Space Units? Why not?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by robodude22, June 18, 2013.

1. robodude22

robodude22 New Member

:) SUP :)

I recently have heard of Planetary Annihilation chatting with some other RTS buds on a different game. I decided to check it out on youtube a few days ago and WOW! It popped to me! I need to get a better computer and early access all because of this game! Galactic wars and massive battles is my thing!

So yeah, since the Galactic war and different planets have been managed, i'm hoping it wont be so easy as to air, naval, and ground units and just send some rocket to a moon!

That would kind of suck.... :evil:

So why don't we add space units? I mean Galactic has something to do with star ships right? :|

So the units vary such as....
    Constructor - Can repair, and or construct production structures which will produce all of these.
    Fighters - Lightly armed,fast and very expendable
    Corvettes - Smallest type of cruiser, armed and maneuverable
    Frigates - Direct combat ships, not as big as heavy ships but tactically efficient in numbers
    Cruisers - Well sized hunks of armor that can pack a punch when in overtime :twisted:
    Battleships - Heavily armored, can take alot of punishment but slower than cruisers
    Dreadnoughts - Can last individually, extremely dangerous to smaller cruisers and other dreadnoughts, but very slow
    And the moment you've been geeking around for..... :eek: :shock:

SPACE STATIONS! - Heavily defended, NOT MOBILE, able to produce all types of space units, but can be vulnerable when lightly guarded.

But I would advise the developers to do your best to balance this type of starship system. Some classes can be available in separate tech levels or they can be upgraded versions of tech 1. But don't forget to include space defense structures as well just in case you have to send your massive and possibly lagful fleet to lag someone else to death!

Sad thing is it would cost more money.... :cry:

So fans and developers stick together for the final outcome!! ;)

Laterz! :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, try to implement warp capabilities too :]
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

3. sinewav3

sinewav3 Member

You should make a mod to do that!

Edit:
    Personally, I would like a more realistic space layer. It would be all about your Position in orbit, your velocity, and your intel.
    Fighters would be obsolete in space, there is nothing they can do that a larger ship cannot do better. The range of missiles would be in DeltaV not distance, they would be large cumbersome things that could take many minutes to reach their target.

But I don't think PA's engine would let me do the things that I want with space. I do hope that the orbital layer behaves realistically, like T1 Spy satellites would have a fixed flight path in low orbit and you would need the bigger T2 launcher to get them into geostationary orbit.
  4. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

You know, I never thought about space ships in PA before. What a neat idea, wonder why nobody else came up with that.
  5. BulletMagnet

I'm interested in a good ol' realistic space RTS too. But I really don't want PA to be it at all. Personally, I'd be aiming for space only. Nothing on planets at all. But given the number of times people have asked for space combat, it's guaranteed that someone will mod it in in some shape or form.
  6. veta

veta Active Member

I could see the first mods just allowing aircraft to travel between celestial bodies. That would basically be "space combat" right there.
  7. BulletMagnet

Pathing and stuff might be a nightmare.
  8. veta

veta Active Member

Oh true, I was thinking it could work however rockets/asteroids will work. If they have free roaming it would probably be awkward.
  9. KarottenRambo

KarottenRambo Member

If you increase their budget by ~2 million dollars they might even consider it, OP.
  10. peligro

peligro New Member

I like how the ideas I had, someone else posts it before me lol.

But it would REALLY COOL if they added those Drop-Pods from the trailer INTO the Carriers that hover over the planet.

Like the Drop-Pods from Halo 3: ODST. And it would also be cool if you could crash your carrier/spaceship INTO the planet! Like as it is going down or a suicide mission of some sort. Glassing the planet with lasers and bombarding it. And it would also be legit if the 'robots' could abandon the ship and get into drop-ships to evacuate etc.

Endless ideas. Please add them Uber!
  11. insany

insany New Member

I know the devs said no spaceships, but hey they also said the would listen to the community. I would be ultimate awesome if you have space combat.

I have attached some pictures how it could look.

Attached Files:

12. noaveragejoe

noaveragejoe Member

Sounds like you want to layer,

[​IMG]

Over,

[​IMG]

An you know what? i am fully behind that ;)

with the added ability to scuttle ships with low health into planets :twisted:

[​IMG]
  13. dacite

dacite Member

It would be a nightmare to balance(Think air superiority in Supcom X1000000) , require an entirely different approach to co-ordinates and pathing as it is 3-D and would have a jarring disconnect with game-play on the planets. It would also add another layer to an already ambitious and mentally taxing game.

Space RTS games should be done by dedicated space RTS games.

Orbital on the other hand....
  14. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

Endless Ideas, but limited money. Expect mods to add things like this.
  15. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If PA made a 2nd kickstarter to add space combat I would MAKE sure it was successful... I'm still holding out for this stuff in the Orbital Layer though.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I feel like Id prefer if the orbital layer was more based on early 60's technology but with more 4060's technology inside.
  17. robodude22

robodude22 New Member

Hey Guys! :D

I thank everyone for their support on this topic. Like one said, Uber would listen to the community, but it seems they ignore our suggestion on space units. Uber if your seeing this, throw some space-bones at the community! Don't disappoint us :evil:

Everyone stay geek or stay cool! :ugeek: :cool:

Peace! :mrgreen:
  18. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

I advise you to re-read the thread. Take, in particular, note of things such as money, space being an additional air layer with all of its problems, and the idea behind Planetary Annihilation (3D, which means space won't really work anyway).
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

They aren't ignoring anyone, they'll just already stated thier stance on Space Stuff, Check the Links in the Confirmed Features List.

Mike
  20. robodude22

robodude22 New Member

Just adding some epic pictures for effect :p

Attached Files: