Some brainstorming ideas for possible future PA

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by MrTBSC, June 9, 2018.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Agreed, although I'd settle for a team auto balance system for custom games, which is how most of the others spring mods achieve it .. Team games are way more fun when well balanced!
    lulamae and FrequentPilgrim like this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

top of my head aeon tempest comes to mind ..
    so basicaly howizercannonship to bombard coasts but that also launches swarms of torpedoes, maybe with some AA cover? ..
    Last edited: June 23, 2018
  3. river39

river39 Active Member

I like the artiliery part, but don't add aa and torpedoes makes it op
  4. nimzodragonlord

nimzodragonlord Member

So Dissonant and I were discussing the idea of a naval titan a while ago and we came upon an idea. Naval is typically extremely slow, like the Titans already in the game. It would be novel to have the naval Titan be an extremely mobile Titan, generating a temporary personal teleporter to whisk t around the map. This could come at a trade off of range and temporary immobility after the teleportation, but it would be an interesting twist on naval gameplay in PA.
  5. river39

river39 Active Member

So you can teleport next to the enemy commander and snipe him?
  6. MrTBSC

that would be one way at least on a local planet with apropriate chargeup and cooldown, personaly i would have a additional titantransports to get titans to other planets ..

it should have torpedoes at least for self defense
  7. nimzodragonlord

nimzodragonlord Member

Presumably, the enemy comm would be within a base where the Titan cannot teleport.
  8. river39

river39 Active Member

you shoudn't asume that because with that it would restrict to commander to be hidden in the middel of the base. while blocking strategies where you use your commander on the edge of your base to build factories.
  9. nimzodragonlord

nimzodragonlord Member

I don’t think the idea should be dismissed simply on the basis of the possibility of adding a new sniping method. Having a commander carelessly placed is bad play in any situation, and the naval titan would not change that. If your commander is building stuff on the edge of your base, he is just as much at risk of a kestrel or boom snipe or even an advancing army, for that matter.
  10. river39

river39 Active Member

an air snipe you can scout for and build radar to detect the attack. but you can't detect an incoming teleport
  11. nimzodragonlord

nimzodragonlord Member

Scouting is hardly an issue, since you can easily scout the Titan being built which should indicate an incoming teleport once the Titan is done. Frankly, having a radar has never helped me against an air snipe, but what do I know. ;)
  12. manlebtnureinmal

manlebtnureinmal Active Member

While I think I did say that it'd be cool if the naval titan could teleport itself, I think it would only be reasonable if this teleportation was of a limited range.

On the other hand, in an earlier discussion about naval titans, I mentioned that it would be cool if such a naval titan were a "builder" titan.

The Ares is artillery that can hover over both land and water.

The Atlas is a close-range wrecking ball that is amphibious, able to travel in both land and water.

The Zeus is a mobile sniping machine that flies over land and water alike. (sorry if I'm beginning to sound like Icycalm)

This is why a purely naval titan would be awkward; it'd be the only titan that couldn't traverse both types of terrain. I'm also aware of the fact that Stuart98 had a naval titan in one of his balance mods once, but found that it didn't have its own role.

That's why I propose that, if a naval titan ever be added in a mod, that it should be some kind of "builder" titan, perhaps with special drones like a bigger, stronger typhoon. Instead of having a conventional attack, it could rapidly fabricate special defensive structure or units; allowing it to fabricate small hover or air drones would allow it to indirectly traverse land, making it somewhat similar to the existing titans in terms of the ability to act on both forms of terrain.

___

These ideas are not mutually exclusive; it'd be cool if there was a way for the theoretical naval titan to fabricate a stationary clone of itself on either land or sea and self-destruct the original upon completion. This would be the "teleportation" mechanic; it would be limited to the fabrication range, and limited by the fabrication rate.

I don't know if there's a way to have the original disappear though, upon completion of the "teleported" clone. Perhaps alt+fire would work better for this; I'm sure that code from the Legion Investigator could be appropriated towards such a mechanic; unsure of how alt+fire could return the Titan to a mobile naval form though; perhaps it would be stationary even in its original form?

___

If I ever learn how to mod, this theoretical naval titan is one of the things I'd like to try to make.
  13. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

Dual dolphins cannons
    Something like thor from the avengers
    Planet caretakers
  14. acesoyster

acesoyster Active Member

Might I recommend that threads about ideas such as this are probably less useful than a thread about specific ideas. Not only does it keep the conversation coherent, but the nature of forums means the ideas that are most popular get the most visibility, whereas a thread like this can bury a good idea below lots of noise.
    n00n likes this.
  15. MrTBSC

the ideas i put out are rather specific so if you want to disguss them then feel free to do so ..
    it´s not like i put them out there randomly

the thing however is that many of these ideas have been discussed in the past before
    so this is a short summary of what i (and others before) feel should be further done with PA..
    romeoruiz15 likes this.
  16. acesoyster

acesoyster Active Member

It’s assumption like that that weakens the post. There are lots of points you make that I have criticisms of. It is however not feasible to maintain a discussion on a thread that is, due to its wide scope, constantly changing direction.

Furthermore, merely saying that there have been many conversations in the past does not do justice to the debates that were had in those conversations. Articles such as inter-planetary artillery, the reintroduction of deep space radar mechanics, interplanetary titans, and naval teleportation, have all been critiqued heavily in those precious threads, and yet are here presented as common opinion. Assuming those existing threads weren’t adequate already, what opportunity does this thread offer for development of ideas? And even if a topic doesn’t need a further discussion, support for an individual item on your list is equally as invisible. If you are really arguing that this is just a list of discussions had before, do the right thing and provide links to those threads and keep that previous debate visible.

I don’t want to sound as mean as the above does, but it’s very frustrating to see so much conversation between informed people get thrown out.
    Last edited: June 28, 2018
  17. MrTBSC

weither they have been critisized or not does not change that PA is still limited in varius areas that should see improvement to offer variety of play without getting too complex

and seriously what is there to criticise about lack of propper animating firesequences and adding custom sounds to units? that´s a simple fact that it is not possible and i´m pretty sure modders would like to see be changed
    just ask the team behind legion
    Last edited: September 22, 2018
    romeoruiz15 likes this.
  18. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

- Add some wreckage CSG possibilities, than also could be added within map editor then. Moreoever, users could be enabled to reclaim that placed wreckages.
    - Add possibility to map and map editor to place Portals at planets who are already linked, can be used by all players and cannot be destructed. Maybe this would add a new interessting gameplay in early-game without needing to go orbital.
    manlebtnureinmal and grandhomie like this.
  19. river39

river39 Active Member

options for scripting to create specific custom scenarios.
  20. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

You aleady can save a Game in Order to "create' a scenario of couse IT IS a Bit static then but would Work.