Regarding some details we'll be releasing today

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, August 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Uber have corrected their information (and what is provided by Nordic) however they don't have the ability to control what 3rd party retailers are advertising. As long as the *information on the box* is accurate then I think they're ok. I mean I could set up a web shop to distribute BMW's and plaster ads all over the place saying the new 3 series comes equipped with a rocket launcher- I don't think that would make BMW liable though....
  2. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Yes and no...
    In that case the web shop owner is responsible. Actually he is is any way if he was the one to advertise this way. Even if BMW had included wrong informations in their catalog, he would be liable for delivering the features he promised the customers. Possible claims against BMW from the shop owner not excluded (unless stated so in the catalog). The customer has no direct claims against BMW at all, unless is was BMW who had run the advertisement.

Right now, I can't find even a SINGLE web shop which has correct informations about the feature set of the launch version online.

http://www.nordicgames.at/index.php/product/planetary_annihilation was apparently updated some times in the last week, but the updated information hasn't been spread yet to resellers.
    Last edited: August 26, 2014
  3. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

The thing about RCBM is that it might not be perfectly balanced, but it's going into the right direction. With vanilla you can see from 10 miles away that there is practically no system behind the balance. Instead of giving a purpose/role to every single unit, it sems more like every unit is supposed to be able to fight everything.

Instead of making the choice of which units tobuild a strategic one, it's more like a choice of personal preference. That's not how you balance a rts.

It's obvious that Uber should try to realize their own vision. But sadly it seems that the implementation of that vision simply sucks.

When I look at how scathis does balance, I sometimes have to think about a child trying to put a squared object into a circle. It seems pretty random to me.

Greetings
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  4. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

Congrats Uber! Really enjoyed the journey and look forward to all the possibilities of the future. :)

You say this balance, they say that balance, I say diversify yo balance options yo! No one way is correct.
    Isn't that why Uber made the game modifiable? So that individuals or groups of people could create versions of PA that better match their vision of balance or whatever? I am tired of reading posts suggesting that the community all agrees that this mod balance is better and they should have used it for vanilla. Or uber clearly is going in the wrong balance direction... opinions are opinions nothing more. And until more than half of the player base is on a different balance mod keep the community is on my side stuff out of it.

@Arachnis that child reference is completely uncalled for. So anyone who does things differently than how you would do them reminds you of a child? What a narrow minded thing to say. At least children have an imagination and the ability to see that there are many ways of doing something... something that seems to have been extracted from your school of thought.

Again though good job Uber you have already made a very enjoyable game in my book!
    corteks, drz1 and MrTBSC like this.
  5. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

I really hope you fix the UI problems on Linux before then otherwise I'm going to be pretty annoyed.
    classic1977, Brokenshakles and tg230 like this.
  6. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Oh well, sorry for saying it in such a non-challant way. I just saw it as a fitting analogy. Imo scathis does it in a way that is very random and without thinking it through, kind of a head through the wall method. It might work eventually, but it's not very promising nor efficient.

If I see someone trying to balance a unit by making it aquatic, swarming, cheap, fast and able to shoot air, even if it's only an experiment, then I seriously start to doubt that person's qualifications.

I don't have a problem when people do it differently than I would, as long as there is some structure behind it. Statera and RCBM are both good examples of how I wouldn't have done it. But I can see the idea and structure behind them and consider both mods to be high quality work with a lot of thought behind them.

Sorry for being harsh. I just enjoy criticizing very much. You can call me a sadistic ***hole for that. But I'd just take that as a compliment.

Greetings
    ace63 likes this.
  7. classic1977

classic1977 Member

Lol, my thread about how the Linux client is currently unpayable wasn't "constructive" despite 4 pages of replies. And then Brad suggests I "submit a report"... There has been a report up for weeks, lol, did he even read it? This game isn't 1.0 ready. Good luck with that.

EDIT: Wow look at that, a user 2 posts before me has the same issue.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well your title was pretty baity, a lot of replies doesn't necessarily mean constructive either.

Create a new thread, in the correct section next time and it'll turn out better.
    pieman2906 likes this.
  9. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

I dont think the thread was shut down because it wasn't constructive. It was locked down because there is already a thread in the troubleshooting forum over this, and the bug tracker has already been updated to track the issue. Additionally, Brad himself did the locking, so you know he is going to pass the word down to the Linux dev. It will get looked at, plenty of people have complained and Uber is not so blind to have not noticed.

Edit
    (Troubleshooting Thread): https://forums.uberent.com/threads/clicking-gets-stuck.60755/

(Bug Tracker): http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/index.php?do=details&task_id=2392
    pieman2906 and squishypon3 like this.
  10. classic1977

classic1977 Member

The point, is that you can't call a game "1.0" in a state like this.
  11. Brokenshakles

Last time I checked, it's not 1.0 yet, so that is not a relevant objection at this point.
  12. classic1977

classic1977 Member

Ya, I'm sure this bug won't exist in 1.0.
  13. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Where's the unicornso_O
  14. tg230

tg230 New Member

I am wondering if making a Linux bugs mega-thread with links to open showstopper bugs, all info we have regarding them from Uber, and most importantly making it here in GD or in the top level of the Support forum woud be worthwhile. Right now all that information is spread out in a million places. It could help increase visibility of these problems to other Linux users that might be looking into the game for the first time. Anyone familiar with the average forum visitor will know subforums of subforums are essentially invisible to them. The same goes for off forum bug trackers. In addition it would give a single post where all these issues could be tracked by regular users.

If people think this is a good idea I would be able to make it in a few hours when I get off work.
  15. Brokenshakles

Ask Squishy, I believe he lives in the magical land of unicorns.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Implying 1.0 games can't have bugs. Even AAA title 1.0 games have bugs. :p
    corteks likes this.
  17. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

I agree. PA is just one build away from being 1.0, and the developers are working hard to get new features and changes into the game.

Most, if not, all of the major bugs will get fixed in 1.0. Although some minor bugs will remain, the major bugs (crashing of all types, black screen, etc.) would have been eliminated by then.
  18. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

while i'm very sorry that you're experiencing issues, i suggest not to **** up other threads with complaints about your old thread. it's not the way to get things done.
    pieman2906 likes this.
  19. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

That shouldn't be the standard. Hold them to the zero bug standard. Give them slack if they need it. Once 1.0 hits, its going to be insane how picky people are.

Also, we need a bigger hype machine.
  20. Brokenshakles

And more pictures of Brad looking awesome.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.