[Suggestion] The Armory's full potential

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zaphys, November 27, 2014.

?

Would you like to have a richer Armory together with expendable XP points obtained in ranked games?

1. Yes, absolutely.

30 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. Only if... (explain reason).

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. No.

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. I don't care.

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

I recently wrote an extensive post with comments for the devs and one of the sections described how the Armory could be a huge factor for keeping players interested in the game:

Given the special feature of PA of having singular units, commanders, with which the players indentify themselves - something new in a competitive RTS - I think Uber should make full use of it. Of course, the unit in-game stats must remain the same to keep balance without complicating the game and making the collection of commanderst into a MOBAish hero roster but the appearance may change to fit the taste of the player. The current Armory system is a simplistic (although valid for the time being) approximation of what the ideal system could be. After discussing the issue with some people, we concluded that it will be very interesting to be able to buy cosmetic accessories or parts for your commander so that it feels personal when it appears in the loading screen of a game against other players. Maybe the current models can stay but things like badges, armour, weapons... could be added to the Armory for players to buy. An other interesting idea could be to grant exclusive items to those players who achieve a specific rank so that they can show off their status on the loading screen and in the commander model in-game. This feature, if well-implemented, could ensure the longevity of the game by generating a continuous income for Uber which, in turn, could help reduce the selling price of the game so that it becomes yet more appealing to a broader audience.

These, together with having a XP/levelling system that gives players the oportunity to get some of the Armory material by playing (and being good at) the game, are some of my ideas to fully realise the potential of the Armory. Do leave your thoughts on how this can be done!
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Winning any game could give you certain amounts of XP and winning/losing a ranked game based on skill can give you a certain amount of XP.

I like it but it would be quite a lot of work.
    psyk323 likes this.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

As long as none of these affect game play I'm up for it. :p
    xankar, Zaphys and slocke like this.
  4. klavohunter

klavohunter Member

Yeah - that's one reason I hate Killing Floor. If you're not already leveled up like crazy from previous games, you just die.
  5. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

achievements should show in it for starters. And anyone bitching about the time took to hook it, should be banned from forums, like some jerks did for steam achievement update.

an emblem for achievements players can use next to username ingame, would be nice. One for each rank of ladder, one for each achievement, one for each commander png including locked ones for each kickstarter or purchase commander.

besides that, colors for username, for special stats like gameplay or how many modded lobbies joined or something
    Zaphys likes this.
  7. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

As I count 3 votes for "No." so far, could anyone give a reason why they would rather not have a more developed Armory and some sort of cosmetic retribution for dedicated players?
  8. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

4 "No." votes now (eventhough the vast majority is a "yes" of some sort), it will be really nice if you guys left a brief explanation (other than "a trolling troll is a troll who trolls") why you don't want a feature that only improves and expands an existing aspect of the game while leaving the rest unchanged and potentially expanding the player base and ensuring some longevity.
  9. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

Come on guys... more "No." votes without explanation... Is it that we are missing something that will negatively affect the game because of having more cosmetic customisation and some sort of player reward system?
  10. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

No. Don't do this. It's annoying and pointless. People will explain their votes if they feel like it. Stop shitposting your own thread please.
    igncom1 likes this.
  11. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was (am) just genuinely very curious about how can someone not want a better armory (more awsome commanders! o_O ) in the game.
  12. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

I voted no... The idea is actually useless for people who cant play ranked games, and would rather just play galatic war and skirmish.
  13. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

OK, maybe the phrasing in the poll question was too narrow. The XP system will be intended for rewarding dedicated players (be it ranked or unranked) so that, over time, you can get cosmetic items and badges that show off your dedication and skill. A simple point system balancing the basic parametres of a game (duration, unit destruction, win/loss, relative rank of the players involved, level of AI...) could be easily implemented so that a reasonable amount of XP is given to each type of game.
  14. brandonpotter

So kinda like what Halo Reach had?
  15. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

Had to briedly research Halo Reach's reward system (never played the game :p ) so I guess yeah, pretty much something like that.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  16. squishypon3

You should play it. ;)
  17. brandonpotter

Halo Reach in my opinion, is one of the best Halo Games out atm for Xbox 360. It has the most offline AND online features.
  18. squishypon3

Meh it's campaign was bleh, multi-player was probably one of the best.

I'm loving The MCC, other than its teeerrible online issues.
  19. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Purity Seals plz.

Battle damage like scratches/scorches (5 or so different textures? Gets more damaged over time unless you turn it off in the armoury?)

1v1 ranked and kickstarter badge somewhere on the commander model.

Something I really want is (more) different projectiles for the different commanders weapons, and those projectiles to come out of other guns than just the commanders arm. These projectiles could be based on either of these, or a combination of the two:
    • Looks of the weapon, e.g. The shoulder "missile launcher pods" should fire.. missiles.
    • Achievements. E.g. you unlock a "laser" Uber Cannon after using the annihilaser for the first time. Really, this would be amazing, and would make your first annihilasering even more special ^^
    These could be purely aesthetic (personally I would rather they weren't), or they could have small differences, like the commanders with lots of missile pods having a faster RoF but the same (or a tiny bit less) DPS.

This stuff doesn't have to be just for ranked games. In fact there could be achievements that get you items from for doing things like winning a Galactic War or winning a game against an absurd AI.
    Zaphys likes this.
  20. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

From memory, I think it's possible for the textures of units to be individually and arbitrarily modified at run-time like the ground is - a dev would have to confirm, but they were looking into doing something like this IIRC (Which would be awesome).