Suicide a Planet into the Sun?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by necrillain, January 13, 2014.

1. necrillain

necrillain New Member

Would be neat if you could build enough Halley's to launch a planet into the sun.
    Remy561, moldez, leighzer and 2 others like this.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

But not very practical.

Mike
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  3. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Who cares, I would laugh my **** off if someone in a 1v1 on a radius 249 planet went and ninjad 3 halleys then sent it into the sun.
    moldez and Pendaelose like this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

this actually is discussed all over the forum and I personally regard it as a valid strategy.
    vyolin and stormingkiwi like this.
  5. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I think this would be incredible.
  6. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Bro please search first ..... not to be a **** but every thread you posted today has about twenty similar threads
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Been talked about before.

Would be pretty pointless. If a planet is small enough to build Halleys on, then theres a 9,999 out of 10,000 chance you won't be able to finish them before your opponent attacks and destroys then.

And yes. PLEASE do a search first in accordance with the forum rules. All of your threads have already been talked about on the forums.
  8. tatsujb

actually Neutrino talked about moving planets into desired orbits. If I understand correctly in the end product there'll be nothing you can't move around.

not to mention your argument about it being pointless is erroneous. this is a question of balance. the haliey is part of the game and that's final.
    moldez likes this.
  9. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

It already happened to me! I was playing on a map I made with the inner 4 planets of our solar system and their moons. I had Mars and Phobos (with 3 engines) and I launched Phobos at Earth. The guy who had earth also had Deimos (with like 8 engines). When I launched Phobos at Earth he responded by launching Deimos at Phobos. Deimos was behind but moving faster due to having more engines. Luckily I sent 1 normal radar sat and 2 attack sats from Phobos to Deimos right before I launched Phobos. As Deimos neared Phobos my sats finished off his 3rd to last engine and Deimos stalled. Un-hindered, Phobos screamed into earth and ended his base (but not his com). Deimos lost all it's engines before he could kill my sats and as he was trying to build more engines Deimos fell into the sun because it no longer had a target or any engines! ROTFL
  10. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Uber has talked about not all planets being moveable. Only small enough planets will be moveable unless Uber has changed their mind.
  11. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Now i want to move the sun. hahah, oh you dont wanna fight, here take some SUN. or just move the sun entirely, fight in eternal darkness haha
  12. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

The lord of the bots has spoken.
    iron420 likes this.
  13. Reianor

Reianor New Member

:D:D:D
    NO!!! the Sun is getting away! quick, fire up the engines, we can still catch up!

How would one build an engine on the sun anyway? :confused:

And then, if the sun moves way, what the heck are the planets going to orbit? :confused:
    spicyquesidilla and stormingkiwi like this.
  14. tatsujb

the sun actually. have you not yet moved a planet with a moon?

(I know it was a joke)
  15. peronauta

peronauta New Member

It would be fantastic to the planet after being hit by several moons, lose mass and can be attracted to the sun!
  16. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

At this point why not to send into the Sun some kind of Doom Machine and transform it into a Supernova.

Though, I still prefer a Comets Shower. That's likely how water planets are generated.
  17. Reianor

Reianor New Member

Naw, I didn't buy the game yet. Sigh... and to think that ancient Greeks could do it for free with just a decent leverage point...

Yeah, I'm kidding again... about the Greeks anyway...

But, when I think about it, it might not be that far from actual gameplay concept, you know, taking into consideration the whole galactic war thing, sun-centered diversions might have their place in game in some form.
    Geers and stormingkiwi like this.
  18. Reianor

Reianor New Member

Actually, if anything, loosing mass would help it gain distance not loose it. The more mass it has the stronger the attraction force gets. But, unless I've forgotten my physics, all that is needed to crash an orbiting body into a body that it is orbiting is for the orbiting body to lose enough speed. "Orbiting" is when the gravity's acceleration keeps changing the speed vector of the body in such a way that it's trajectory becomes cycling. In the simple case of circular orbit, the speed itself remains constant, only the vector's direction is changing. To keep it in orbit, the speed has to be at such a value that the resulting change in vector's direction keeps aligning it perpendicularly to the gravitations vector as the object is "making rounds". Loosing speed would shift the vector inwards and send the object on an inwards spiralling trajectory. Gaining speed would shift the vector outwards, and send the object on an outwards spiralling trajectory. Both, unless corrected, would eventually spell doom for object's inhabitants, well that, of cause, depends on inhabitants in question. Humans would probably die shortly from the change in climate alone, but giant space-faring robots might be more resilient.

That, btw, is why I'm having a hard time understanding the reasoning behind the planet's engine requirements (not from the gameplay side obviously). Sending it on different trajectories requires different effort. And if I can't "fly the moon like a ship" without several engines, I should be able to send it crashing into the planet that it's orbiting with notably less effort. If these engines can affect the moon well enough to make it reach anything within manageable time, than activating a smaller amount of them at the right spot should be more than enough to send the planet spiralling "downwards" (or rather inwards, as "down" quickly becomes obsolete in space). It also seems reasonable from gameplay perspective. Sending a moon far away SHOULD be harder then sending it at it's own planet which is practically a "control centre" and the "capital" of the "neighbourhood".

Also, even our current computing capabilities should be close enough to calculating how to "sling" the moon to collide with desired object by sending it on an outwards spiral. Moon flying with engines constantly running may look cool from uneducated perspective, but with a bit of physics in mind that is actually starting to look silly. A simple short emission or in simpler terms "push" would be more cost efficient, inertia (you know, space is empty, no friction to slow things down, only gravity getting in the way and that's not much of a stopper) should handle the rest. You only need a bunch of engines constantly running if you want to reach higher speeds. And then again, thanks to the lack of friction, the "marathone of acceleration" that we are all used to with our transportation is no longer required. You don't need to keep increasing the speed to counteract the friction that keeps decreasing it.
  19. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

I got this to happen too screwing around in the gamma build. I built engines on 3 moons this system also had 2 planets. I moved my comm to Hoth then launched Oiifwinkle at Distoman, then launched Distoman at Timoria and also launched Sinanju at Timoria. Timoria was hit by too moons but Oiifwinkle never reached Distoman in time. After Distoman was gone, Oiifwinkle got confused propelled itself into the sun engines still burning, pretty sweet.:p allthough I would love to see a stall
  20. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Seems like it'd be the ultimate **** move in 1 planet games.
    I like it.
    vyolin and Geers like this.