[REQ] Infinite War mode

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by ClaverFlav, July 25, 2014.

?

Would you play this??

1. Yes

88.2%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe if better defined

23.5%
  4. Maybe if not Endless

5.9%
  5. Maybe if coop comp stomping

17.6%
  6. No because of other reasons.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ClaverFlav

ClaverFlav New Member

I have always wanted a (near) endless battle on a planet... now just hear me out.

Stages---------------------------------

Stage1----
    You spawn on a planet that is empty of resistance... for 5 mins.

Stage2-----
    after the 'grace period' enemy AI commanders start to spawn in randomly on the planets surface. the interval between spawns could be something between 5mins to 20 mins. (Dependent on some difficulty setting.)

Stage3----
    Ramp up. The interval between commander spawns starts to shrink.

Stage 4-----
    Your Inevitable destruction.

--Options---------------------------------

1. Starting Spawn Interval

2. Spawn interval reduction per spawn

3. Max number of Ai Commanders active at one time

4. Whether or not all AI commanders are spawned on the same team or random for giant free for all.

5. Increasing Ai commander difficulty

--Caveats---------------------------------

1. Obviously the game cant keep going as that would be hell for the server, so the ramp up must get insurmountable

2. Enemy commander spawning should definetly do it that cool way were they fall in and that shockwave destroys everything at the impact point. Might be cool if a serious of vehicles are dropped in also to assist. This raining death with a commander in tow would be disastrous enough to possible thwart any impenetrable defenses

3. The ramp up spawn rate should be faster than players can build a nuke. Not sure how to detect this if its being assisted but it seems like a necessary equation for the game mode.

--Goals:---------------------------------
    See how long you can survive, maybe have a number of commanders killed or Rounds completed (maybe they could be spawned in rounds instead)

Is this unachievable?
    Thoughts??
  2. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

This sounds really fun and I'd love to play it! Although I am not sure how possible it is until we get more control since you'll need to spawn AIs on demand.
  3. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

voted yes. I think there should be some sort of endless galactic game if you wanted. Yes you just can just simply have skirmishes against AI but least the galactic war gives you purpose and a reason to fight though.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Maybe you wouldn't need to spawn AIs? I'm not sure off hand but if Sorian's PA AI is anything like his FA AI Mod it might be able to handle just being "given" new commanders every now and then.

I guess a possible downside is that it would be essentially a shared economy.....but would that really be a downside? If the AI started at the same time as a human player would and the timing worked out that you likely wouldn't be able to kill the first Comm off before a second one showed up it could snowball in just the right fashion to make it work.

Mike
  5. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

the problem is that the only way to spawn commanders or anything for that matter is through a key combo and it spawns at the mouse...
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

True, but I'd wager that is a much simpler problem to fix then trying to spawn AI's at one's whim, which would still require the spawning of a Commander anyways! ;p

Mike
  7. ClaverFlav

ClaverFlav New Member

k cool.

i remember trying to spawn new commanders for the ai in Forged Alliance... but lua destroyed my mind. could never make them start building a new base like they normally would start up, something to deal with buildplans i think. the ai just treated the new commanders as lowly fabbers. :(

anyways i was worried that in PA that once the ai commander was killed it would just blowup all the remaining units of that team (as i love so much to watch) and then garbage collect the ai entirely.

also whatever happened to the drop in spawn of commanders?? i LOVED that.

but i guess one of the reasons i wanted this mode is so players can build up a good economy and then just try and keep it up aslong as possible with out having to start over. Not that Building the economy up is that annoying, just thought it would be fun to keep fighting over and over.

sooooo if you guys say its possible to spawn a commander at mouse point and via some buttons, couldnt that be made into a simple mod as a test of this concept?? but will the ai really use it to its full advantage?
  8. wondible

wondible Post Master General

You could rig it up with Puppetmaster and a friend doing it manually. You'd need a multi-planet spawn, and perhaps a few attempts to get the "real" AI commander to spawn someplace safe, although keeping him from hopping in an astraeus might be tricky. Maybe throw in a server mod that removes the astraeus and teleporter?
  9. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

The way I would do it is have your AI starting commander be an invisible modeless building with a billion health. That way you get over the issues of the AI acting from the start. It also solves the issue that only the original commanders count towards the game ending.
  10. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Ah, yes. Forgot about unit modding. You could probably borrow most of it from the Bonus/Malus in Murder Party.
  11. ClaverFlav

ClaverFlav New Member

Bump....

i still really wanna see this added to the game, especially since there is local hosting save and loading added now. (i would exclude the replay saving from this mode tho, since this could go FOREVER)

or maybe they could just add the option to spawn AI stuff via the "sandbox" mode similar to SupremeCommander.

please uber.... hear my prayers