The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

daily show standing up for texans who've been fucked over and no longer have clean water :
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Going to need some context on the video above. "The uploader has not made this video available in my country". The news is based on the country it's not available in, as novel as that is.

I did a google search for water incidents this past week. I am aware that El Paso never has water safe enough to drink, like ever. It's likely not the only place in the country, based on the reasons why the water isn't drinkable. It's not exactly a "Flint, MI" incident.

Matter of fact, some rich small town, Kingwood, outside of Houston, used the hype from Flint to claim their darkish-tinted water was harmful, when they just wanted a better pull of resources to upgrade more frequently (their water was literally not dark, they have ******* fountains everywhere, you can see the damned water).

So am I missing something? Our state isn't some environmental waste zone, just because it's republican, it's usually pretty sensible about that even if it's not what republicans are portrayed as. It's also not anti-gay, despite same assumptions otherwise.

http://www.hillcountryalliance.org/three-bills-aim-to-ensure-clean-water-recharges-the-edwards-aquifer/

[Insert claim of obvious observation that Tatsu "counts posts on pages" and then plugs a video into the "post creating a new page"]
    Seriously, he's done this like 6 times now.
  3. tatsujb

I hadn't even noticed. that's how far fetched that is and how does that even matter. first world problems galore here.
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Why do things have to be as bad as Flint in order to qualify for attention?
    stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  5. thetrophysystem

Well, you have it bad on a scale of 1/10.

Well, Flint was an 8, definitely health risk for consumption, may not actually kill you, but may possibly.

El Paso I believe is a 7, but it's "understood", as the public works weren't ever "established" in the first place. It has something to do with water in the desert, forgot exactly what, again, not even sure what the video is about, so all I can do is argue ambiguously. Either way, city tells you, running water is fine for bathing and laundry and toilet, not for drinking unless you get a full-home filter or sink-filter or boil it or something.

For it to be a 9 or a 10, it has to hospitalize or kill you, on scene, in 1 drink.

Well, Kingwood was a 1, if DejaBlue was a 0. It really wasn't bad, but you could make **** up about it, and that pretty much sums up "Kingwood's Water Crisis". Would have no merit, if not riding on the hype of Flint.

I think the junk over here is a 4. I don't think there are any health side effects of this water, it just is white-cloudy, full of calcium deposit, tastes like ****, and if you have an RV water heater, it'll cake your heating coil and burn it out. I'm a heavy water drinker, 2 years, no health problems.

Just saying, I'm thinking Daily Show might be a fake news source or something, because I'm not sure how valid Texas Water Crisis claims are...

...and it's not just about Republican Civil Works vs Democrat Civil Works. Flint, Mi had democrats in charge at a city level, they drank the funds away like any typical government agency in charge of a city's water maintenance fund. "If it doesn't look broken, spend that sh*t on a yacht instead, b*tches love yachts."
  6. Gorbles

Given the timelines involved in rectifying these kinds of situations (given how long Flint has been a situation for), don't you think we need to prioritise them better? Even a lower-priority problem is still a problem.

I mean, this kind of situation is completely alien to me. We don't have anything like it in the UK, and while I appreciate the logistics are completely different given the scale of (and variant climates within) the US, we have remote, barely-settled regions that we can still pull water through to.
    tatsujb likes this.
  7. thetrophysystem

No. You don't. We get water to San Antonio, and that's the FURTHEST the UK has to pull water. We have regions of desert climate predating human habitation, which span the size of the UK. Just, no.

Do they need prioritization? It's a greater necessity, than a yacht for a politician. Flint shouldn't have happened. It should have been fixed for sure. El Paso, should probably get help with resources, if it's even possible. I mean, they can't just reroute water from Canada like California does. How about you give California some grief for their water management?

My first thought on El Paso, is couldn't a pipeline be built? It gets done for gas and oil, and it might "employ US Steel".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: April 21, 2017
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Planetary Moderator

So yeah it isn't easy to do. Nobody claims it is easy to do. But the USA is supposed to be a pretty powerful and rich nation.
    So why do your politicians don't seem to even try to tackle the challenge?

From the video it apparently is a question of a less than 20 million $ to fix the water supply in that place. Maybe instead of wasting a few billion $ on a pointless border wall, they should rather fix their water supplies? Maybe instead of wasting 50+ million $ on a few pointless Tomahawks they should fix the water supply of a town or two?
    So many things the US spends so much money on and yet the most basic things that the population need: Water & Food, Housing, Education, Medical Services, ... all seem to be at the bottom of the list of priorities.
    Which seems so absurd, as those are the things that would really improve quality of life for so many Americans and actually make America a great nation "again". For actually taking care of its citizens.
    tatsujb likes this.
  9. Gorbles

You seem to have taken my post as way more of an aggressive challenge than I ever intended.
    tatsujb likes this.
  10. tatsujb

Opinions on Trump passing a bill to legalize the sale of nationwide browsing history data?
  11. cola_colin

It has not failed to provide me with some nice giggles, so I guess that's a good thing.

tatsujb likes this.
  12. tatsujb

13. tatsujb

14. tatsujb

15. thetrophysystem

Okay, I STILL cannot watch that video, the link is literally not permitted for streaming in the country I am viewing from (which is inside the state of topic for ****'s sake!).

