Tank Comander Alpha [v0.2.04]

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by ozonexo3, June 20, 2014.

1. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

ahh ok. well for some feed back, the sensitivity on the mouse is a little low as it struggles to match my cursor. it also seems a little low rez any way to play in windowed mode to make it smaller? also, can you make it so w is to go forward, s to go backward and a and d to turn? it would make the controls much smoother. i also seem to have your piggy on the front of my tank. how cute.
  2. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

I will try to do something with this mouse. It moves exacly like mouse, but there is small lag.
    You say low res... can you send me screenshoot? This should look good in full hd (1920x1080).
    And controls... whel, maybe as alternative in settings. I think this controls are better for this game, because it require fast reaction to change direction. Forward/backward/turn controls are harder
    And this is not a pig, its zergling!
  3. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Menu's looking very PA, might want to veer a bit towards a more unique style xD
  4. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

perhaps its just a motion blur effect because it becomes annoying to look at if you move to quickly. by the way, the exit button dosent work. i have to quit through the start screen.
  5. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Maybe you are right, this left menu looked similar to this in PA. New concept, what do you think now?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I already removed this efect, it was there for test. Also increased resolution of Ambient Obscurance to remove these strange artefacts.
  6. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

7. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

il be gone after this, day for the summer, but i will try to follow the development on my phone. I kind of like the second picture, also, i can clip through enemy tanks for some reason.you don't use actual collision detection do you? you just have a "if touching then move away" code right?
  8. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

its because pathfinding radious is bigger than collider. Just need to configure it. Im also fighting with wreckages. I want to make dynamic generation from units with some physics
  9. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

OK, first alpha release for PC is ready. It's not a final product, but first playable build with all basic assets in it. Android build will be ready tomorrow.

Controls:
    Movement: W,S,A,D or arrows
    Aim with mouse
    Shoot: Left Mouse Button
    Shoot rockets: Right Mouse Button - for that you need to have 500 energy and weapon loaded (icon at the bottom left shows state of it).

Gameplay:
    For every game you will get Metal. For every wave finished without damage, you will get +5% bonus to mass collection at the end of game.
    Energy can be collected by combo kills.
    You can also find energy, metal and armor collectable randomy spawned on map.

Use your Metal in armory for upgrades.

In game there are few example soundtracks - 1 in menu, and 5 in gameplay. In gameplay everytime it loads different track, and it's number is visible at the bottom of the screen. I like them and maybe i will buy them, but first tell me what you think.

New in this build:
    - New track on ground, looks better and will not disappear when unit is killed
    - New dynamic wreckage creation. In future i want to add some physics to it and debries
    - First, basic implementation of new menu
    - Few fixes in controls
    - Changes in PostProces

Known Bugs:
    At start ignore this login think, and just click "play as guest". Accounts are not ready yet. You also can't set your nickname for leaderboards.

Advenced tank model is not ready, I used scaled up model from standard tank.

In meny works only basic function, and most of that will be rebuild in future. This is first think thay I want to finish, before I will add new features to game, because there need to be a way to select map, features, weapons etc.
    Also account creadion need to work, to easly send data between devices and also create multiplatform multiplayer. My brother will help me with this.

Units sometimes stuck in wreckage, im working on it, but its not easy because of engine bug.

DOWNLOAD:
  10. shiwanabe

shiwanabe Member

Play test notes from 3-4 games in:

- Flame tanks need changing in some way. They're just not a threat at all and the only reason I kill them is to spawn the next wave. Mostly this just seems to be a function of their speed and range. It just seems a bit too easy to outrun/run past them and then ignore them for the rest of the wave. (Maybe add a speed increase aura? fire rate? just something to make it a good idea to shoot at them.) I also think that their attack animation doesn't play properly if you don't let them get a proper volley in (they seem to rotate before firing and I've noticed that I've taken damage without the flames appearing - or at least, just a very tiny spot of them).

