[REL] Custom Unit Names [64498]

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by LavaSnake, January 30, 2014.

1. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Provides a simple settings menu that lets you set your own custom names for each unit and building. The new name will appear on the build popup.
    Name Mod 2.PNG
    To set a new name open the settings menu and select the UI tab. In the unit renaming rules section a list of existing rules is shown. You can add, edit and delete rules using the buttons below the list. When editing a rule you must paste the original unit name in the real name box and enter the new name in the new name box. You can get the unit names in game or from a wiki like the PA Matches one.
    Name Mod 1.PNG

Updates:
    • v1.1 - Bug fixes
    • v1.2 - Gamma compatibility update
    • v1.3 - Bug fixes
    • v1.4 - Internal improvements and bug fixes (Now displays custom unit names on both the build bar pop ups and the hover over unit pop ups!)
    • v1.5 - Now displays custom unit names on the action part of hover over unit pop up too
    • v1.6 - Internal improvements
    • v1.7 - Support for Raevn's Blueprint Info Framework. (Now your custom unit names will show up in the Unit Database mod!)
    • v1.71 - Bug fix

This mod uses the epic UI mod manager from Raevn (Linux/mac version) so just set that up and then download this mod through the mods list.
    Last edited: April 29, 2014
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Great!:D
    Any chance on creating preset name themes and using the same settings key as the Planet Name themes mod? I'm excited about the idea of being able to change everything to Stargate or Star Wars in one click.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  3. LavaSnake

Great idea! You'd just need to add the following things to your themer mod's settings js file to make it work:
    1. Load your mod just after mine. (Just set priority to 101.)
    2. Check for the existence of my mod. (Check if model.LUnitNames.RulesArray exists.)
    3. Add a button to your settings that says something like: "Add unit renaming rules for this theme to your unit renaming rules list"
    4. Have a simple loop to add the rules for each unit name to model.LUnitNames.RulesArray in this format:
      Code:
      RealName > ThemedName
    5. Save the array with these commands:
      Code:
      window.localStorage.LUnitNames_Rules_List = model.LUnitNames.RulesArray;
      model.LUnitNames_Rules_options(model.LUnitNames.RulesArray);
    My mod will take care of the rest all by its self.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  4. cptconundrum

This will be a huge step towards theming the client. I would include a new start scene background for each theme if I knew how to deal with papa files. I've already played around with making a total annihilation themed image, but with places for PA buttons instead.

Attached Files:

tristanlorius, trialq and cola_colin like this.
  5. LavaSnake

Cool. And I'm happy to help if you have any issues/questions with the above integration with this mod.
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Yes! :)
    minecrafter1094 likes this.
  7. LavaSnake

Glad you liked my lame example name! :D
  8. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

This is awesome.

'nuff said
  9. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Gotta love this mod. I have a compulsive need to change the "Gil-E" bot to something that better suits PA's naming convention.
  10. LavaSnake

Glad you like it! This should be a lot more awesome once cptconundrum integrates it with his planet name themer.
  11. cptconundrum

So much to do!:)

As always with the themes, I would appreciate any contributions from other people. If someone can come up with a list of name conversions for even one of the themes, that would save so much time. The themes probably take just as much time to make as the code and are a lot more important because that's the only part people actually see.
  12. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

Here's some TA lists. A few liberties have been taken (using UH names instead of bland ones, resolving the double Avenger conflict).

Arm:
    And for the dirty CORE scum:
    cptconundrum likes this.
  13. cptconundrum

Yes! So much to do
  14. LavaSnake

I'd be happy to work on the stargate unit names. It's not going to be a complete list do to the differences between the technologies used in SG-1 and PA but I should be able to come up with names for at least some of the units.
  15. cptconundrum

There's no hurry on it. I probably won't touch the themes mod until system sharing works.
  16. LavaSnake

ok, if I get the time I may go ahead and add the integration myself. Would you be ok if I updated it for you?
  17. cptconundrum

If you did that, it would be amazing. The theme files could probably be extended with a function to set the unit names so that themes are still kept as a single file each. Your idea for a checkbox in settings to turn it on or off is good, and you know more about hooking into your mod than I do. Whoever starts it first should post back here so we don't do it at the same time.
  18. LavaSnake

ok, will do.
  19. superouman

superouman Post Master General

The bomb bot should be named "Replicant".
    LavaSnake likes this.
  20. LavaSnake

YES!!