Where the **** is this place, and why does real-news not show any damn articles about it?

Besides, I already said, there's no reason for water not to have priority as much as oil does, except you can't gouge prices for water, people can just not pay, it can be writ off as a necessary resource, and be given anyway, and then nobody makes money off of it.

I don't know about Europe, but in USSR and America, resources for non-profit just doesn't work, someone busts their hump simply too hard to maintain such a feat. Now, obviously, when there's SOME form of benefit to it, someone will do it, and even THAT is different from Europe and the United States. In case of water, again, Europe is a bit more plentiful of it, a bit less distance in certain places, and a bit more efficient with it.

The US should do something about water resources, wood resources, legal reform, marijuana legalization, real treatment of addictions instead of incarceration, political reform, employment reform, economic reform, and community involvement. That's a long list, and none of it's getting done, so I've got nothing, what's your solution, UK and Germany? Laugh? Great, that's what I'm doing too. Tell me when you come up with a REAL solution, and I'll be game to join, because it won't get better until someone does something about it, and locally, some states are better and some aren't, and the division is creating a void nothing can improve in.

Texas, is a weird claim to bring up water infrastructure, when there are worse examples, unless I'm simply missing something because I can't even so much as view the source, nor can I find another source.
  16. tatsujb

https://eu1.proxysite.com/process.php?d=pGWc4L641bf8NgoPB2cjB9187C/tlnKi2GX1JmYTbY9o8j4RtHhKrwz0kx77SAnIogUtcUab9t0=&b=1&f=norefer

do you not know how to use a proxy?

It's like trophy is our kid and he's making his first baby steps.

I don't really know yet why there are back and forth "only for this country" type limits on videos. in my mind this shouldn't exist. any version of this is just another flavor of censorship. and fuckk whatever money you hope to glean from the extra views.

my guess is that's why they do it with the intent of publishing a vid from the other monetized world section accounts to guarantee each one gets 100% of the revenue but then they don't even bother publishing cross-account or the other accounts don't even exist yet.

abroad views aren't theft you twisted fuckking fuckk

that the topic place can't even see the video about themselves isn't a novel concept to this twisted blocking.

but it's refreshing to see for once that the US are sometimes also a victim of this.

It just shows that bullshitt always always ALWAYS cuts both ways.
  17. thetrophysystem

You really spun this around as censorship and the US getting what they deserve? Really? Youtube content localization, is ENTIRELY UP TO THE CORPORATE COPYRIGHT ENFORCED.

So, I'm supposed to fix Comedy Central's nut-hugging the pay-per-view obsolete cable broadcast bullshit? Well, when you're done with that bag of ****, you can eat another.

Also, it's satire news. Also, you haven't provided a 2nd source of ANY KIND, biased or not. If it's made up, often it at least has 2 SOURCES, even if it's Onion articles. If it doesn't have that, then jeez. What do you expect of me?

I know how to use proxies/VPNs you jackass. Isn't that technically law-bypass btw? Can I report Tatsu and have him banned under pretenses of ["Big Duh Don't" Forum Rule 7f: Don’t intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation. Also see: Rule 6, 7a... etc you get the idea. Just don't.]

I won't, ofc, libertarian, but we don't have to keep being dicks about this, acting like only "I" am right. Calm the **** down. As far as I see it, you blame the US for censorship and some regional bullshit they orchestrated and deserve, and I blame corporate content locks instead.
  18. thetrophysystem

Also, just for fun, because I don't think some of you appreciate the vast differences in function, it's worth noting that my water, unlike Kingwood's, is a private well, out in the woods, where 1 guy owns the neighborhood water rights, and the big well charges a service for each property in the neighborhood, and this piece of junk breaks down frequently, is strong in calcium, and gouges it's prices beyond what I'd suspect is just the operating cost. The government could sweep up the rights in imminent domain, but it doesn't because there's no ambition to get stuck with that sort of burden of providing a utility.

I sincerely doubt there's no place in the European countryside that doesn't have a city water connection though. Or a shoddy city water connection at the edge of it's service. Again, there's probably less trouble than here, because taxes actually pay someone who gives a damn, to give a damn. Here, they pay for yachts for someone who thinks they're the Donald Trump of some neighborhood or locality.
  19. tatsujb

major shiit's about to go down in france
  20. cola_colin

gl gg hf