[REQ] Server Mod Help

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by wondible, November 20, 2014.

1. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Moving discussion from mod ideas before it turns into a long tangent.

Server Mod Help

If I open up a lobby with server mods, It's polite to explain things, but I can see this getting tedious. Provide a framework where each mod just needs to provide the content. The framework could be a separate server mod, or a framework that each mod includes (I like the latter option less because of versioning issues)

Actually bringing it up in the lobby could be challenging, unless you manually ask people to refresh. In-game would be a balancing act between being discoverable, and not getting in the way.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  2. wondible

Could actually be on to something there. It could be provided by a client mod used by the mod host, so it would be loaded in the lobby. It could announce itself via chat to each person who joined. Not a lot of room for elaboration, but it would be good for high-level overviews.
  3. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

if only I had the time to do this myself, sounds like it might be a fun mod.

dam university...
  4. wondible

I have a file-loading proof of concept for using identifier/server_mod_help.json to look up information. Planned format for the chat app is

Code:
    {
      "topics": {
        "test": "it works"
      }
    }

5. wondible

Putting in WIP for now so people who might want to provide help have a chance for feedback. Tomorrow I'll see about updating my server mods on github with provisional topics as examples.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-server-mod-help-chat.66822/

I expect to look into at least one more mod, which add articles to the player guide.
  6. wondible