Swap the HP of Atlas and Ares

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by huangth, August 21, 2015.

?

Should Altas get more HP than the Ares gets?

1. Yes

54.5%
  2. No

45.5%
  1. huangth

huangth Active Member

Atlas:
    It is an assault unit which must rush into the enemy army or base.
    It has 40000 HP in 86422 Titan.

Ares:
    It is a long range arty unit which can kite the enemy units.
    It has 80000 HP in 86422 Titan, according to the PADB website.

Should Uber swap their HP?
    Let Altas get more HP than the Ares gets.
  2. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

It looks counter-intuitive, but it might be necessary to balance out the devastating damage an Atlas can. On the other hand, I found the ares firepower to be surpisingly weak, kinda expected heavy AOE.
  3. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

No. You see, Ares is supposed to be a heavy support Titan that is meant to be really hard to take down. Epic range and high health mean you'll have extreme trouble trying to shoot one down that is supported properly; but as it is so slow both to fire and to move, you can't let your guard down as it is toast if it is caught alone. Its relatively poor damage and good range mean that you should play conservatively with it.

Atlas is the exact opposite, you're meant to play aggressively with it and force the enemy to pull back. You charge relentlessly and it doesn't slow you down to destroy everything on your way; that kind of unit can't have too much health. If it did, then you wouldn't have to support it against concentrated fire, and that would be game over.

If you ask my opinion Atlas is a great titan and Zeus is great for slaying spams of T1 units that happen late game and also for commander sniping, though I don't build Ares much as I have yet to be in a situation that called for sustained long range harrassment from a source that is really darn hard to take down. I did once combine it with an Atlas but the enemy couldn't stop the Atlas on its own so I am not sure.

In conclusion, if you ask me Atlas is one fine robot and shouldn't be altered.
  4. huangth

huangth Active Member

At the beginning, I think as the same as you.
    But after I played few time with titan class units in ranked game,
    I change my mind.

The Atlas looks more powerful, but its damage of the boundary can't kill the T2 tank in single attack.
    And in fact, Atlas loses his hp quite quickly when rushing into the enemy force.

While the Ares is very difficult to take it down.
    Its main gun can clear T1 tank spam very quickly indeed.
    And the owner can build the defender building after it, then steady push with it.