Setting up a community dedicated-monster-of-a-server

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cola_colin, October 10, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Thanks for the interest, but it seems not enough people actually donated :(
    Cancelled, refunds will go out very soon.

Hey,

so I am currently working on making dedicated custom servers work out. (see here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-dedicated-servers.65077/)
    With this I'll soon have everything to make a dedicated server that runs unattended, so it can be online 24/7

I was wondering if there is interest in the community to have one really big server that is available around the clock for as-big-as-possible games. Looking around the web the best servers one can find do cost 3 digit prices per month. Once the "perfect" hardware is found it may also be an idea to actually buy a server and put it
    on some colocation service. Dunno. Discuss! I am sure there are people here who have good ideas in this regard.

What we basically need:
    A quad core cpu with as much power per core as possible. I.e. a Core i7 4790K, preferably overclocked.
    32GB RAM, maybe 64GB. Not sure. In the 17 player game played on pastats.com it ended with the 16GB RAM being filled, swapping killed it.
    At least 100mbit/s, better more.

I'd put in 10$ a month for this. If we can find a few dozen people who may do the same we actually could rent one such server. (you don't have to match up my 10$, anything is appreciated)
    Anybody interested?

People that seem interested:
    @cola_colin: 10$
    @Illmaren: 10$
    @zihuatanejo: 10$
    @maxpowerz : 10$
    @reptarking: 20$
    @mayhemster : 10$
    @tatsujb 20$
    @icycalm 20$
    @snierke 10$
    @pizwitch 10$

@cdrkf ???
    Burntcustard: ??
    totalannihilation: ??
    Bsport: ??
    Last edited: November 11, 2014
    maxpowerz, mjshorty, Jaedrik and 11 others like this.
  2. Illmaren

Illmaren Active Member

i´ll put 10$ into this too

but then i want you to give me some space on your pastats server for my ladder because then i´m going to shut down my own server ;D
    zweistein000 likes this.
  3. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

i'd be game
    zweistein000 likes this.
  4. cola_colin

The server will be dedicated to PA. No other applications will be run on it.
  5. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Colin try finding places that do it by hours maybe? Because it might be cheaper doing that then by month.
  6. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

An overclocked 4690k would be the best CPU to have, because they can be clocked higher and the hyper threading of the i7 won't help much, BUT we're unlikely to find anywhere offering those. i5 4670ks are also comparable, and of course the i7 Cola mentioned is good too!

If anyone suggests a 32c/64t server they get a slap. We don't need a big server, we need a FAST one.

EDIT: Just looked into Xeon CPUs a bit more, and if we could get a server with something like the Xeon E3-1280 v3 or Xeon E3-1271, then those would be good too. Not quite as good as an i5 @ 4.5Ghz, but probably a bit more common from server hosting companies.
    Last edited: October 10, 2014
  7. cola_colin

If you can find one that does an overclocked 4690k with 32gb ram sure let's go for that.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Imagine a huge event, with 100 players, to show off how huge PA can be <:
    xankar likes this.
  9. superouman

superouman Post Master General

xankar and cola_colin like this.
  10. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

is there a reason for not using xeons?
  11. Illmaren

Illmaren Active Member

xeons are for web applications not for Game Servers we need an good speed CPU
    cptconundrum likes this.
  12. cola_colin

13. reptarking

14. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

15. reptarking

Making the server i posted specs wise into quarterly it makes 167$ a month but 502$ initial payment.
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Servers with desktop hardware are cheaper. :)
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

squishypon3 and Quitch like this.
  18. cola_colin

None of those are overclocked :p
    Sure an overclocked server is unreasonably expensive. It depends on how many people we can find who are willing to pay a few $. If we can find enough people willing to donate towards it I'd say let's go with whatever is fastest at least for a single month, mostly ignoring the price. Why? Because I like the idea of running a PA server on the best hardware possible ;)
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Let's say fair I don't believe this "overclocking" will make actual difference for 2-3x higher price. At least it's better to wait before we know more about how servers actually works.

For such extremely high price it's will be cheaper if someone can buy hardware and pay for some colocation service.
  20. cola_colin

Ofc not, as I said that idea is not about having the most power for the lowest price. Rather about "if we can find enough people to pay a little we can get more than a reasonable person would, just for the lulz"
    If we can't find enough a 60-80$ dedicated server probably is within the realm of stuff we can get instead.

EDIT:
    Or somewhere in the middle this probably has one of the best per-core cpus available:
    http://www.reliablesite.net/dedicated-servers/quad-core-server/intel-core-i7-4790

really depends on who is willing to donate towards it and what people want to donate for.
    Last edited: October 10, 2014