:17 PM
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Yes, that would be in the anim tree. Check out some preexisting trees if you want to see how it works throughout various bone structures.
  6. themax267

themax267 New Member

Got my model to work okay, It now moves the turret with the pitch and pivot, plus it hovers. My only problem now is that when my model is shooting at something that's behind it it will move the pivot fine but for some reason the pitch bone in the actual turret makes it flip over giving me this. It shoots from the front and the sides fine though. Just to clarify it can shoot at targets behind its just the pitch bone's look that is wonky. 20170216133111_1.jpg
  7. themax267

themax267 New Member

Nvm I figured it out, I just had to put my pivot bone first before the turret one. Thank you all for helping me get my first PA mod together I really appreciate the help. :)
    cdrkf, stuart98 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

So is this new unit going to be released on the CMM? I'd love to have a play around with it...
    themax267 likes this.
  9. themax267

themax267 New Member

Yes I definitely want to put it on CMM. I just have some balancing tweaks to do plus maybe change some of the particle colors for it's weapon. I also might try to figure out how to get the ai to use the unit as well.
    cdrkf likes this.