Survey: What Types of PA Gameplay Videos Do You Like?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, June 22, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Last edited: June 22, 2014
  2. brianpurkiss

Wow. Lots of responses so far! Some very interesting stuff.

There are a lot more 3s than I expected.

I did expect Commentated matches to be more popular, but I didn't expect recorded YouTube videos to be more popular. I also expected massive multi planet FFAs to be more popular.

There's also some really cool additional comments written in. Thanks so much if you did provide an additional comment!

Interesting stuff.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Wait...

Massive multi-planet FFAs are more popular?

I don't even...
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

They're more fun.
    People like fun things.
  5. stuart98

Single planet FFAs are infinitely more fun.
  6. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Its all a matter of preference, personally i love team naval massive games

Still, everyone likes something different, fortunatly Ubers system makes things flexible
    Cant wait for more player lobbies to be added, so we can have those 20v20 >=D
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  7. brianpurkiss

My favorite is 2v2s/3v3s.

And I do prefer single planet. Orbital still needs more work IMO.

As soon as there are 3 or more teams involved, there's just too much luck for my tastes. Gotta hope that you don't spawn too close to too many people and get attacked by several people at once. But that's just the nature of FFAs.

FFAs make for intense gameplay, and action packed footage. But as a player, I prefer facing off against one opponent/team. More strategy, less luck.
  8. stuart98

FFA or 1v1, I don't care too much. I prefer relying on my own skill without the outcome being affected by the [in]competence of my teammate.
  9. brianpurkiss

Interesting. I love relying on teammates. You can be a lot more efficient and effective, if players are on comms and know what they're doing.

Have you played a team match while on voice comms with some players you know? It's a ton of fun.
  10. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

I'm currently not a fan of multi-planet FFAs simply because orbital gameplay still feels unpolished and invasions are still a laggy headache. When invasions are more finalized and the player cap is raised, they'll be very cool, but the gameplay doesn't feel there yet.
  11. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

I feel like such a minority... I get absolutely no entertainment from watching other people play. Even when it's an Uber-cast of upcoming features I would rather read about the changes than watch any of it. (Brian, you're my hero in that regard) If I have an hour for the game I would rather play it myself. I feel like the whole right hand side of the main menu us cluttered space and an eye sore. I would rather hide the entire community news and twitch interface. I come here to talk to you guys because I enjoy your company, but I have no interest in being talked *at* by a video for even 1 minute.

It's not just E-games, I feel the same way about other sports. I can't stand to watch them but I enjoy playing.

Am I the only one?
    mredge73 and PeggleFrank like this.
  12. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Exactly.:)
    No you're not the only one. Digital hugs.;)
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  13. brianpurkiss

You're not the only one. Nothing wrong with that. But some people enjoy watching.

I'm glad you appreciate my recaps! :)
  14. trialq

trialq Post Master General

It's all good. 1v1 is very different to the rest, but it can all be entertaining. The players just need to have enough skill (particularly 1v1), or alcohol and a mic.
  15. brianpurkiss

Wow. Up to 123 submissions. That's pretty cool.

I'd love to get another batch of responses before I make the fancy graphs.

I'm surprised that more people prefer team games than FFAs. People also prefer multi-planet gameplay, which is not surprising.

Wow. Point of View gameplay is pretty low on the popularity list. As is Live Streaming. People seem to way prefer recorded YouTube videos...

Thanks for all the responses from everyone! It's interesting. I love looking at statistics and data.
  16. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

yall gonna love the 3v3 team thats going to join the scene soon
  17. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

You mean team pag? Clopse, matiz and elodea?
  18. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Elodea aint urs to take......
  19. loganfrost97

loganfrost97 New Member

I saw this wasn't really mentioned as an option, I really liked your video covering cliffs mod though. This idea will be more relevant when the game is done and more modders are coming out with game changing mods. It would be cool to see you review the better mods that add in cool features(like cliffs) or unique units or whatever else the modding community will come up with.
  20. brianpurkiss

Yeah, I do mod reviews from time to time.

But you're right, a lot of the mods out there don't really require a full video. They're just rather simple.

I do want to make some more mod videos and the like, but PA is unplayable for me and has been unplayable for at least two weeks now. As soon as I can play the damn game I'm gonna get back to making videos and tutorials.

I have a script for a really good intro video for new players (very useful for the huge influx of players), but I can't freaking play PA to make the video. It's infuriating.