Star Wars BattleANTICLIMAX

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, April 17, 2015.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

2. Geers

So from this I assume:

Endor, Hoth and Tatooine/Jakku/Dune/whateverdesertplanetthatis will be in the game.
    Different classes on the Rebel team are/can be different races
    The sound effects will be AMAZING BADASS AWESOME like DICE's Battlefield games. Dat ATAT cannon...
    There is usable equipment by infantry (that shield)
    The engineer/anti-armor class gets a jumpjet
    Speederbikes, AT-ATs, AT-STs, Y-wings, X-wings, TIE fighters and Snowspeeders are in the game.
    Spacefighters appear on non-space maps.
    TIE fighters launch like they're supposed to be dropping from ceiling racks.
    Heroes (or villains) make a welcome reappearance.

Confirmed by the pre-order page:

Uncropped box art:

[​IMG]
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I just hope that the scale is bigger than Battlefield games.
    It doesn't need to be Planetside or anything, but Battlefront 2 (on PC) let you have 128 players in a game. I'm gonna be reeeeaaaaal salty if that isn't the case with this game.

So far, the trailer makes the game look really cool, which is what trailers are supposed to do. I'm optimistic, but also scared. Too many things can go wrong.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

The fact that EA is publishing it means that I am not comfortable pre-ordering.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

128 players is a lot, battlefront 2 lets you do it because.. It's well- An older game. ^^;

Though I'd freakin' love 128 player battles! But I'm more inclined to believe it'll be around whatever the latest Battlefield game has.
  6. killerkiwijuice

There's no reason why there shouldn't be 1000+ battles with today's technology. Battlefield 4 may only be 3 years old but there's been quite a huge increase in networking since then.

I expect above 300 players, personally.
    Last edited: April 17, 2015
  7. tehtrekd

I think Hardline had a 64 player max, but I don't know, it doesn't seem like some sort of ridiculous goal to get 128 players in a single game (especially with the insane amount of funding DICE gets from EA) with today's graphical and online tech.

Especially since they won't have to focus on making a mode with bots because that stopped being a thing in shooters for... some reason.

And again, Planetside 2 exists, and that game had a maximum of 6000 players, if that can happen on PC, I have no doubts DICE can make 128 or hell, even 256 players happen on PS4.
  8. squishypon3

Eeehh.. The biggest game I've seen that isn't an MMO is ARMA 2. I guess it's a possibility they'd have many players but- 1000+? HUGE doubt.. There'd be like 3 main servers too... x3

Plus if the game ever died then you'd never be able to get regular games, as you'd play with like 30 people on a map set for 1000. :L
  9. squishypon3

A-and xbone! Don't forget muh xbone. >:L

Planetside 2 had a max of 6000 players but it also was constantly funding the hosting of the servers due to all the mmo f2p stuff. We'll see.. I just worry that it'll never really work with TOO many players. The game would just die.
  10. tehtrekd

If the game ends up being good, and lots of people like it, it might take a long time to die out. And who knows? Maybe, just maybe, it'll be successful enough to warrant a franchise revival.

...let me dream ;~;
  11. killerkiwijuice

That's highly unlikely within ~ 5 years even if EA screws it up.
  12. squishypon3

The game would likely die if it were thousand plus player servers- Eventually anyway.

Also random thing- Space battles are a confirmed no.

13. squishypon3

14. tehtrekd

tUCp5Rw.jpg
    squishypon3, Geers and websterx01 like this.
  15. Geers

Last edited: April 18, 2015
  16. squishypon3

Yep 40 player max (PC and Console it seems)

“It’s important to make the differentiation between Battlefield and Battlefront here,” Mcleod said. “Sixty four players worked really well for Battlefield, and we toyed with a lot of different numbers, and we found that for the experience that we wanted to give, and how we felt that the matches would play out, 40 players was actually the optimum number. Instead of putting 64 in there and just saying that for a number, and having it be too crowded and being a lesser experience, we’ve made it the most optimum number it can be.”
  17. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

40 players?!! 40 pffffffffff bwa haha!
    They are kidding, right? On a map with AT-ATs and bombers and fighter half a team would take vehicles, there would be 10 infantry units, you'll have to run for minutes until you spot another player and then die in a few seconds... Ratio of infantry to vehicle should be somewhat like from 5:1 for small vehicles like AT-ST to 20:1 for AT-ATs and bombers to make this fun. Also you need at least 5 fighters to make air battles fun. Also take map size into account, for maps like hoth and Endor you'd probably want 64vs64 teams minimum (I'd like 250vs250)...
    tunsel11 likes this.
  18. Geers

Until we know the map design, the vehicle balance, and the infantry balance, it's not sensible to pass judgement.
  19. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

You have a point, I assumed balance would be similar to Battelfront 1 and 2, but then again, maps with fighters and bombers must be pretty big...
  20. Geers

Sure but nobody except asshat snipers are going to go wondering into the mountains.