[REL] PA Chat

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by cola_colin, January 29, 2015.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Exactly. Finding out how all of the stuff works on your own if probably close to 75% of the motivation for modding. :)
    Remy561, xankar, svenbrnn and 4 others like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Its javascript, and it's pretty dang easy to learn how to do things in PA, promise. =)
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Well if you're pretty new to js and that kind of modding, it's a pretty daunting task.

Right now I have an idea of what to do with JS if I wanted to do something complicated, but a few weeks ago I had no idea how these things (PA Chat and other mods) were made.
  4. squishypon3

I hadn't ever done anything in JS and immediately picked up on it, most of the stuff seems decently self explanatory. =P
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

REL
    see updated OP with updated infos on functions.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Chat should be moved further to the left. Its user view overlaps the video view, and the scroll wheel controls both at the same time.
  7. cola_colin

since the chat is part of the uberbar and the videos are part of the main menu it is kinda hard to get it right though. I will add some more options to place it, for a start I think a way to anchor it on the right. But no matter what it will always hide something.

The scrollwheel stuff is weird indeed, I will have a look at it, though I wont put hours into it. Doesn't really hurt anyone.
    Quitch and proeleert like this.
  8. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Great work, I'm going to encourage everyone I play against to get this, if it catches on I reckon it could really improve the PA community and get more players active in modding/tournaments.

Go forth and publicise all ye forumites!
    proeleert likes this.
  9. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

But but?! They are impossible to moderate! IMPOSSIBLE THEY TOLD US?! HOW DO WE DEAL WITH THE SPAMMERS AND TROLLS?!
  10. squishypon3

Well to be fair we are missing the large majority of players.
  11. Quitch

Actually they never said anything on the matter.
  12. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

I couldnt remember if anything was said on the matter by uber so i didnt state them in my reply. But i do remember having the feeling that they were hinting at this though.
  13. Quitch

Did they even comment on it? I only recall the community discussing it.
  14. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

PAStats was already the best mod for PA now it even got better.
    This will make handling tournaments a lot easier for me.

[​IMG]

Can now update brackets based on attendance of the players in chat. Which means less mistakes and less hassle on starting a tournament.
    Got some more plans to make the whole tournament flow easier and fun for both players and directors.
    Clopse, guest1, Remy561 and 2 others like this.
  15. squishypon3

Oh definitely, neutrino made a lot of posts against global chat. I remember Cola telling him that it'd be the end of the game if it didn't have global chat, and neutrino telling him to stop the end of the world act and be positive.

It got pretty serious ^^;
  16. cola_colin

that was about ranked games. And in hindsight neutrino was right about what he said there.
    cdrkf and Quitch like this.
  17. Quitch

It's because of posts like this (and not singling squishy out, just using this as an example) that we should stop "remembering" what Uber said, and start using quotes or links to videos with time codes.
    jorgenpt, proeleert and stuart98 like this.
  18. squishypon3

I'm almost certain Neutrino said something.

Now I wasn't trying to say Neutrino was wrong, because he did have a point.

Personally I have no bias either way, one moment let me go look through Neutrino's posting history.
  19. squishypon3

@cola_colin @Quitch

Cola_Colin-
    "Not having a chat and not having a ladder at 1.0 is basically stabbing PA to death. :("

Neutrino-
    "Can we please quit it with the hyperbole? Comparing us to SupCom2? Really? You think SupCom2 failed because it lacked global chat? I bet other people here can come up with a few more reasons...

I'm personally not a fan of global chat at all. Internally we've discussed it on multiple occasions and I think most of us agree at this point that it's a horrible idea for the game. I think it has much a larger chance of damaging any community than it does of actually creating a good community. It's unlikely my opinion of this is going to change and the idea that our "game will fail" without this pet feature is getting more and more ridiculous every time I hear it."
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General