Reverting Orbits

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by Tomasina, April 4, 2016.

1. Tomasina

Tomasina Member

I am sure this has been asked before, but since I cannot seem to find an answer, I thought I would go ahead and post.

I am trying to create a simple system where two planets are set in a colliding orbit (one clockwise, one counterclockwise). I create and simulate it, and it all looks great. I save the map, and go to play it, and the orbits are both counter-clockwise with no collision.

I edit it, and revert the orbits back to colliding (counter and clockwise) and if I immediately reopen the system editor, the orbits have switched to both being counterclockwise.

Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
  2. ZakTheEvil

ZakTheEvil Member

Yeah, of many bugs that plaques the system designer.
  3. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Its a bug, you arn't doing anything wrong. For whatever reason, the system editor flips all clockwise orbits to counter clockwise.

The hacky solution to this is to note down the x,y pos and velocity of the planet in the editor when you flip the orbital direction.
    [​IMG]
    Save, Close, Export

Open up the .pas file you created and manually input the x,y pos and velocities you noted for the planet you want.
    Code:
    {
      "name": "Korbraak",
      "mass": 35000,
      "position_x": 100,
      "position_y": 29400,
      "velocity_y": -2,
      "velocity_x": 116,

Save

Delete the instance of the system in system editor and import it from the .pas file you just edited. While the system editor will still load it up as flipped, the game engine will properly interpret the orbital direction when you load it up in a game.

Happy smashing

*Just to note, this hacky work around also does other kinds of orbit given the c0rrect x,y values.
    Last edited: April 23, 2016