Some Final Words on Super Monday Night Combat.

Discussion in 'Super MNC' started by kvalheim, May 10, 2018.

1. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Some time in the last year, I kinda-sorta became a games journalist.

I'm not entirely sure how that happened (the idea was always to be in dev), but I've been leveraging that to write a series of pieces where I am entirely on my bullsh*t. A thing on WoW communities for Polygon, an upcoming Jet Set Radio piece at Videogamer, yadda yadda.

In line with that, this week I wrote, effectively, a love letter for Super Monday Night Combat over at Rock Paper Shotgun.

A lot happened in the four, five years since this game was a vibrant, active community. Changed my name three times, once legally; went to uni, finished uni; became a comfortable, confident person (read: a cocky piece of sh*t). Started to make a name for myself in indie games, even if I'm not making any money.

This piece is maybe more a weird personal-development-thing-whatever than an outright clamour for more MNC, but it's how I wanted to end my time on the game.

SMNC swallowed my late teens, it was great while it lasted. Y'all were cool.

Catch you next season.

Nat.
  2. jables

jables Uber Employee

Just popping in to say that was an awesome article.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Glad so much has happened since then. Can't say I suddenly became successful, I am a romhacker and alcohol enthusiast now, but in a small way, it does feel like life developed from having been here with SMNC and the path leading from it.

P.S.: I'm keeping the signature. :cool:
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    kvalheim likes this.
  4. spd12

spd12 Member

Your article says things much better than I can! I long since moved on, but I still put 300 hours plus some change into SMNC. I'm sad that things turned out the way they did, but I'll be happy I got the opportunity to enjoy the game for as long as I originally did.