- Advanced tanks are a lovely inclusion, about the right amount of health to not feel like a grind while still showing that they're better than the basic ones. Not sure how their attack works though, can't remember what happens when hit as there's usually a lot of other shots in the air at that time. ><;

- Basic tanks are currently the big threat with their numbers and aiming. With how they spawn they're *going* to surround you and if you let that stay the case they'll easily kill you.

- Upgrades: I've now grabbed a couple of levels of each and I can say that while the Damage one's not immediately noticeable (still 2 hits, and it's hard to keep track of fire-rate from game to game) the others have large effects for the first rank are seem to be well put together (although there's no indication that the UC takes 500E without remembering this fact). The first armour is just enough to take a second shot in a short time period and the abi8lity to charge for a second UC shot without having to fire the first makes that a lot more efficient to use.

- Music: "Audio Jungle"... and I haven't noticed if there's actually more than one track playing.

- Overall: Nice improvements over the first version and it'll be nice to see where you take it now that it's not directly tied to PA's units.
    ozonexo3 likes this.
  11. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

cannon upgrade is the best one. It also increase fire speed so you can faster react and kill. On higer levels it oneshot tank. Also every upgrade makes flame tank die faster and you will faster get to later waves. About flame tank i think that maybe they will load for few sec and then shot long trail of flame and we need to avoid it. Rigt now yes, its broken.
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Wow, this game is looking awesome @ozonexo3 ! I remember when we could just spin and the tanks would never hit us hahaha. Keep going buddy!
    ozonexo3 likes this.
  13. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Android build

Build v0.2.02
    - Added explosion sound
    - Soundtracks in game now changes (if you don't like them, you can turn music off in settings menu)
    - UC icon changed to rockets, and moved to the top right
    - Added small AutoAim for mobile devices, compensates harder controls

DOWNLOAD HD - High quality textures
    DOWNLOAD SD - For small or old devices
  14. shiwanabe

shiwanabe Member

As both of those links are for .apk files and the filename of the windows version hasn't updated, is the new release only on mobile atm?

Also I would like to point out that I was referring to the first set of upgrades. Once you get the cannon to oneshotting the basic guys yes, it's almost worth it, but until then it's far less valuable than the armour or energy.

The armour one is what I'd call the most powerful over all. Mostly due to that fact you've made it shield-like, meaning each upgrade can greatly extend how long you can continue fighting.

Other notes:
    - A wave counter would be nice
    - Differing effects between attacks that hit and those that just miss would be very useful

Edit: fixing quote code.
    Last edited: June 30, 2014
    ozonexo3 likes this.
  15. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

This seems really interesting, I will definitely check it out.
  16. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

[v0.2.03] - Rebalance and Pathfinding
    Code:
    Standar tank speed from 3 to 3.5
    Flame tank speed from 2 to 2.5
    Start Wave Size from 3 to 6
    Spawn enemy ratio from 0.8 to 1.2
    Minimal spawn distance to player from 13 to 19
    Powerup cos from 500 to 150
    Powerup reload from 3 to 1
    Powerup bullets from 6 to 1
    Powerup DMG from 200 to 100
    Powerup shoot now count to combo
    Fixed spread DMG (now uses distance to reduce DMG)
    Energy load 1 every 1s
    Hud unit comming icons now scale by unit distance from screen
    Fixes in PathFinding, Vreckages and Colliders
    Fixed bug when sometimes Powerup not shoot
    Energy Upgrades are now much smaller
    Max Armor Upgrades are smaller
    Added Waves counter

shiwanabe likes this.
  17. shiwanabe

shiwanabe Member

Cool, standard is more dangerous and Flame can actually keep up. They actually have a threat value for me now :)
    A few notes here:
    - I think you forgot to remove the spread on the shots
    - The damage really doesn't feel like enough to warrant taking the time to interrupt the shot spam to fire something that does that little damage. (Esp once you have a few gun upgrades, at +75% [I think] I did a lot better if I acted as though the powerup didn't exist)
    - The little 'x' icon on the powerup still uses the old value for saying when it's ready.
    Whoo~!
    Not really sure how the upgrade changes would go, but I suspect the energy one's not worth much at all with the power-up issues.

On a related note, an in-game way to quickly reset upgrades would be nice. I suspect I can find the save and delete it, but it'd be nice to just click a button in-game to do this.

Bragging:
    14289 ;P

And I was missing the top armour and gun upgrades, doubt they'll change it much though. (I'm guessing the 11111 was you since it had a name attached :D)
    Last edited: June 30, 2014
    ozonexo3 likes this.
  18. shiwanabe

shiwanabe Member

Since my last post has been seen... My apologies to those of you who don't like double posts.

Health gets a bit interesting once you get to the point of being able to take most of the damage on armour. And it's actually can get ridiculous enough that I feel some sort of incentive to stay at a lower health amount might be a bonus to the game.

For example here's an extreme example of health stacking up during play:

[​IMG]
    Now, that is with all upgrades maxed, so there's a lot that could be said for them stacking too high, but I've managed ~440% with quite a lot less in the upgrade department. It was quite worrying as to whether I would actually die when I was at wave 37 and still gaining health.

Other notes:
    - Found a way to use the new power-up; mass wreck creation. Throw a couple into the horde and there's a good chance you'll create a blocking set of wrecks. Still pretty much useless when used as single shots.
    - Flame tanks feel like they've gotten a little too much health taken off, Maybe give them 20% more health than they have currently?

And for posterity, here's the end of that ridiculous run (which I'm sure took around 1 1/2 hours):
    Game Over
    ozonexo3 likes this.
  19. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

I wanted powerups to works more like secound weapon, to use it more often because it's cool. I think there need to be new unit - artylery. It will shot similar to SupComs t1 arty, where even if you will be close they will shot up and bullet will be flying always same time. And give them 150hp, to be for 3 shoots. They should be easier to dodge and less broken when comming in from outside screen.
    Next will be Walking Bomb. For begining its for 4 shoots. It will come to screen, then it will arm, and move much faster to you, but then it will be for 2 shots. So this is unit that will force you to change focus to it, and you can't dodge it.
    After that I will think about rebalance guns/powerups. But I want to totaly rebuild all that weapons jazz , but first for that I need working Armory Menu, with powerups, mods, units, upgrades and tanks to customize. It needs to be cool.

Before that I will release small fix.
    - I don't like that you played one game for so long. This means that difficulty scaling is not working as it should.
    - Also I will remove getting more than 100% HP.
    - More HP for flamers.
    - Reset button in settings.
    shiwanabe likes this.
  20. shiwanabe

shiwanabe Member

I... *Squee* Thank you~!

- That run was just silly. I will be thankful if I never manage that again. I will note that I did reach the point where I was completing full runs around the area before the last of the wave had spawned, so I think I ran into a spawn cap or something.
    - Reset'll be nice, means I can see what the game's like without the full upgrade list, which means better feedback.
    - I have to admit my comment on flamers was more from a feel point of view, they just went from walls of health to having ~33% more than an advanced tank.
    - I remember taking over 100% damage in a short period a couple of times, but I suspect that the armour is more of the issue. I remember repeatedly having my armour knocked down to <10% but not quite enough to cause me HP damage. I think the HP spawn rate might also be a touch high, but that's probably just a function of the other effects and the ability to stack it endlessly.

My apologies about how negative my posts have been, but I like this little game you've made a lot and it's really nice to see it develop. I'm just hoping to provide a bit more play testing on what you've released to help you refine it into something of even greater glory than it already is.

Otherwise, I'm see that a lot of really cool things are going to be coming. Will be interesting to see what the new units do for the difficulty curve.
    ozonexo3 likes this.