[SUGGESTION] limit number of players on planets

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Antiglow, March 20, 2014.

?

Should we have a players on planet limiter in the system editor?

1. Yes

82.8%
  2. No

17.2%
  1. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

When I started up the new build this was the first issue I ran into.

How can I limit the number of players on a planet?
    I wanted to make a system with a single planet (not able to be landed on) and two moons around it that are able to be landed on, but with only two people per moon (thus being only a 4 player game).

How it is now you can have a unfair game with 3 people on one moon and 1 on the other.

What does everyone think about this?
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Wait it's out?!
    AWW YISS.
    Also, I voted yes, I actually thought this would be a no-brainer, kind of surprised it wasn't added o_O
    Antiglow likes this.
  3. Antiglow

Yeah I was kinda sitting there for a moment thinking I just looked over it trying to find it.
  4. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

I think you should be able to do it either way, so you can surprise your enemy by how you arrange your forces in team games, but also allow people to limit it for custom games/preference.
    corteks likes this.
  5. Antiglow

Yes I agree, maybe at the top of the player limiter selector there should be a "none" or "default" option.
  6. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

I tried to play a 10 player FFA match with 10 moons (one for each player) and 5 people ended up on the same tiny moon as me. :eek:

Luckily I was able to take back MY moon (although the server ended up winning the game) :(
    polaris173 likes this.
  7. tehtrekd

Hmm, now that I actually think about this, it'd be a little bit of a weird thing to implement.

Think about it: 8 players, 2 planets, 4 per planet.
    You want to go on planet 2 because it has the best spawn point, but before you can click "start annihilation" the spawn point disappears because 4 people are now on that planet.
    Really, I can't think of any way to make an addition like this not be awkward.
  8. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

Don't show those spawn points to begin with.

In the example I gave (10 moons, 10 players, each moon limited to 1 player), each player would only see 1 spawn point on 1 moon from the beginning.

If there are 3 planets with 4 max players per planet and 8 players in game, then 4 of the players will be able to choose 2 different planets and the other 4 will only get a spawnpoint on 1 of the 3 planets. If you don't want awkward situations like this, then don't make a system where it won't work out correctly.
    stormingkiwi, tehtrekd and Antiglow like this.
  9. tehtrekd

Hm, yeah that does make sense.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

lol, who voted no?

these are lobby options. what do you care what other people do in their hosts?
    [​IMG]
  11. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

Control over the spawn locations will be a bare minimum for proper tournament play.

It wouldn't be too complex to implement, you need a little spinner control for how many players can start on each planet (next to the starting planet checkbox). I had a system with 4 moons, and wanted one person on each moon. When I started, I got 2 starting point on each of 2 moons which is not ideal.

With that spinner, I'd just specify max 1 player for each of the checked 'starting' moons. This would mean each player would see several starting locations, but they would be on a single moon for each player.
    Last edited: March 21, 2014
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  12. shojobo

shojobo New Member

Personally I think it would be cooler if we could designate starting planets to certain teams or something like that - it would also fix your issue of a certain number of players per planet :)
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  13. Antiglow

That would be good for team games and should be an option. However for players like me who never play team games it would be bad if that was the only way to do things.
    tehtrekd likes this.
  14. vidiotking

vidiotking New Member

how do you create a system where you can spawn on different planets?
  15. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

I voted YES.

But my opinion is that we should have full control on metal spots, spawn points, and who spawns where.
    All that if we want. All in editor.

Manual painting for metal spots, placing spawn points, and restricting player# to predetermined spawn point.

I want be able to make some "scenarios", like for eg. 5 AIs in single team on big continent with lots of metal. then 2-3 player spawn points on another continent.

So pleas giev us moar control!
    Antiglow likes this.
  16. Antiglow

Still no way in the new build to limit number of players on a planet, i'm bummed. I really do want to play multi-planet spawns, but I don't want unbalanced games :/
  17. dreamvoid

dreamvoid New Member

i voted Yes cause im trying to make moons small so players are forced to move to bigger planet, and each player should have 1 moon but argh game starts and every time another player on the moon..

Its a fail option not to have a player limiter..

the whole variation of play styles/games you can make by that way is great
  18. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

Check the "starting planet" box when editing planets in the System Editor.
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i realy would like to have inputs for player limit for each individual planet as well as mexspots and number of spawn locations ...
    LeatherNeck2382 likes this.
  20. LeatherNeck2382

LeatherNeck2382 Member

+1

Nothing says awesome like having an epic map, and everyone is dog piled on one planet...

...except one guy who ends up dominating the game because he started on a different planet and there is no one around to harass him. :confused: