The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

also Obama passed trumpcare ...wait
    upload_2017-5-8_11-27-26.png
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Fine, if you want let's throw away all positivity and go with your view of events: France is doomed and Macron will enslave you all. I am sorry for you and won't try again to put a positive spin on these events. Happy now? Probably not.
    tatsujb likes this.
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Lot of French people are feeling similarly bitter, colin. I'm not saying positivity isn't good (I'm inherently a positive guy, I try to look for that in all things), but for a lot of French progressives (or even just left-leaning folks in general), while "not a Nazi" is definitely a plus, it's quite a low bar to pass, right?

Additionally, roughly 30% of voters (in a historically-low turnout, which speaks of the dangers of voter apathy) still voted for the far-right choice. That's something that isn't going to go away just because on election didn't go their way. That's where the real work is.
    tatsujb likes this.
  4. tatsujb

actually yeah the cold hard truth is always more pleasant than a reassuring lie.

us french have a realist take on life not an optimist one.
  5. tatsujb

6. cola_colin

I wasn't aware realism and optimism are incompatible.
  7. tatsujb

I never generalized that way.

read again and you'll realize that's a generalization and an assumption you made just now but that I never implied.

lemme clarify : in this specific context I am being realistic. and realism dictates there is not much optimism to salvage from this situation.

Important distinction.
  8. cola_colin

I guess I misunderstood. When you say "optimist" I think of a person who always puts a positive viewpoint on everything, no matter how bad the situation. Even when an asteroid will hit earth in a few minutes the glass will still be half full.

I guess "we're not getting annihilated by an asteroid" is an even lower bar than "he is not le pen". :D

Oh and something more on this "you act like elodea suddenly":

I am totally for social security and against a totally uncontrolled free market, but a 35 hour week, pension with 62 and high minimum wages are things one could argue to take a bit more into the employer friendly side of things, especially when looking at reducing unemployment issues.

And it seems he'll not even attack those things but have to go smaller steps if he wants to get anywhere.
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  9. tatsujb

Macron is for lowering minimum wages and make the week 35 hours OR LONGER lets just be brutally honest here.
  10. cola_colin

Yeah sure he is. But you have really employee frienldy things (35 hours week and high minimum wages) right now and you also have powerful interest groups that won't give that away easily, so you'll still be in an okay situation even after Macron.
  11. tatsujb

no because now we no longer have any leverage. our interests groups have done what they could against Macron he's never listened before. he didn't listen in the Renault case. He disn't listen in the Eclopa-Isère case. He didn't listen in the Alstom case. all three of these were heavily manifested. nothing.

He didn't listen in the LeMonde conflict of interest case and persisted even as he was being uncovered and everyone was being scandalized about him.

He didn't give a rat's asss how badly he was transgressing the ethics-honor-moral-and-duty code as he worked at the attali commission against the state-public interest. and the laws passed there cannot be revoked.

since he was against a 6th republic or people's referendum tool of any sort (things that most every other candidate were suggesting (even lepen mind you)) we're effectively helpless against anything he does.

this is a sarcozy-bis but worse cuz he's younger he has longer to live and can probably get elected several times over and fuckk us over real hard.

we'll be leaking cash right left and center in foreign money laundering affairs.
  12. cola_colin

If he gets reelected that would indicate he isn't completely destroying you though.

Although I admit these days people vote for all sorts of crazy ways to shoot themselves into the knee hard.

Isn't there some additional election coming up about ... something I forgot? You didn't elect a dictator.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  13. tatsujb

no let's be rational : we didn't elect a dictator but we're also at the very least stuck with him for 5 years.
    and yes next month we'll have the legislatives :
    https://www.google.fr/search?q=terme presidentiel france&oq=terme presid&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.6413j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=prochaines elections en france (acccessorarily the thing we sent 30% lepen deputies to last time around https://forums.uberent.com/threads/france-facing-totalitarianism.71039/)
    it elects (if i understood well) by region (there are 577 of them) a deputy to seat at the legislative assembly...... The legislative assembly, something the french have been getting up in arms for ages now over the deputy absenteeism... because yes they're not obliged to actually do the job they were elected for

this is how the HADOPI law passed incidentally (6.2% present in the assembly on that fateful day).... so you're kinda making my point there.
    as for the El Khomri law well the parliament (third branch) refused that so he used the 49-3 article which if it becomes a norm (oh and it's looking like it will because Manuel Vals (think of him as Emmanuel Macron's right hand man) used it five times on his own and on the el Khomri law alone) you can consider the parliament is entirely absent from the circle of power.
    not really it would only indicate that once again the masses got brainwashed.

might I remind you that :
    and had managed to get a minor clamor of support.

Which MEANS : in france tons of people were dumb enough to have COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE ANAL DEFLORATION THAT WERE 5 YEARS OF SARCOZY. which is INSANE. but true.

the fact that Fillion somehow managed to get 20% (and more than Mélenchon at that) is even MORE damning.

it's insane. he could have literally been convinced of pedophilia during his campaign trails and his number wouldnt've taken the slightest hit because why would it? it's obvious at this point that his voters are 100% voting in an institution/party and not a man. he has the christian vote and that's that. nothing he can do can subtract a single one of his votes.

so to put this into perspective
    20% of french voters would've voted in a pedophile or even a rock so long as it claimed to be christian, no problem and
    21% do the nazi salute.

gives you faith man.

Macron on the other hand got 8 656 346 idiots (24%) to vote for him.

that's his base and he's going to get to indoctrinate them over the course of five years now. remember this is the first time we've ever had a president with the full unilateral backing of the mainstream media : as I've demonstrated here : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/the-politics-thread-play-nicely.70907/page-150#post-1140512
  14. cola_colin

You sure don't think highly of many of your countryman.
  15. tatsujb

no I don't. which is in essence quite french come to think of it.

So lepen rose with this ? in a way yes in a way she flunked totally.
    graphed in elections, 2017 is a down tick for her ... a real big one.
    Her father was doing way better then her and at that time he was being openly xenophobic, antisemitic and even a holocaust denier. he got 30% she got 20%.

that bit about the french-scarf-cafe thing is actually super hilarious and true x'D
  16. cola_colin

he got 30% in the first round?
  17. tatsujb

guess not my bad :
    10.4% in 2007 16.9% in 2002 (all first rounds)

guess i'm completely wrong there.
    EDIT : oh ok 30% was what the polls were giving her.

And giving her odds (the rise of the FN party times her fighting with her father to the power of her turning pro-gay squared) it seemed at the time that that was an underestimation but as it turns out it was rather an underestimation of the numbers the other candidates would each gross and as a result an overestimation of her's.
  18. tatsujb

The James Comey getting fired by trump for having bullied Hillary thing is great isn't it? x'D .....ahhhh what times we live in.

So are we to take it they were getting close to hot embers?
    ezgif-2-5483038041.gif
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    stuart98 likes this.
  19. tatsujb

Oh yeah and I've left this up for two days now and tricked you and you all fell for it. now that you know you're supposed to be looking for something can you tell me what it is? (that being said I'd already implied something was wrong and that still wasn't sufficient)
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  20. tatsujb