[REL] Transparent Strategic Icons V4.1 (Galactic War)

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by moldez, January 4, 2014.

1. moldez

moldez Active Member

updated to GAMMA thx @proeleert

this is the "size matters" update :p

- rescaled all icons and made them MUCH smaller !
    .. u will get used to it .. orbital play is alot easier now I think

- all T2 defences got a touch up ..
    - many changes to existing uniticons

have fun,

Moldez
    Quitch, LavaSnake and tatsujb like this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

this is why the whole 'supcom icon' is a thing. PA's icon are of a retarded size it's no wonder there's a line of code hidden somewhere to scale them down 2x2 and even then they still occupy way too much screen space. well done moldez
    moldez likes this.
  3. moldez

moldez Active Member

now I only need such a nice banner like yours :p

.. keep it up I like your mod cause I loved the supcom icons
  4. moldez

moldez Active Member

if anyone is playing my mod,

.. I would be happy to see a screenshot of a game with more than 4 people on a big planet.. mainly because my rig can´t handle those games

cheers,
    Moldez

Edit: or if someone is streaming .. give me a call
    Last edited: March 3, 2014
  5. tatsujb

you want me to make you one just ask.

send me some screenshots (you know what I mean there's just those times where the resize bug is nice and cuts you slack, all of my screens on my thread were taken at times like these)
  6. moldez

moldez Active Member

.. I know .. I have a feeling that those "stars and stripes" only show up on some biomes .. and sometimes I´ve got games were there is no bug at all ..

as they say .. it´s BETA .. aehm I mean GAMMA .. whatever .. it´s early access

.. wouldn´t be suprised if the whole straticons thing is subject to change in the future and all our work is f***ed

cheers, Moldez

PS: maybe I will do that THX
  7. tatsujb

NP, and it really has nothing to do with the biomes it's 100% due to the resizing it's just that at some random moments it is happy to work correctly.
  8. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Can you make a version with dual-color icons, please? I would love to see that. I'm guessing it's just one or two lines of code to change. I might be completely wrong. I would actually use a mod for once if you did that.
  9. tatsujb

10. stonewood1612

I knew you would laugh at that.

I thought It was just something like: for all your icons, use player_color_1 and fblablba (=white). Change white to player_color_2.

I guess it would never be that simple. Over 2 years I'm going to game dev college and learn code. Then we'll see if I can make it "just a few lines".

Edit: Oh, I'm patient. I'm one of the guys who waited 12 years for StarCraft 2 anyways. I've also been waiting for two months on updates for minecraft mods... I had to add a few lines once to make it run without crashing, I'm still so proud of myself to fix a bug on my own for once. :)Everything has a beginning. After I have made a few games, I'll go to mars and eat a mars there. PATIENCE.:p
    Last edited: March 3, 2014
  11. xedi

xedi Active Member

tatsu, stonewood is not wrong, with the shader code I sent you, it is one line of code to change... although you do have to change the icons also
    stonewood1612 likes this.
  12. tatsujb

that's the funny part. it's fairly obvious if you look at the pngs that they'll need more drawn on top to harbor secondary color aswell
  13. moldez

moldez Active Member

I´d like to try .. but only if we get the chance to choose the secondary colour again ..
    stonewood1612 likes this.
  14. stonewood1612

That's the stupid part of Uber's icons. If both the rims and the actual icon were set to be variable colors, than this would be possible by indeed changing one variable. But it's not. The white rim is something permanent in the art, so you would need to update all icons, that could take quite some work.
  15. moldez

moldez Active Member

.. well .. if u used my mod you should know that I´m used to that kind of work :p
  16. moldez

moldez Active Member

any feedback on the new icon size ?

to small to big just right ? .. how is orbital?

cheers
  17. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I'm undecided. I sort of like smaller icons, but at the same time I feel it makes the contrasts harder to make out. It also means units stick out from under their icons sometimes, which will look especially weird when Uber have units disappear when you zoom out to the "display strategic icon" range.

I understand the border cannot be adjusted without manually editing the file, yes? Which is unfortunate because a white border around the white units is not creating the desired effect for that colour :)
  18. Quitch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The issue with small icons is apparent in image 4. Can you, without peering or leaning in, tell what the hell turrets are in that base? Because I can't. The mod needs less moon testing and more earth testing.

Colours like red, purple and black continue to be this mod at its best. Colours like white and yellow are not.

I continue to like your icon designs though, especially with aircraft where it's a vast improvement over vanilla.
    Last edited: March 5, 2014
    moldez likes this.
  19. Quitch

Here are some candidates for the OP. I wish I knew how to do an imgur gallery here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    moldez likes this.
  20. tatsujb

@Quitch I don't find that bothersome at all, never before was the icon covering the unit entirely a prerequisite I donn't see why it should be the case now, especially as the icon for orbital launcher never covered it.