Testing server performances

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cola_colin, October 18, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

We're sooo close to starting. Speed join NOW
  2. cola_colin

So I played myself during the game on the softlayer system, less screenshots of not so relevant things.
    But here is the link too the game: http://pastats.com/chart?gameId=230171

And here is a view of htop in a 3 sim fps phase:
    [​IMG]

The cpu has 4 cores with 8 threads, but that looks to me like it is pretty close to being capped. In some other moments it went beyond 400% cpu load on the server in normal top. So to me this looks like it clearly is out of cores and pushes non-sim stuff onto the sim-core. Bad. The sim seemed slower late game. Though we'll need too actually compare the pa stats unit count graphs and sim speedd graphs, maybe we just played with more units. Maybe.

EDIT:
    Here overall the server is above 400%
    [​IMG]

Random "where does the time go" screen:
    [​IMG]

So yeah... Uber just needs to optimize it to work 3-4x as fast on that one core. Or add multithreading.
    Last edited: October 19, 2014
  3. Nuisible

Nuisible New Member

Thanks all for the game, and special thanks to Cola_colin which made this possible !
  4. cola_colin

Final results in the OP
  5. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Well that was a fun game :D

Now I've got a 4.2GB video I need to upload and/or edit. I'll link the video in the forums once I've got it uploaded somewhere.

EDIT: Re-encoded the video using HandBrake which brought it down from 4.2 to about 2.3GB, and split it into two segments. First segment is me playing the game, second segment is me spectating and casting the game. First segment is about 1GB and is uploading now (5% done, 423 minutes remaining), second part will come later.

Soon I will be getting fibre-optic broadband and uploads will be quicker, woo! And I'll be able to stream to twitch! And maybe even host games :)
    Last edited: October 20, 2014
  6. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

Hahah that was indeed awesome, slow as it was 5 minutes in or so
  7. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Hexacore hey? The new Haswell E5-1650v3 it is then!
  8. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

so how slow was the sim speed at the late game stage and what was the total unit count at its most heavist load? did it come to a crawl or was it really quite fast? also, amazon server? you can rent/host servers through amazon? was a little confused about that
  9. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Have you checked the OP?

Second graph is a screenshot so here's a working link:

https://plot.ly/3/~Quitch/
  10. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

so were the numbers for the units in the thousands, sim speed in frames? At its highest peak, I see that units were 78.289, is that 78k units? and sim speed at its lowest was 16.897, is that in frame rates?
  11. cola_colin

Both wrong. The OP-images and the first link show in the legend that it is hundreds of units, so 7.8k units for 78.289
    and % sim speed. So 100 means the game is running at normal speed, 50 is half speed, etc.
    Quitch likes this.
  12. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I found a xeon 2690 v3..... but it's 500 a month. Curse that benchmark
  13. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

So I'm looking to run 3v3 / 4v4s and want a server. Will be single planet. 950 radius map maximum games, Can a kind gentleman/woman recommend one for me please.
  14. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

15. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

16. robomoo

robomoo Member

Clopse, just be aware that if you want to test for maximum players/units on a custom server, you should use 3-4 planets so that all cores are utilized. That's why we make all Clan Wars games with several planets. A single-planet game will only use one core.