Sportsmanship: Is "gg" always a polite thing to say?

Discussion in 'Super MNC' started by Raijinken, March 6, 2012.

?

Is "gg" polite if the game was a stomp or otherwise uneven?

1. Yes

72 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. No

105 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. Raijinken

Raijinken Active Member

Had this debate a few times with some friends. If it wasn't a good game, particularly for your opponents, is it still being a good sport to say "gg", which is, as we know, typing slang for "good game"? Particularly in the case of stomps and cases where a team had a leaver/idler and lost presumably because of that.

I personally feel like I'm rubbing my victory in if I say gg when I'm on a stomping team. If it wasn't really a "good game", so much as a "I did well and you lost", it seems more arrogant or habitual than sportsmanlike. When a game went back and forth and didn't have one team dominating the entire time, or if a team makes an excellent comeback, or other such impressive feats, it feels like a good game.

If one team was much better than the other, kudos to them, but that doesn't make it a good game.
    Last edited: March 6, 2012
  2. tabiris

tabiris New Member

I'll go with no, but it's a hell of a lot better than calling HAX or OMG MY TEAM SUXXXXX and the likes from the losing team...
  3. Raijinken

Raijinken Active Member

Certainly agree on that. I'm guilty of griping about better players or things I don't think are fair about a pro (being salty, as the term goes), but I think it's better to either remark on the good plays or say nothing, personally.
  4. vercci

vercci New Member

I think of gg as a title earned by a good match. I've only said it a handful of times.
  5. DragonAsh

DragonAsh New Member

depends.
    do you know if the person is saying good game or get good?

:lol:
  6. shinygerbil

shinygerbil Member

GG is polite.

People who are on the receiving end of a GG after a stomp are automatically in a bad mood and due to this, they transfer sarcastic/hostile/arrogant overtones onto an otherwise perfectly innocent GG.

If I don't give a GG then the opponents weren't worth saying GG about. If I do, then it's meant encouragingly. Generally, if it looks like I might give the wrong impression (after a heavy stomp, say) I won't just leave it at GG as I know that even though I meant it in a good way, people will take it badly. So I usually add something else, even if it's just "sorry about the leavers :<" or whatever.

If I get stomped and everyone leaves without saying anything, that's way less polite. I'd rather be acknowledged.
  7. alblaka

alblaka New Member

Nope.

If somebody states "gg" after a 7minute stomp, he's either retarded or trollign with sarcasm, from my point of view.

I usually only state gg after an actually GOOD GAME. which usually consists of an acceptable length and some non-trivial fights.

However, as well i tend to call out whoever i think was most valuable on the enemy team with a "Wp, xyz". Most often it's someone who actually caused his teams win, while still being somewhere low on the scorebord. Noone usually gratulates the veteran with all the assists while the assault got all the kills by headcrabs :O
  8. freshfuhrer

freshfuhrer New Member

I say gg if it's a 5v5.
    If it turns into a 4v5 or less for either side I say "bg 4v5"
  9. Awpteamoose

Awpteamoose Active Member

gg is like a handshake, unless put into abusive context it never means any impoliteness.

Even if you get your *** kicked, you still share a handshake and part your ways with opponent in a good mood. Nothing bad happened, you just stumbled upon an upponent who is better/worse than you, it's not your or his fault.
  10. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Here's how I see it, assuming a very uneven game:

- It is mildly rude for someone on the winning team to say it first.
    - It is okay for someone on the winning team to say it in response to a "gg" from the losing team.
    - It is gracious for someone on the losing team to say it, either first or in response.
  11. ide5

ide5 New Member

^ This. The people who get offended by a simple after-match gg are going to be ragefaces no matter what you say.
  12. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

You cannot pick up connotations in text. There is no tone, there is no human face, there are no gestures. This is what makes gg be both kindly and venomous to an already unstabled opponent. It is in normal measure for gg to simply be a handshake, though.

For me:

Stomped the enemy into dust (no deaths on you, no kills for them):

Remain silent.
    Do not taunt at the podium.
    If the enemy is complaining, state imba match in consolation.

Won quickly, had some deaths:

Remain silent
    Possibly taunt.
    Can respond to gg if the enemy starts gg's.

Even match:

gg if you want to.
    Can reply to gg's.
    Taunt freely.

Hard as balls match:

State gg.
    Taunt freely.

To me, Good Game is the statement that a game was good. That it was a competitive match with strong tugs from each party, or at least a staunch defense over the course of time by the losing party. It's improper and takes away from the importance of the statement to utter it in every instance for no particulars or restrictions. It is better to remain true to its meaning, but reply in kind if the enemy obliges.

Personally, in this situation,

Team A Wins:

8-3
    5-3
    2-5
    2-4
    1-9

Team B Loses:

20-7
    2-10
    2-21
    0-11
    0-0 AFK

If Team B says gg, Team A can say gg. If team A says gg first or taunts, it can be taken as venomous. This isn't a good game - it lacked the qualities of a proper match. This is a stomp with carry.

I'm of course getting into severe intricacies here. At the end of the day, hit the main menu button and go into the next game.
    Last edited: March 6, 2012
  13. raged

raged New Member

This. It's the most common thing in a game like Starcraft and I don't see why it shouldn't transfer over to SMNC. Most of the time I write it if i lost just because it lets me put an end to a game and usually doesn't leave me as pissed as I'd normally be. It's a psychological thing!^^
    Also I do add a "wp" if it felt like a close game or I got severely outplayed by someone.
  14. wthermans

wthermans New Member

Given that GG has meant "Good Game" for over a decade, I'm going to say that those that think it means "Get Good" are trolling twats.
  15. trixh

trixh New Member

This.
  16. mudamudamuda

mudamudamuda New Member

I almost always say GG. Either side of a stomp, close match, whatever, GG. It's only not deserved if the entire other team are made of jerks who talk **** the whole match.

That said I've noted most people don't like to hear GG from the winning side of a stomp.

This actually reminds me of a tennis match I had in high school. A weird series of events saw me facing a top ranked player in our state during a tournament. I was completely out of my league and not sure if I scored a point the whole match. Anyway we shook hands afterwards, exchanged pleasantries, and parted ways. No rage, no anger, just pure sportsmanship. There is nothing "wrong" or "bad" about being out classed. Take from it what you can and move on.
  17. vercci

vercci New Member

We need something else that doesn't mean good game.
  18. salomdi

salomdi Active Member

no, but i am inclined to say it to someone if they said it to me, regardless of the match outcome.
  19. drjay

drjay New Member

Had this discussion on the chatbox after a game a few times now. I always say gg as a show of respect to both teams and the players who stick about to the end. I'll also make note of the fair/unfair teams and praise people on both teams (probably annoy my team on the mic with 'good shot' or 'nice grab' in my awesome British accent).

I've been saying good game to people ever since the 90's, in particular with games like UT99, Quake 3 and Team Fortress and more recently with more team-based games such as SMNC. I assume people have been taking it in a condescending manner due to past experiences with so-called 'elite' players who think they have the right to talk about people in a derogatory fashion.

It's good that people are getting passionate about this game and online gaming in general, I just hope it's not at the expense of sportsmanship.
  20. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

If you say GG and it you know it wasn't a GG, that's where I find issue. This applies unless it was the losing team, otherwise you're just rubbing it in.