[REL] Pixel strategic icons! (SupCom style icons) [v68331]

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by xedi, July 6, 2013.

1. xedi

xedi Active Member

[​IMG]

AVAILABLE ON PAMM

[​IMG]

Download link at bottom.

I've created a set of icons in the style of the Supreme Commander icons:

[​IMG]

I've taken a few liberties that I believe enhance the readability of the icons, possibly at the cost of confusing a few of the old SupCom players. I've tried hard to keep the icons with a consistent look and feel though.

Find the download attached at the end of the post (disclaimer: I had to use 7zip instead of just zip, as zip produced a file size of nearly 2MB, which wasn't allowed on the forum; I had to put the .7z inside a .zip file to be able to upload). Otherwise, you can use PAMM.

To install, extract in your mods folder, as per here.

It includes icons for all units and structures currently in the game (and also some on top for upcoming units).

Make sure to enable "selection icons" in the settings, as it allows icons to be highlighted when selected.

Please leave a message if anything isn't right — unit with the wrong icon, missing icon, etc.

Here are a few other preview shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. xedi

xedi Active Member

Re: [REL, WIP] Pixel strategic icons, with colours!

Updated the first post, now with download available.

Here's what it currently looks like. Icons are blurred out because of resizing, this should be fixed by Uber eventually.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Re: [REL, WIP] Pixel strategic icons, with colours!

:cry: really sad build 50742 didn't fix icon size.
  4. xedi

xedi Active Member

OK, I've just put up a new set of icons. There should be icons for just about everything right now, including e.g. the ion defense structure that shoots down satellites.

There are a few bits and bobs I'm not sure about. It seems that the "blip" strategic icon is a bit bugged... my understanding is that the first name in the icon_atlas.js file serves as a default in case no icon is found... and by putting blip first, it makes the radar icons appear as blips. But it's a bit of a hack, and prevents me from using some other icon as a default.

Still waiting for a fix on strategic icons being resized... at the moment the icons are slightly blurry because of that.
    Last edited: September 26, 2013
  5. xedi

xedi Active Member

Updated, to take into account all the latest units. I haven't checked that every single unit has the right icon, so please tell me if you find any problems.

Edit: I have now checked all units currently in the game. All should have the correct icon. Please inform me if this isn't the case.
    Last edited: January 18, 2014
  6. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Nice do you want me to add it to pamm ?
  7. xedi

xedi Active Member

Sure, although it's not hugely usable until Uber fix the icons.
  8. xedi

xedi Active Member

Updated to fix the land mine icon.
  9. xedi

xedi Active Member

Updated for v61694. I've also included code that highlights icons upon selection. It's a bit of a temporary thing, but it looks reasonable enough at the moment. Make sure to enable "selection icons" in the UI settings.
  10. xedi

xedi Active Member

Works for γ (v62037) without change.
  11. xedi

xedi Active Member

Updated for the Galactic War update! Very good news: the icons are now crisp and look great!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    moldez likes this.
  12. moldez

moldez Active Member

they look cool !
  13. tatsujb

I'm sold.

completely and utterly sold.

HOW?
    How did you get pixel perfection in?

how did you do it?

plus your border selection light-up effect is near perfect

and the readability of it all is amazing

the way the mex icon ALWAYS stacks on top of the mass point icon

the way the blips are always on top of THAT.

Wow. really really good job.

I'm going to be using your rather than my own.
    xedi likes this.
  14. tatsujb

small gripe though, top part of build bar becomes unclickable at times and some elements are literally missing from the build menu. like the orbital engineer.
  15. xedi

xedi Active Member

Mostly it all "just works"™ thanks to Uber fixing the icon resizing. Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like it.

There does still seem to be a few glitches every now and then, and I'm quite uncertain as to what causes them. For instance I've noticed that in some situations, some icons seem to fail to display, even though most of the time they do display. My only guess is that PA doesn't like it when there are too many different icons listed in the atlas file, and sometimes stops being able to draw icons because of it. It's quite strange, because in most games every single icon displays without issues, so I'm left perplexed.

The issues you mention however are not related to my mod; my mod only affects the strategic icons and nothing to do with the build bar etc.
  16. tatsujb

hmm. I dunno what it is then. Have you noticed that sometimes the pixel perfection goes away?

And when did this fix happen? i notice that the icons aren't always pixel perfect.
    welp thanks a bunch in anycase.

I do hope Uber keeps working in that direction I feel the icons don't have exact 1/1 resolution yet.
    Last edited: June 11, 2014
    ozonexo3 likes this.
  17. xedi

xedi Active Member

Can you post a screenshot of the issues? I don't know what you're talking about.

(The fix happened with the Galactic War update, I believe.)
  18. tatsujb

i can do better.

and here in this picture with the pixels broken down by photoshop you can see the pixels aren't 1/1 :
    56.jpg
  19. xedi

xedi Active Member

Lossless quality screenshots would have been better, here it's hard to tell with the video and JPEG artifacts!

I don't know what's causing the problems on your end. Can the icons still be resized in game? I forgot the keyboard shortcut to change icon sizes. If so, please make sure the icon size is put back at normal, there should not be any problems with the icons not looking crisp.

As for the icon jittering in the video, there's not much I can do about it. Icons are fixed to lie in the pixel grid of the screen, whereas unit position is a priori continuous, so a unit that falls exactly in between pixel coordinates might end up jittering like that due to rounding errors.
  20. tatsujb

forum doesn't allow pngs because of size i could try to find the bug again and record with lagrithm lossless codec.

zooming in kinda shows what's going on. could you show me what you get with a PNG when zooming in photoshop?