[REL] Did You Know?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by trialq, March 31, 2014.

1. trialq

trialq Post Master General

didyouknowscreen.jpg
    A mod which gives short advice, definitions and tips on the main menu. Clicking 'Did you know?' loads the next tip.

The mod is a WIP. Currently it has:
    • All (except duplicates) of the definitions from this thread: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/terminology-glossary.58263/
    • Over 20 facts like 'fabbers can assist factories', 'Stingers have better stats than Spinners, and they're cheaper'
    • Over 60 tips like 'Gil-E squads can be very effective with the proper micro-management', 'Multiple commands can be queued by holding shift'

What's a fact and what's a tip can be a grey area, and there's spelling and grammer mistakes galore. It's WIP but usable at this stage, one of the main things is getting more data to cycle through. The actual UI is pretty basic. I want to add things like short mod descriptions over time, probably not taking the definitions from PAMM but rather writing something more like a recommendation.

I'm taking submissions for more data. The tips are by no means thorough, if you have any that will probably stay in near-future-patches then please post them. You could prattle on endlessly about countless nuances of the current patch, but perhaps it's better for my sanity to stick to things that have a chance of persisting.

If you have a new definition, please post it in the definition thread linked above.

didyouknowscreen2.jpg didyouknowscreen3.jpg didyouknowscreen4.jpg
    Last edited: March 31, 2014
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Seems to be confusing PAStatus 1v1 button placement. I'd post a screenshot, but it's not uploading for some reason.
  3. trialq

Fixed in 0.1.1. Re-using an id can be bad, which should have been obvious :p
  4. trialq

Figured as I haven't given you a way to view all tips at once I probably should for submissions, so here:
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

"Never pet a burning dog"
    stuart98 and ace902902 like this.
  6. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

It seems problematic you have included so many things which will change each time balance does.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Agreed with Zaphod - you should probably remove things that refer to specific facts and figures and rely on more general guidelines.
  8. trialq

That is true, however to mitigate that I'm hosting the data on a website, so the data can be changed without having to update the mod. Tips and facts have also been separated, facts are more likely to change as they rely on raw numbers. I'll try and go through the list every time a major patch is released, but if I forget hopefully someone else will and let me know what's changed.

I don't think it's such an issue when patches are coming roughly once a week but we'll see. If it becomes too much of a burden then yes, I'll remove volatile bullet points.

If anyone has more general guidelines to add post them here.
  9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Well, if you're going to undertake to keep it updated then by all means include away! It's to the benefit of the wider community after all. I'm only thinking of you :)
  10. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

11. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

And the not so noob :D. Transporting boat and air fabbers is one I didn't know about.
  12. trialq

It's all good, pile the work on. I can always pass it on to someone who can keep it updated if I can't. If that happens and there's no one who wants to update it, then it wasn't worth updating anyway :p

Hello Mr kestrel. Such a shame matey didn't think to patrol his planet with AA too :D
  13. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

TIP: Halleys can be built anywhere! Make sure the planet you are building them on can actually be moved before you start building them!

TIP: Advanced power generators and metal extractors are much better than basic ones. As soon as you have and Advanced fabricator, stop building basic economic structures and work on advanced ones!

TIP: Using basic fabricators to assist and advanced fabricator is more economy-efficient than building many advanced fabricators

TIP: In the current balance, anti-nukes are less effective than scouting your enemy, building a nuke before he does, and nuking his nuke before he nukes your nuke! (say that last bit 10 times fast!)

Let's see if I can think of some more!
  14. trialq

Added two tips on halleys, two tips on advanced eco vs standard, and one tip on nukes/anti-nukes. Didn't add the fabricator tip as it's a duplicate of something already here. Thanks for your submissions.

I'll make a page soon to automatically have up to date lists of everything in the mod.
  15. superouman

superouman Post Master General

So you can transport a leviathan with the pelican?!
  16. trialq

No but that would be awesome, especially if they fired whilst being transported...

You can transport air fabricators and naval fabricators.
  17. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Oh okay, can you land naval fabbers on land?
  18. trialq

Pretty sure no. It's like trying to land land units on the water or on top of a building, nothing happens.
  19. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Great mod- I had an idea over in General Discussion about something similar to this, but with small tidbits of PA background lore. Could something like this be a possibility using this mod's framework?
  20. trialq

It would be easy to copy the code from this mod and adapt it to do what you need, feel free to do so (it's also simple enough to roll your own quickly, the mod doesn't do a lot). There is a single file that holds all of the data in an array, for this mod it's here: http://pa-mods.com/mods/tDidYouKnow/data.js

You could supply the data with the mod (requiring a mod update every time the lore snippets are updated), or put it on a server somewhere. Putting the lore on github is a real possibility, it's how PAMM manages updating mods. If you do go with github, it's probably best to stick to a javascript format as it's a site for programming (there may be some TOS issue if you don't use it for code).

If you install this mod, you can see the source code by going to your mod directory. On windows it's here:
    edit: Also, if you have questions or need help, just ask.