Use the In-Game Community Mods - Original PA Mod Manager (PAMM) is Obsolete

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Raevn, August 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Active Member

So i am thinking about writing a mod manager which would be compatible with this one. But in python so it would more easily work on windows mac and linux.

Because really... why write it a weird conglomeration of html javascript VBScript and css that only runs on windows. :p

Also if i were staring off on this project new i would use json for the mod config definition file.

I have my pa folder on my D: drive my windows install is on my ssd and i dont put games on it normally. So its not exactly safe to assume that.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

There's a linux/mac port here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...ger-for-linux-and-mac-os-x-version-1-8.50958/

I did it in HTA format for a number of reasons. Chiefly, I know it well and the community needed something to allow mods to be enabled and installed without manually editing a js file. Secondly, for Windows users, it would not need any runtime or additional software installed, and would work out of the box.

It's certainly not perfect but it gets the job done. It'll also probably need a re-write anyway once the various modding systems come online, so I wouldn't recommend starting anything now. There's also the possibility of an official one being created in any case.
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

But this has given me an idea.
  4. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Active Member

It is easy to distribute python programs as standalone version, where they dont need any runtimes also.
    Raevn likes this.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Sure, but people like you who put it somewhere else usually know where they put it. Others, who are not as tech savy usually use the default folder and exactly for those people an automatic detection is super helpful.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  6. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Active Member

good point
  7. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Active Member

So about the rModsList variable used by your rModsList mod. Its a bit annoying that the keys/properties aren't in single quotes.

Currently I'm feeding what the variable is being set to into Python's json parser, and it doesn't like not having quotes those. Would be nice if ui_mod_list.js was json instead of javascript :)

I could work around this but it would be more work than writing this post, plus changing it wont effect any javascript that happens to use the variable. It might could effect DeathByDebim's version of your mod manager however.
    So any chance it can contain single quotes in the future?

I'm not planning on doing a direct port of your code btw, that's no fun. :p
    Last edited: December 7, 2013
  8. greysuit

greysuit New Member

I just installed the mod manager yesterday and it broke my prior install of PA stats; There is no trace of PA stats functionality in or out of game. In the mod manager it says that PA stats is installed, but I checked ui_mod_list.js and the line for PA stats was gone. I tried putting it back, but to no avail. I restarted, refreshed, and reinstalled mod manager, also to no avail. Since PA stats is listed as already installed, I cant try to reinstall it via the mod manager. I tried removing pa_stats_pamm_online.ini and that also made no difference.

Any ideas?
  9. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It won't affect my version of the mod manager. ui_mod_list.js is only an output file as far as the mod manager is concerned. Well, ok, some stuff in the comments are read to determine if the mod is enabled or not.
    And the rModsList seems to work whether there are quotes or not, so no trouble there either.
    Last edited: December 7, 2013
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

First of, if you put this line in as a global mod:
    "http://www.nanodesu.info/stuff/pa/mods/live/pastats/pa_stats_loader.js"
    PA Stats should be installed and as long as you dont start the manager it will stay.

I am not sure what problem your mod manager has. Is there any folder of pa stats in your mods directory?
    Delete them alL, so the manager should not find anything.
    You could also try to delete the whole content of the mods directory. (maybe backup it first)
    cptconundrum likes this.
  11. greysuit

greysuit New Member

Sweet, I wiped the mod directory and that totally solved the problem. Thanks :)
  12. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

@greysuit - did you enable the mod after installing it (by checking the checkbox)?
  13. greysuit

greysuit New Member

I couldn't do that because it didn't show up in the list of installed mods. But in the list of available mods it was declared as being installed.
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

v2.0.1 released, just a minor change (@dfanz0r - the rModsList variable contents are now quoted) and a bugfix for sort by download count. You should be prompted to update next time you launch PAMM.
    Quitch likes this.
  15. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Active Member

Perfect, thank you
  16. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

I'm only getting about 60% of the contents of the window. The rest is being cut off. Kinda weird. I even tried to re-install the PAMM_v2.0.0.exe a few times, and I always get the same thing. I can use the side bar to scroll to the bottom, but it won't show the contents of the bottom half of the screen. Previous versions worked fine for me.

upload_2013-12-8_4-21-11.png
  17. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

That's ... interesting. I didn't modify the UI in the update, so I'm not sure what caused this. Try uninstalling and downloading v2.0.1 directly (see OP for link).
  18. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

@raevn..
    Awesome work mate *2 thumbs up*
    Both ModManager and the ingame Mod list work fine :) cheers.

Thanks again for making mod installations a breeze

awesome.jpg
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Now that we can install through PAMM, can we also uninstall through it, please?
  20. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

That's much more tricky, the least of which is that mods don't track every file they install. I suppose I could make it assume that it's all in the one folder (specified by the folder parameter in the mod ini file). That could be dangerous though.

Is there an issue with simply disabling a mod though and leaving it installed?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.