Tripod's Terrible Terrascapes (all my maps in one easy to insult location!)

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by Tripod27, February 7, 2015.

1. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Alright, I figured that if I'm going to be making as many maps as I am currently, that I should probably just put them all in one updating thread than making a ton of them for each individual map

Current maps are below along with a youtube video showcasing them. Most videos will be against AI (meaning that team based maps will have random spawns nowhere near whey they should be, since AI don't do shared armies) until I manage to get some victims volunteers to try them out or uber adds assignable spawns to teams

Feel free to suggest new map ideas or changes to my current maps. If I agree with the changes, I'll update the map. If I don't agree but I have some time, I'll make a custom version of the map for you that you can use with the changes you want. More maps probably soon, as well as variants with more than one planet, but right now I'm really waiting for assignable spawns

(most videos are currently out of date, just removed a ton of metal from my maps and prettied them up a bit, new vids up soonish, downloads should be of the new ones)

Amazon (2 vs 2/4 vs 4) video outdated - A 900 radius map made for mixed combat. Naval is extremely powerful due to a ton of the metal being in range of naval bombardment and multiple chokepoints defensible by naval. Both spawns start near the water meaning that chances are you can use your navy to attack the enemy base directly

Madlands (1 vs 1) video - A 500 radius desert duel map meant for 1 vs 1. Only about 60% of the surface is usable giving it a classic flat map feel, and the surface is littered with chokepoints, height changes, cover, and split into two lanes on either side and one double lane in the middle. Expanding into at least one of these lanes as early as possible is Key since there isn't too much metal in the spawn

Cyanide (2 vs 2/3 vs 3) video outdated - A 800 radius map focused mainly on naval warfare. A large chunk of land with a dense amount of metal does connect the two spawns so ground units are still recommended, but the majority of the metal is destroyable by naval units and can't be accessed by ground

Ridgeback (2 vs 2/3 vs 3) video outdated - A 600 radius desert planet where both teams spawn on either pole. Various metal concentrations around the equator including a destroyed gun emplacement, an abandoned city, a mountain passage, and a canyon provide both defensible positions and resources to fight over. A small 100 radius moon with no resources orbits the planet and only requires one halley to launch at your opponent's base, but don't expect it to do too much damage when it hits, so aim for something vital

Grey Mesa (1 vs 1/2 vs 2) video outdated - Formerly known as "A bridge too far" before enough playtesting showed that the bridge was causing more problems than fun gameplay and the spawns weren't ideal, also I figured out how to use arch projection on brushes so now the big metal platforms look better and it opens up more playable space, especially around the trench alley. The linked video is actually more indicative of how the current map plays though because the spawns are more similar and the bridge was never used much. A 700 radius, 85 metal arena meant for 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 team battles with shared armies. The two bases are located on opposite sides of the planet in large courtyards containing a few buildings and walls, with four large ramps leading onto two large mesa-like platforms on either side of the planet, which contain a little bit of metal and an easy path to the enemy base. between the spawns in both directions are two alleys that connect the two courtyards. One alley has a trench running down it's middle, and two bridges crossing the trench above. On the other side of the planet is a more open alley connecting the two pits, but it holds less metal, making it less valuable but easier to take (images)
    Last edited: February 12, 2015
    lorodion and guest1 like this.
  2. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Thanks for all this stuff ! looks good and will give them a try :)
  3. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Yeah no problem man, if you see anything you don't like feel free to suggest changes, I got time and mapping is (usually) fun*

*As long as the editor doesn't delete the hundreds of custom metal spots and cfgs I spent hours putting down -_-
  4. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Alright, convinced some other guys from realm to try the Amazon CP map with me against some unsuspecting pubbies, one guy had to go to the bathroom but phrased it as "taking my kids to the pool" ( damn British people) so we ditched him thinking he'd take a while and played 3 vs 4 instead.

This didn't seem to matter much since knowing pub matches, one of the guys on the other team was probably draining their Eco for useless units while deleting all of their actual helpful units out of spite, but I got a replay of one of my maps with real people out of it so enjoy

Luckily that match taught me that I have way too much metal on the map that's way too spread out, meaning it's too easy to turtle and harass since there's no need to take all of the metal available and no clumps of Mex to prioritize attacking/defending

I got a better version of the map coming out tomorrow to fix those issues, and probably better versions of my other maps will be updated as well since a few of them have similar problems (gotta kick my habit of filling every location that doesn't have a cfg with green dots)
    doud likes this.
  5. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Just finished my latest map, figured I would go for something a little less realistic since going by the community map pack, that's what the kids are into these days, so here is A Bridge Too Far

Renamed to Grey Mesa, spawns, metal locations reworked, unusable ground decreased, trench alley widened and bridge removed (guess why I changed the name)

Grey Mesa is a 700 radius, 85 metal arena meant for 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2 team battles with shared armies. The two bases are located on opposite sides of the planet in large courtyards containing a few buildings and walls, with four large ramps leading onto two large mesa-like platforms on either side of the planet, which contain a little bit of metal and an easy path to the enemy base. between the spawns in both directions are two alleys that connect the two courtyards. One alley has a trench running down it's middle, and two bridges crossing the trench above. On the other side of the planet is a more open alley connecting the two pits, but it holds less metal, making it less valuable but easier to take

Here is a video

EDIT: fixed pathfinding under the bridges, the AI still gets confused under there and acts like it thinks it can't go forward when it can every once in a while but it's a lot better now
    Last edited: February 12, 2015
    guest1 likes this.