[REL] Performance Booster V2! [55493] {OUT OF DATE}

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by maxpowerz, October 24, 2013.

1. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

This mod is severely out of date and will only break the game.

Performance Booster V2!! (Windows Only,, I'm currently working on a Mac revision)

(Tested and works on PA Beta v.55493)
    This mod will remove some Post Processing Effect shaders and some Pre-lighting shaders.

The in game graphics will be the same, and frame rates will increase (aprox. 9 - 25 FPS, depending on GFX card).
    (You wont be able to use HDR and Anti-Aliasing)
    This is because the GPU is no longer processing these effects.
    And when there is less or no strain on the GPU it allows it to do other things, like instance more models, emit more particles, animate scene's, deform meshes, and render explosions :)

---Important Notes!---

If you use these shaders you will need to have HDR, and Anti-Aliasing "FXAA" off in the game settings or you will get a black screen.

Tree and rocks will be invisible in the system editor when you generate a planet "you will see their shadows but no rocks or trees"
    Trees and rocks will render normally in the game when you play!!

---How To Install---
    To use my performance boosting "Empty" shaders,

Download and Unpack Shadersv2.zip (file is attached to this post)

Copy the unpacked files into this directory and replace the originals,
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Planetary Annihilation\PA\media\shaders"

or if your using the steam copy then replace the files here
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Planetary Annihilation\PA\media\shaders"

ENJOY

To restore the original shaders just click Verify files in Uber's launcher , or Verify game files in Steams launcher.

----ADDED----

List of Disabled shaders.

Anti-Aliasing "FXAA"
    High Dynamic Range
    Luminance
    Downsampling (Ordered Grid SuperSampling)
    Horizontal and Vertical Blurring
    Radial Bloom
    Batch Prelighting
    Virtual Vizmap Prelighting

--- Want even Higher FPS??---

Also try this mod!!
    This mod fixes some UI bottle necking and helps improve framerates!

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-slowbars-54357.50349/#post-772764

Using both this "Performance Booster Mod" + the "Slowbars Mod" will = Better Framerates :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: January 14, 2015
    ngersdorff and cwarner7264 like this.
  2. maxpowerz

Screenshots of my game with these empty shaders "Performance Boost Mod" on an INTEL HD 4000 chipset, on a Tablet PC (Acer Iconia w700)

playing @ 1366x768 now :) look at my framerates!!
    Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

Untitled5.jpg

Untitled6.jpg

Untitled7.jpg

Untitled8.jpg

Untitled9.jpg
  3. maxpowerz

Untitled10.jpg

Untitled11.jpg

Untitled12.jpg

Untitled13.jpg

Untitled14.jpg

Untitled15.jpg

Untitled16.jpg

I tried to load up as much stuff on the screen as i could to see how stable the frame rate was.
    My lowest frame rate @ 1366x768 was 15fps ,, My average was 36 FPS wich is clearly a 15 FPS improvement over my previous average of 21 FPS at this resolution :)
  4. vayatae

vayatae New Member

Your mod sounds great and I tried using it on my Mac but after I replaced the files my PA wouldn't launch and just crashed every time. Would you know of a way to get this work on a mac?
  5. maxpowerz

Oh wow i wasn't expecting that kind of an effect on mac's i made these for windows, sorry i haven't taken mac's into consideration yet, i will try make a mac version for you now.
    Last edited: October 27, 2013
  6. maxpowerz

I may need your help i'm just researching info on where to find PA-00-00-00.000.txt file on a mac :)
    if you know where the log file is already can you post 2 copys.
    delete all the log files then verify game files
    run the game one time with ubers shaders running
    then one time with my shaders running.
    post and upload both log file here, it will help me work out which shader i need to put back :)
  7. maxpowerz

ok maybe this might be easy way to get log file on mac

1. Open directory where game installed
    2. Go into "media" directory
    3. Create "user" sub-directory here and open it.
    4. Now create "log" subdirectory and open it.
    5. In result you should have this file structure:
      /media/user/log
    6. Now run game 1 time with uber shaders
    7. Then run game 1 time with my shaders
    8. Check "log" directory, there should appear 2 files named like "PA-22-28-44.000.txt"
    9. Upload those as attachments for me please :)
  8. maxpowerz

Please verify your game files and then try these. you will need to verify files first to put ubers original shaders back in, then try copying over this revision of the shaders. (Attached "Shaders Mac.zip")
    Also let me know if the game works :)

I will download the game on my mac later today or soon as i can to check and see what i can do, or to see if i have the same issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: October 27, 2013
  9. gregorybl

gregorybl New Member

About to try out these shaders. The game at least loaded, so that's a good sign.

For anyone else interested you go into the PA package and put them in /Contents/Resources/shaders/. Maybe make a copy of the old shaders folder first in case you want to go back without redownloading.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  10. maxpowerz

Are you using the shaders packed in the "shadersv2.zip" or the "shaders mac.zip"
  11. gregorybl

gregorybl New Member

shaders mac.zip

I didn't have any issues, but performance wasn't day and night either. I'll have to do a direct comparison but I don't have time tonight.
  12. maxpowerz

Awesome cheers.
    When you do your test can you do a test at your current resolution (one with ubers shaders, one with mine)
    then do the same 2 tests at 1280x720 desktop res too please, i notice more of a difference between the 2 sets of shaders at lower resolutions, on my acer at 1920x1080 with ubers shaders i get 12fps, with my shaders i get 13.6 which is barely noticeable, at 1366x768 with ubers shaders i get 21fps and with my shaders i get 36 fps so its easier to see difference at lower resolution.

Thank-you very much for doing mac testing for me too, i appreciate all the testing i can get as the more it gets tested the more i can improve it to suit as many systems as i can.
  13. tigerstar

tigerstar New Member

Where do i place the files? Theres no C:\Program Files (x86)\Planetary Annihilation\PA\media\shaders
    I downloaded from uberentertainment.com
  14. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

This post is from 2013. Severly doubt it still works.
  15. Deletive

Deletive Member

Do you have to have supersampling off in order to use this mod?
  16. maxpowerz

This mod is severely out of date and will only break the game.

I'm waiting for the dev's to get closer to a finished and more final version of the shaders and graphics engine/stack before i attempt to revise this mod.

It is a useful mod but it's the kind of mod that break's every time a graphics engine tweak is made so it needs more maintenance than what i currently have time for :(

EDIT...

When Uber do get closer to a finished and more polished graphics engine i will do my best to remove any beautification in the game and aim for a very basic set of shaders with no fancy effects.

I'm also looking at making a mod that stops units being rendered so all you see is commander and buildings and the mod will render icons for units instead of 3d models to lower poly count in massive battles even when your zoomed in.
    This will be great for when battling with 10+ players and on-screen unit count is crazy.
    Last edited: January 14, 2015
    Clopse likes this.