Suggestion - Another possible PA take on megabot

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by zweistein000, October 1, 2013.

1. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

1st let me note that I have just recently started playing PA so I wan't present when this topic was made, but as Neutrino is searching for more unit ideas and I'd like to see this put into the game at some time (in one form or the other).

2nd Let me tell you that I have looked at that topic about the megabot and I have skimmed through it (pls don't expect me to ready a 29 page topic, but I did read enough to get the idea on what was happening). My 2 cents - that bot is too big, I don't want supcom or exact replica of korgoth but I do want big stompy robots that are much better then your everyday T2 units. How better - well that depends on the situation - as I will explain:

I liked commander upgrades in subcom and I liked the ides of experimental units, but the former will not present and the latter has the potential of ruining the game (as it kinda did in supcom). So I came up for the alternative to one and an idea how to fix the other. As someone on the megabot topic said this is a game about giant armies annihilating each other and where stalemates are broken by flinging asteroids at planets rather then building super-units. But there comes a time where an asteroid isn't an option or rather where a platform is needed for various purposes, not just offensive, destructive firepower. This is my idea of a "megabot".

My size - it should be roughly as tall as the shoulders on the template picture, maybe smaller. And it should not be an one man army regardless of how it's configured! Interesting word- configured - why did I use that? Because I believe that these bots should be fully modular. Namely they should be made our of 5 parts: Bottom, torso, 2x Arms, head

The bottom, torso and the legs have 3 different parts based on: offense, defense and utility, all with their advantages and disadvantages.
    The bottom could either be
    - tracks: Adds the most HP to the pool, but slow and cheap
    - tripod: Moderately armored, can stomp enemies but costly
    - Legs: Fast and with jump jets, but adds the least HP to the pool.

Note: In the images just look at the "legs" for reference don't look at entire robots

Torso:
    - Defensive: Cheap, basically a block of armor - lots of HP to the pool, with a 5-10k power generator backpack and 10-25 Metal generation (the only "fabrication" nech to the commadner I'd allow in the game).
    - Offensive: Again costly, low HP addition to the pool, that has a t2 missile turret on one shoulder, a pelter on the other and a T2 laser turret lasers in the torso, with a tactical missile launcher backpack
    - Utility: Somewhat costly but with moderate HP and all kinds of defense: Anti-nuke, AMS for tactical missiles and an anti orbital cannon in the backpack.

Head:
    - Defense: A head which adds little HP, but adds regeneration at the cost of constant metal and energy drain.
    - Offense: Head of supcom colossus - that was awesome - But with huge power drain when it fires
    - Utility: A radar/sonar head with low HP and large LOS

Arms are offensive only and have many different weapons: Hulings Artillery, Uber Cannon, Leveler cannon, torpedoes, missiles, reclaimators etc.

Construction - The time and cost would depend on what it's made of. They should either be made in the bot factory but should possibly have a scaffold of their own. You select the parts you want them to be build then you press the build button to queue then up.

Balancing - Again what it's made off but the most offensive shouldn't be able to stop more then 10-20 T2 tanks but could potentially die to a nuke/hulkings/catapult to 3-5 T2 turrets. The most defensive one probably would struggle taking on 10 tanks but he could withstand them for 2-5 minutes. The full utility shouldn't even fight , it's practically defenseless (Medium - low HP, only arm weapons).

Transportation and movement - They should be all terrain and amphibious (they drive/walk through the water, under the surface). The only way to transport them off world would be with the current landers, but these landers are easy to destroy with orbital fighters.

There I threw that there knowing what last topic caused. Hope this wasn't a mistake.

Attached Files:

iron420, cmdandy and LavaSnake like this.
  2. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Can't get the link right now, but you might have a look at the exosuit thread !
    Pretty old, but still interesting and à gravure link to the Megabot&your thread.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I take issue with this.

Anyways, I've skimmed your post and I think it's a bad idea because of reasons already stated in the Exo-Suit Thread and the countless threads on customizable units.

See what I did there?

Mike
  4. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Upgrades? No thanks.

Reason why? See those big threads.
    Murcanic likes this.