[REL] Blender importer/exporter for PAPA files - v0.5

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Raevn, June 15, 2013.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

[​IMG]

Is there any way to delete the vertex groups? socket_leftMuzzle should not be there, for example. (yes i tried right clicking and pressing delete and X)

Other than that, this is the same setup as the single laser turret (one barrel)
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Don't have blender installed atm, but I believe you can remove them in the properties panel (where you allocate verticies to the groups)
  3. killerkiwijuice

Welp.

Still getting the error. Do all vertices in the mex have to be assigned to a bone?

The properties menu worked though.
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

All vertices, yes. To find any ungrouped ones, select all, then go through each vertex group and click deselect - you'll be left with just the ungrouped vertices selected.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  5. killerkiwijuice

Is there anything else that could cause the error besides un-grouped vertices? :confused: (i found all missing ones and assigned them)
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Can you attach/pm me the model? I'll take a look tonight (about 12 hours from now).
  7. killerkiwijuice

Prepare for a noob-ish polyflow and jagged edges:D

Thanks also, no rush either, I will be gone for a good 24 hours ;) Sent the model via PM.
  8. jgentle

jgentle New Member

9. allister

allister Active Member

@raevn I understand that the texture is a separate papa from the model, but how do I tell Blender/your exporter what the name of the texture is? Check the attachment. Mine: 0 textures; Uber: 1 texture.

Attached Files:

10. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I'm afraid this exporter is only for units; it doesn't support exporting with textures (more specifically, it doesn't support the slightly different format that terrain objects use). :(
    allister likes this.
  11. allister

allister Active Member

Wasn't it common knowledge that Blender had a bad FBX export? It took about 20 hours, but I finally figured out how to properly export an FBX file with Blender. Its FBX export is fine. I did not need the papa exporter or 3ds Max. I'll be sharing the how-to knowledge soon. Hear that everyone? Yay! :D

Sneak peek of the planet I'm making:
    [​IMG]
    cdrkf, Diaboy, Raevn and 2 others like this.
  12. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

EXCELLENT!

Now can you figure out how to get an animated bot into the game without Max? :)
    Maldor96 likes this.
  13. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

Nice work guys, been away for awhile
  14. killerkiwijuice

I found a bug

I am exporting an original .fbx file to .papa with bones, and the bone vertex groups get swaped.

In game, this means the bone_root will rotate to shoot things, and the bone_turret will be static. It's like they swaped places.
    Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  15. killerkiwijuice

I just found out that this is a stupid mistake on my part and not a bug. The vertex group order was messed up (bone_root was below bone_turret).
    cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  16. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

So @raevn, I was wondering, I noticed that you ignore the bone X,Y,Z and instead just use the offsetX,Y,Z to import the bone locations. Sooo, I've just been ignoring that part, and working on getting offsetX,Y,Z and the rotation matrix to be correct for the export. I am now running into issues because I think now the X,Y,Z parts are wrong. But without you using that in the import, it's hard for me to figure out what they are supposed to be used for.

Here is a picture, after exporting just the bones of the boom bot model, and then reimporting them. You will note they are in the right place, facing the right direction, but their roll is a bit off. Presently I am not sure if the roll is actually significant or not. That is part of what I want to figure out.
    [​IMG]
    Then problem is that if I use the boom bot model using my exporter the limbs all end up in space. Like, its really high up and it seems to be scaled into space by a huge amount.
    Alpha2546 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  17. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

When I import the teleporter model in Blender I don't get anything resembling the teleporter.
    All other models I tried imported fine.
  18. killerkiwijuice

Yeah it's super weird how some models import fine and others don't. Try importing the t1 air factory.

EDIT: Actually it looks like Blender is importing the nav mesh for the teleporters. Nav meshes are separate objects and it seems like the importer choses only one object if there is more than one object. That's why the air factory is imported weird as well.

The advanced air factory nav mesh seems to be excluded.
    Last edited: August 8, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  19. iuvius1

iuvius1 New Member

where's the download link?
  20. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

There is no link. The very first post has a file attached. Download that.