State of the Cursor Fix

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by chocrates, August 1, 2015.

1. chocrates

chocrates New Member

What is the state of the Cursor Fix these days?
    I am getting a white box around my cursor on Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.04).
    I have tried the PAMM Cursor Fix mod, --software-ui, and the manual JS fix in start.js with no luck.
    I also updated Catalyst to 14.6 beta to see if that did anything.

Any ideas?
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

3. SuperTux95

SuperTux95 New Member

I have this white box around cursor issue too and I tried those workaround too, but no luck. I am running Debian Stretch (testing) with Mesa 10.6.3.
  4. djoc

djoc New Member

Same issue on Archlinux 64bit with radeonsi (HD7950).
    I used to play fine with this config (and the cursor fix mod) but since 2-3 months, after an update, I get only a big white opaque cursor, which is very annoying.

here is a screenshot :
    white_cursor_issue.jpg

I tried with and without the "cursor fix mod" and it doesn't change anything.

I also tried "SWCursor" "True" in xorg.conf, but it has no effect
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Did you also try with and without --software-ui? What's your version of Mesa?
  6. djoc

djoc New Member

I found a good workaround. the issue is with cursor.png.
    I edited the cursor.png with gimp, and paint the "transparent square" with black and then save with "save color of transparent pixel" checked and now it works !

attached the modified cursor.png

just copy it to SteamApps/common/Planetary Annihilation/media/ui/main/game/live_game/img/cursors/cursor.png and voila

Attached Files:

ekae, tracert and DeathByDenim like this.
  7. ekae

ekae New Member

thx a lot for this workaround. BTW the PA Titans path is SteamApps/common/Planetary Annihilation Titans/media/ui/main/shared/img/icons
    dom314 likes this.
  8. DeathByDenim

@djoc @ekae : I've poured this fix in mod form, so I can make it available on PAMM. Could both of you test it to see if it works? The advantage of having it in mod form is that you don't need to apply this fix after every patch.

You'll have to unzip the attached .zip in ~/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/client_mods and then use PAMM to enable it.

Attached Files:

9. ekae

ekae New Member

It's work. Could you make a fix for other cursor as well?
  10. DeathByDenim

Oh, they all have it? I didn't realize. Yeah, I can mimic what @djoc did, unless he/she already did that of course.
  11. djoc

djoc New Member

I've done it only for the main cursor, it's the most annoying. other cursors have a white square around, which let you see what is under the cursor, so it's still "playable".

really cool that you can do the fix through a mod, so it's easier to share ;)

from my bug in https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91641, it looks like the xcursor API is not well used by PA, so maybe they can do a fix ? cursor should have pre-multiplied alpha (http://www.gimp.org/docs/plug-in/appendix-alpha.html), which is not the case in the source png. (png are not pre-multiplied, and the proper fix is to do the pre-multiplied alpha when loading the png).

in the mean time the mod will fix this ;)
  12. DeathByDenim

Could you try the PTE? They have fixes for the mouse cursor in there. (Same for you, @ekae ).
    If you don't know what PTE is, see here: http://exodusesports.com/guides/exodus-explains-planetary-annihilation-pte/
  13. ekae

ekae New Member

Yeah, It's all fine now.
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  14. djoc

djoc New Member

DeathByDenim likes this.